Options

I'm back.. Last summer experience and looking for feedback.

Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

It's good to be back!  It's cool that you guys remember me!  I don't know what happened... I got lost in the ether I guess.  Didn't do much Interneting all summer, and didn't think about the boards until I started getting the boating itch.   I neglected my all of my message boarding everywhere...  Sorry guys.  :/  o:)

Last summer was great, I put ~65 hours on my boat so I got to use it a lot!  Just stayed in Lake St. Clair, the St. Clair river and the bays.  Water levels were so high it was really cool to be able to get way up into all of the bays.  Other than a drunk guy leaving a 2 inch long scrape on my starboard side with his boat while trying to back into a slip next to me (grrr), no other incidents.

Boat was flawless all summer.  Did seem to use a little bit of oil, but that's normal I guess (or so says Mercury Marine).  They want me to document oil consumption every 10 hours and report back.  Sent me a bunch of paperwork to fill out too.  They offered me the option to purchase the extended warranty on the motor/drive so it'll be covered after the initial two years are up.  I'm going to do that for sure.  What do you guys think?  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ether? How much for Warranty? MT is thinking the same
  • Options

Ether... lol - Ether, or æther, was the mysterious substance once thought to suffuse the universe and be the medium that propagated light (and radio waves once they were discovered). Before that, it was the material that suffused the realm of the Gods

Warranty prices.. adds to the 2-year initial warranty;  1-year $520, 2-years $920, 3-years $1270, 4-years $1620, 5-years $1980, 6-years $2330.

It seems odd that oil consumption is "normal".  My other boats didn't "use" oil... at least not that I noticed (I wasn't as vigilant with maintenance with those though).  I don't WOT this boat, half of my usage is idle or off-plane and the rest is mostly cruising at ~3800 or 3900 RPM.  For reference, WOT on my boat is ~5200RPM at just over 42mph GPS (44-45mph on the speedo).  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    Read my thread: Bad news and see what I found on my boat!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would get as much extended warranty as you can afford. I bought 3 extra years and wish I'd bought 6 now! My drive seal had to be replaced and it was fully covered under warranty. It's really good to have.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought the Mercury Platinum coverage for 6 more years. The Platinum package is from Mercury and is the same as their original factory coverage and applies to the engines,  drives,  DTS throttles, Axius joystick and Vessel View systems. FWIW  I would not buy any third party coverage,  only OEM Mercury. 
  • Options
    Yeah... it's the Mercury Platinum plan.  I figure... even if I only plan on keeping the boat for another couple of years, having the extra warranty will help when selling as well. -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    Mike,  that was exactly my reason. 
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    So then I have to ask...why buy a brand new boat and then sell in a few years?  Resale? Always want the latest and greatest models?  Reliability?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Don't forget net loss
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Just my take.  I was looking for my first boat.  I kind of knew what I was looking for since my family had boats my entire young life.  The 342 was available to me, new, at a price that seemed ok.  Did the great loop aboard her as well as other trips.  And more are planned.  Awesome choice.  Comfortable for two to live aboard for long voyages.  Seaworthy and manageable.  What more is there?

Resale $$ is not an issue for us.  I am not sure I would make this my main parameter.  How long will you have the boat.  How will you use the boat.  What do you expect of the boat.  And if it is a good boat for you, it will be a good boat for the next owner whenever that time comes.

And the warranty that comes with a new boat that had a novice owner was very useful.

My dad made a comment to me once.  He observed that I tend to keep things for a very long time.  A case in point here!

Tony
    Salt Shaker 342
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Hence the reason the next boat I purchase will be a brand new one with an extended warranty. If you can get the boat (at an expo or show) which great incentives and more options on top for a heII of a price why not? The 310 I was looking at this week brand new 2016 was going to be cheaper than some USED 310's that I have seen for sale recently. 
    Post edited by raybo3 on
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
     06Rinker270 said:
    So then I have to ask...why buy a brand new boat and then sell in a few years?  Resale? Always want the latest and greatest models?  Reliability?

Cause I'm RICH!!!!  Haha.. I wish.. nowhere near.  That was actually part of my reason for buying new.

I was looking at used larger boats.  I had a $$$ limit in mind that I wanted to stay under.  I was at the 2014 Metro Beach show, came across the Hideaway area (Mostly Rinkers) and REALLY liked them.  Long story short, liked a 260 they had there.. price was right, warranty AND THAT DARN BRAND NEW BOAT SMELL!  I am a little OCD, so I always worry about how a previous owner would take care of a boat.  Plus.. this boat with a single would be so much less expensive to run/maintain and similar if not slightly sportier performance vs a larger boat.  I didn't buy the one at the show though.. I got one they had in their showroom with a larger engine and more options for similar $$$.  Cost less than the used larger boats I was looking at.

I got a VERY fair deal.  Used 2012s and 2013s are still asking more online than what I paid for mine new.  It had none of the options I didn't want (didn't want A/C or Generator).  I sort of wanted the arch, but not a biggie.  Without those options though, my boat planes fast, cruises at ~30mph and does 45mph on the speedo with a few people, 2/3 tank gas (which reads full on the gauge.. lol) and water on board. all with the 350 MAG/B3.

I go to the boat shows and look online all of the time for boats to upgrade to.. and for the $$$, or even a bit more $$$, there's nothing I'd rather have.  I don't know... I might end up holding onto this boat longer than I think.  B)  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    if its a brand new boat, its going to burn a quart of oil before the first oil change
     cuz the piston rings aint set right yet (direct quote from a local hotrodder). After the first oil change keep an eye on it. I bet it wont burn anymore oil
  • Options
    If you run the boat hard it will always burn oil. Manage the load and the rpms and you shouldn't burn oil  (after breakin).

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I expected to burn some oil with my new 2013 twin 350 Mag's and again with my 2014 twin 502 Mag's but nothing at all up to the first changes at 20 hours and again at my 50 hour changes.  Now I had better knock on wood! LOL
  • Options
    @Mike_G same thing here for the 310 I want. At the boat show, they were going to sell me a brand new 310 with a hardtop upgrade for less than the 310's I've seen go for online USED. By a considerable amount as well. 
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Thats crazy, might just be looking at new boats for my next one.  @jme097 what was the 310 going for?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    MT, run that boat at close to WOT for 30 minutes, and I bet it will burn oil.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    He is scared to run that fast for that long
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Who in their right mind would run a boat with gasoline marine engines  at close to WOT for 30 minutes? Far too rough on the engines and far too expensive on fuel consumption. Steve, I can tow a 342 faster than your diesels will go! LOL
  • Options
    Too much Rum again MT?
  • Options
    LMAO
  • Options
    MT, we could always have a pulling contest  :)
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Could the weak link in that concept be the cleat attachments to the deck?
  • Options
    Michael T said:
    Who in their right mind would run a boat with gasoline marine engines  at close to WOT for 30 minutes? Far too rough on the engines and far too expensive on fuel consumption. Steve, I can tow a 342 faster than your diesels will go! LOL

Racing boats using merc marine engines.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    edited February 2016
    That's the thing... I rarely run WOT, and if I do, it's for less than a minute to get ahead of cross traffic or out of the way of another boat.  Cruising at ~3800RPM (maybe 3900 with a heavy load) is a little high though... maybe that could do it? -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Should run your boat WOT for a couple minutes every time you leave the dock. Checking to make sure you get full RPM and speed. Maybe catch a problem before it becomes a major problem......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Ray,  I have VV 7.  I can quickly check if any thing is out of spec. I only run my boats at WOT for specific reasons (initial dial-in and the very odd time to confirm VV data.  

• Options
    Why MT, with your economic status you should run WOT till you need fuel every time out!
  • Options
    Lmao