Options

Rinker 192 restoration

blackcreekblackcreek Member Posts: 20
edited March 2016 in Rinker Sport Boat Forum
I just bought an extremely neglected 2006 192 Captiva. This boat was simply a product of years of non use and has a whopping 37 hours on it. Being stored outside for 10 years has been tough on the finish and the interior vinyl (mold). The only plus has been the cockpit cover saved the interior from years of sun exposure. I bought this from the original owner who probably set some sort of record on cost per hour for a 19 foot bow rider. He was still making payments on the boat and was paying to store it at the local storage lot.  I will post up restoration pictures as I get into the project.

As the boat sat in the storage lot.

At home in the driveway

After getting the boat home the first project was getting the lower unit off the boat which proved to be not so simple. I knew there was going to be a problem because the owner said the volvo outdrive had never been off but after two days of soaking with pb blaster,heating, and banging on the rear pin I finally met with success.  The paint on the rear of the outdrive was bubbling due to years of sun exposure and one of the trim rams is leaking due to the seals drying out. The rest of the drive was in very good shape and pulled right off the boat with no problems. The inner transom shield shows almost zero corrosion and the gimbal bearing and u-joints look like new.

First up after getting the drive off was gel coat restore. So far I have the starboard side done with 5 passes starting with 1000,1500,2000 wet sanding then the last two passes with buffer and 3m rubbing compound and 3m marine finishing compound.
See above for before picture and here is after.

I had to take the trim motor apart and clean it up to get it running along with cleaning the trim solenoids and wiring connections but it now works. Trim cylinder rebuild, carb rebuild, water pump rebuild, gas tank flush and various tune up and filter replacement are all in the future. I bought the boat assuming the motor would be no good but I may get lucky because it turned over by hand even though it has not run for four years. We rarely get freezing temps in Jacksonville but I looked up the temperature records before buying the boat and there was one night of 28 degrees for 7 hours two years ago. Hopefully it was not enough to freeze the block but I won't know until I start the boat up.    
More to follow...

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice. That hull looked like mine when I bought it. Good work
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Looks great good job.......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic deal and wicked good work. Love the pics. I had a 2004 190 Rinker with a 4.3LX that I eventually put a 350 magnum in and then stroked that to a 390HP 383. That boat is still going strong. Rinker 190s are built tough. Yours looks awesome. Not to be rude, but what kind of idiot was the previous owner? Worked well for you though! ;-) Please keep the pics coming. A short drop to 28 degrees probably hasn't hurt the block!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is the interior and canvas?
  • Options
    The interior vinyl is all covered in mold, the canvas cover is also. The thread on the canvas is sun rotted but the material itself is in decent condition. I am going to have the local canvas shop re-stitch the cover.
  • Options
    Pulled the raw water pump to replace the impeller and seal but the bearing did not feel smooth so I pulled the pump apart and was greeted by a rusty bearing. You can see the water intrusion on the back of the housing. Time for a new seal and bearing.

• Options
    At least you are doing your maintenance and up-grades. When you're done you'll have a great boat at a fraction of the price!
  • Options
    NRathNRath Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    Awesome start, Blackcreek.  I got my 1st powerboat last summer- '06 192, also. I liked my graphics pretty well until I see your Liberty edition graphics!  I can't believe the shine came back as well as it did- gj.  I'm a little more fortunate that the original owner did a little better job of maintenance, but didn't use it much more- only 80 hrs.
  • Options
    You guys both did well,  congratulations! 
  • Options
    The entire inside vinyl looks like this.

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recover all your seats. I don't think you will get the old ones clean.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    ....agree and the stitching is usually the worst part as it has usually rotted and will keep breaking. Find a good shop - before the boating season gets too busy -  and pay cash!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You never know you might get lucky and they might get clean. With that much mold I think your best bet it to try a bleach solution.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I agree and I'm trying to think of the marine product that came in a small plastic container that was crystals that you mixed with water. It killed the mold but didn't rot the stitches. My only worry with that much mold id that it has also set-up in the foam. It costs little (except time) to try a cleaning, but that IS a lot olf mold/mildew! 
  • Options
    Worth a try, but I'm pretty sure you are going to have to recover. The mold is likely to have worked its way into the vinyl, and not just be sitting on the surface.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Man, that just hurts your feelings! There's a Yamaha jetboat that I pass on the way to the marina that looks the same way.  Been sitting there most of last summer and all winter uncovered and looks about the same.  Honestly, my heart aches seeing what someone has done to that boat.
    My interior gets a few little spots on it, but it cleans up good.  My gelcoat is pretty dull, though.  With you for inspiration, I'll have to put some effort into a little shine this year. 
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    I'm clueless, what would you guys estimate re-upholstery to be for it?

I'm amazed how well the mooring covers have held up given that they've been exposed to the sun for 9 yrs. 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did a boat something like that last year. $2200 is what they charged me to recover.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    I'm retired with nothing better to do so I hit up the vinyl today

Even the motor was covered in black mold so it also got a cleaning.
    Before

After

• Options
    GreggGregg Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Wow looks like new,great job

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW! They came out GREAT!!!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Those seats look new again awesome job!
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    I may go round two on the sun pad. The vinyl is lightly spotted but I doubt it will clean up any more. The cover sat on the rear sun pad area and the mold has stained the pad. The bucket seats came out virtually spotless, must of been a different type of mold growth because it came right off. The front bow section cushions have some staining on the back rest upper half. As the direct sun hit them through the afternoon they faded quite a bit. The camera just won't pick up the stains in all the sunlight but they are there. As long as the threads don't start popping I am calling the seats done.  Good enough for a ten year old boat anyway.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, you saved it, Nice!
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Best before and after pictures of a boat clean I have ever seen. Send the cleaner manufacture the pics and ask for a case of their product - or would that be a case of your effort?!
  • Options
    That's really good. I'm glad it came out. They must have protected those seats before they stored. That mold obviously didn't penetrate.

Looks great!

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    BTW I have a spray bottle of that cleaner in the storage, works great around the house too!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Great job looks awesome.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Bravo Sir! It is truly amazing what you have done to rejuvenate that poor vessel. I just don't understand neglect.
  • Options
    dropoutdropout Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    Great job! Also direct sun light will help with getting rid of some of the staining.