Options

re painting out drive

2»

Answers

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so , it looks like this is a stainless bolt- isn't that a set up for corrosion at some point anyway? It was not broken, I twisted off the head when I tried to remove. The area around it was corroded, paint was falling off- underneath the bolt it appears that it was painted so it looks like the contact to the drive was the threaded area as the surface where the hole is looks like it has paint. I will check the others in the process. Should be a stainless bolt?
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should be stainless but when 2 different metals mate together, thats not good unless you use some anti sieze lube.
  • Options
    ah, perhaps that's why I twisted the dang thing off, it had a anti sieze coating that apparently did not help with that. That "pad" where the screw goes in was badly corroded all around it. Perhaps a bad grounding is what helped caused the corrosion on the drive? Should there really be bare metal there as suggested above for proper contact? If I leave a bare spot, I can always hit it with some paint to cover and seal it up I suppose....I need to get oil and filter today and will hit Marine Max and look at some of the motors in the yard and see if I can learn anything there- stainless hardware is not the easiest thing to find...suppose Lowe's would have a boldt if Marine Max can't come up with one. Trying to splash this weekend!
  • Options
    Dont try to over analyze this Ras. 
  • Options
    But I would fix the bonding wire
  • Options
    Hey, I'm just painting and fixing but I don't want to do anything that makes my corrosion a worse problem! It seems like a pretty feeble ground connection at best.