Options

SmartCraft 100 and 1000 Gauges

2»

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All 4 instruments work. I have a 2011 350 MAG MPI. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    2 Seasons ago, I added the Mercruiser  NMEA 2000 dual engine gateway to my Lowrance HDS 5 and my Lowrance 7200C plotter. The two Lowrance displays are networked together and both will show engine data with the addition of the NMEA 2000 gateway.
    I am replacing my 7200C with and HDS 7 and replacing the HDS 5 with an HDS 8 display so that I can get better data displays on both HDS units and also upgrading my Lowrance radar from the LRA-1800 to the 3G broadband radar.

Attached is the diagram that Mercury Marine sent me - they were extremely helpful via phone.
    Here are the part numbers I used:
    1) NMEA 2000 Gateway - 8M0065208 (dual engine gateway)
    2) 2 J-Boxes - 878492K14
    3) 2 CAN Data harnesses - 879981T10 - 10' cables since I mounted the J-Boxes on the firewall.
    4) CAN Link Harness - 891957K01
    5) Dual Engine Instrument Adapter - 892323T01

I bought most all of the stuff needed on E-Bay and spent < $600 for everything. The hookup was really quite simple since I already had the Lowrance NMEA 2000 backbone in the engine compartment for the Lowrance EP-10 fuel flow devices I installed when I bought my boat in 2008.
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Thanks @MarkB I guess its worth a shot. Although I am installing the MercMonitor, I do like having the critical info available at a glance without scrolling.  Also, what color do your gauges light up with at night? 

Random question as well - If I installed a NMEA 2000 depth/temp transducer and tied into the existing network, should that information feed into the MercMonitor or only my Lowrance?
    Post edited by jme097 on
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    To be honest I can't remember the color of the instruments at night. They do look cool though.

My guess is the depth will only be on the lowrance as I'd be suprised if the Merc monitor even cares about that. But I could be wrong. 

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    @MarkB you are correct about the depth. I called Merc and they said the MM will not accept the NMEA depth or temp. I would have to use there smartcraft transducer to have that data. I guess the only data it receives is the GPS speed 
  • Options
    Sorry to bring up an old post here but I am in the middle of trying to get my oil temperature on my MercMonitor. I emailed Mercury and they responded back with the following...

"We do not have engine oil temperature as an option on any of our standard MerCruiser engines only on some of our Racing engines.  We do not make a sensor that can be added to your engine. The ECM on your engine is not programmed to monitor the engine oil temperature."

@MarkB does your 4 in 1 show your real oil temperature? I am just curious as to why Mercury makes a bunch of different gauges that show "Oil Temp" when the engines they make have no way of telling you the oil temperature. It just doesn't make sense to me.  I have a feeling I got a bogus answer. I usually get an answer back from Kim but this time it was someone else.

Just trying to find an answer to this because I can get a oil temp reading on my analog gauges but not my new SC gauges. I don't feel comfortable getting rid of the old gauge at this point. 

• Options
    My 4 in 1 doesn't display oil temp. It shows oil pressure, gas level, engine temp (water) and battery voltage. 

If you're talking about my system guage I'm not sure. Need to check that.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    @MarkB no worries sir. I appreciate the feed back!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just checked my 4 in 1 and it has oil pressure but no oil temp.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    ****. I guess its not that important then lol