Options

SmartCraft 100 and 1000 Gauges

jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
OK guys, I decided to skip the VV route just because the amount of moification that is needed. I am going to the SC1000 kit (79-8M0079880) that has the tach and speedo gauges with the J box and harness and air sensor. I also wanted to add the SC100 4 in 1 gauge while I am at it to add uniformity (79-8M0052879). My question is does anyone know where tie in the 4 in 1 to receive the data? If its to the j box or where? If so, do you have a P/N? Just looking to finalize this so I can place the order. Then I am going to replace my fuel sender and the fuel sender harness that ties into the ECM harness

Any help would be appreciated!
Boat Name: Knot A Worry
2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

JME firstly you have to decide whether you want the SC1000 tach OR speedo - you can't get both. The tach allows you to control rpm from 500 - 800 in increments of 10 rpm. I have this one, because it gives me great speed control for trolling while I fish.

The SC100 4 in 1 just plugs into the back of the SC1000. Every gauge has an input and an ouput, so you can keep daisy chaining the SC100 guages and add as many as you like. All data goes via the wires, and the gauge is designed to extra the data it needs to present what you see on the gauge. Once you get the SC1000 in the SC100 install is a breeze.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MarkB, the part number that he lists above is a kit that comes with the tach and the speedo. If it comes in a kit, why can't both be installed?
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Oh. I thought he was referring to speed and tach on a single guage. Yes a kit with each individual gauge will work. Not sure if one has to be a master though. The instructions will obviously clear that up.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Oh alright so I guess all the wires and everything will come with it. We'll see as I am ordering this week. Just need to research a good fuel sender and get that ordered with the 6 pin connector and I'll be ready for installation
    Post edited by jme097 on
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Did you read my answer on that above? It plugs directly into the SC1000. Anyone of them. Basically it's called daisy chain connections. The one plugs into the SC 1000,  the next plugs into the one you just plugged in, the next plugs into that. Each gauge has a plug in and plug out. It basically puts all the gauges on a bus and they extract whatever digital info they need.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    @MarkB I understand that everything is daisy chained but I know for a fact that the 4 in 1 (p/n: 79-8M0052879) does not come with a link cable. I want to know the part number for link cable so when I go to install I don't have any delays. I'll just call Mercury. Thanks for the help regardless
  • Options
    When I got the SC 100 the year after I installed the SC 1000 I didn't order another one cable. I'm pretty sure the cable came with the SC 100. Anyhow yes call Merc.  Who knows how they are packaging it now.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    @MarkB are you pulling in NMEA for the speedo?
  • Options

I don't have the speedo, I have the tach SC1000.  So I only get a GPH reading. It's easy for me though. 30 mph / 15 gph = 2 mpg.  That's what I'm aiming to hit whenever I am boating.

By the way, you'll want to make sure you get the right bezels for the SC1000 and SC100 guages. I had to order the chrome ones separately to keep with the bezels of the other instruments I left on the dash.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Thanks @MarkB. Got all the part numbers for th 85mm and 110mm chrome bezels arlready. I appreciate you looking out!
  • Options
    @MarkB got a question for you...after doing some searching turns out there are 2 different 4 in 1 gauges. Part numbers are 79-8879946K11 AND 79-8M0052879. Right after the same price for each $180-$225 but they have a little different font. Im thinking the 79-8879946K11 but just want to see if you knew. 
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Looks like there are different faces.

I found this one on amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mercury-SmartCraft-gauge-4-multifunctional/dp/B00N6DDW62

Mine is definitely a different face. There's a picture of mine below.

This is the brochure I used to order my part. See page 6.

http://mercurymarine.co.za/files/brochures/8m0063378_2012gaugectlg_lr2_0.pdf

I believe I ordered the grey-plastic model 8879946K1, assuming "grey" means the color of the face I have. Although the one on amazon also has a grey face but the text is different (mine has white text).

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    It is a shame that we have to look at mercs sites from around the world to find a part number for a gauge. I guess that keeps the masses from being DIY boat guys here in this hemisphere.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Greg you are right - I searched high and low for that brochure. In the end I found it in SOUTH AFRICA!  There's more humor in that, both my kids were born in South Africa, lol. I'm like ... what a coincidence.  I wish mercury would get their act together on the SmartCraft parts and brochures.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
     I think they would sell a lot more of them if they made it easier for us to find part numbers.

Did the gauges fit in the opening or did you have to get a small filler made up? I heard that the Faria gauges are slightly larger than standard gauges.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    You guys arent kidding about how hard it is to find part numbers and other info. Holy cow. Its unreal!

I really like that gray face to your gauges. I as going to get the white just for the normal reasons but maybe ill swap them for the grey. 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark, is that a universal mount for the Lowrance? Or is it made by them?
  • Options
    So I was looking at the Speedo/tach kit as mentioned above and I really liked the grey that @MarkB has so I called the company that I was going to purchase the white kit from ($700) and they had a grey kit that was pretty much from a dealer demo boat for $420 for everything (gauges, new harness, sensor and manual). Saved almost $300 and he said for some reason if the gauges don't work upon install to just give him a call and he'll take care of me (hope that does't happen). 

Figured for almost 50% it was too good of a deal to pass up! Super pumped

• Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Handy that looks like a ram mount I use them on my atvs.search ram mounts
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    Greg the gauges fit right in. Didn't have to do anything to the holes.

Handy it's a RAM mount. It attaches to the fish finder using a plate with many holes in it so you can easily mount just about any fish finder or gps. 

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ram makes an amazing array of mounts.  Their Web site is something else. 
  • Options
    Looking at the harness from the speedo. Has a blue and a white wire and from what I gather are for NMEA 0183? Did some reading on the net and from what I gather I can hook up a NMEA0183 GPS antenna to it and that'll do the trick. If anyone wants to chime in, feel free!
  • Options
    Michael T said:
    Ram makes an amazing array of mounts.  Their Web site is something else. 

Yup, check out the cellphone holder to the left of my compass on the picture above. I can put on music, radar alerts, whatever on it. It's my 3rd display!

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Jme097
    you would be lot better with NMEA 2000 than 0183 easier to install and better technology just plug in no splicing of wires.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    @frenchship the blue and white wires are for NMEA0183. How would I get NMEA2000 to it? Do they make a converter? Any input would be appreciated! I think at this point either mercury's triducer or a NMEA1083 GPS antenna is going to be my route 
    Post edited by jme097 on
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    I did not follow your thread completely   
    From what I understand you would use mercruiser sc1000 it should support NMEA 2000
    that was a thread on this forum in 2014 on this subject. Also NMEA 2000 is more precise and could be used with any other electronics you could add in the future

https://shar.es/14Yzw8

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @frenchship, you are correct about the compatibility of NMEA 2000 with all manufacturers' products. 
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Post edited by jme097 on
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    So I called Kim at Mercury regarding all this. The SC1000 speedo does NOT accept NMEA2000 input to get GPS speed. I am just going to go with the MercMonitor Level 1 (N2K) with SC100 tach and 4 in 1 gauge. Easiest way of doing this for sure. 

My next question is can I receive all my engine data from the smartcraft harness and receive my speed from N2K connection? Or do I need to install a N2K gateway from the ECM to the backbone and read everything off there?
    Post edited by jme097 on
  • Options
    @MarkB question regarding the 4 in 1 SC100 gauge you put in. DOes your gauge work for the oil temperature? I heard from somewhere the ECM reads everything but the oil temperature. Please tell me I am wrong