Options

I'm back.. Last summer experience and looking for feedback.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

WOT did you say??? 

Harr de harr harr.  o:) I had to say it.  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Nothing beats knowing for sure if your boat can get to WOT by going WOT. I am sure VV7 is good but you cant always tell by gauges. Does VV7 tell you that you may have too much growth on the bottom? Maybe I am just old school........ Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod

well, I'm a bit torn between both Raybo and MTs comments.  I have VV and yes, you can figure it all out with going WOT.  Growth on bottom, well, with VV you know digitally the exact rpms for the speed and fuel burn, if it changes, then something such as growth is affecting it.  Although, I do think it is good to go WOT once in a while to just 'get the bugs out'.  I probably only go WOT twice a year for a minute or two, but could do it a bit more.  Not sure about every other time out though.

It's sure fun to listen to you all go back and forth and Handy's comments thrown in to try to stir the brew!  (Oh, and bottom growth??  what is that?  must be something for those without lifts?  ever hear of that Handy?...yeah, me neither) :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Hahahaha
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dream, you are finally thinking like me  :p
  • Options
    Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    No bottom growth here.  :p  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have nothing against going WOT once or twice a year for a minute or two as DI says but why more than that?  On an 80 degree day with humidity around 60% and "normal for my boat load"  I will run between, 32 to 34 MPH at 3400 RPM.  If there are current or wind factors that will change. So I always know very close to how the boat should be running at normal, for me,  planing speeds.  With the VV 7 upgrades of 2015 I can view or print out any data I want,  from the day the engines were first started  -  so why beat my engines if I don't need to.  BTW long before I had any VV type electronics I could "feel"  if any of my boats were "off". I didn't need to go WOT to figure that out!  :-) 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    Dream, you are finally thinking like me  :p

I believe, you are thinking like me! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No but I copied you  :)
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised how fast the larger than 270's cruise- I'm probably running 3800rpm to run 25-30 mph but two power plants obviously make a big difference- in a lot of ways!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Ras, on a bigger cruiser that has twins,  if you size the engines right you can get amazing,  for a boat, performance in speed, planing and fuel efficiency. This is particularly true  for Rinkers as we are already starting with one of the fastest cruiser hulls on the industry, so it makes sense,  to me,  to match the best engine combo to it!  When the Admiral wanted to get into cruising it was a new area for me. All my life I had been a "go fast" owner, so I knew exactly what to expect from my engines and boats. But not so with cruisers which were a new area to me.  So,  going to cruising I spent the summer before "interviewing" anyone who would talk with me about cruisers. I wrote the comments in a log which the Admiral and I used to option our first cruiser. Since we are talking about engines here I'll mention the number one comment I was told (99%) of the time - get the biggest engines that you can afford that will fit into your engine bay. As an example -  when we were looking at buying a new Rinker 360 we interviewed owners of Rinker  350s and 360s.  Every one of them said get the big blocks. Many of them had twin 350s or twin 377s and they said the engines had to work far too hard,  we're difficult to get on plane and got a lot worse MPG than the the 496s,  which were the big block option from Mercury at the time.   Every owner with twin 496s that we spoke with  was very happy with their choice. Now when we boat with people who have a T 350s or T 360s our T 502s outperform their boats in every aspect. So,  that's what I've found out.