Options

Rinker 192 restoration

Comments

• Options
    blackcreekblackcreek Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2016
    Finished up the port side polish today.
    First pic is after wet sanding and before buffing.

After buff and wax

Started on the fueling system by pulling the carb. Here is what happens when gas sits in a carb for four years.

Main jets were clogged with varnish and the power valve was glued shut.

The accelerator pump linkage was not working due to way to much paint applied at the factory. The pump arm is pushed by a spring linkage and the spring was compressing but not moving the pump arm. I had to crack the paint by pushing rather **** the arm. You can see where the paint finally let go and allowed the arm to actually pump gas.

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blackcreek, IMO you are doing one h*ll of a job. This is the best all-round resto of a Rinker I have ever seen....and that's a loooong time! Congratulations on an A-1 job!

• Options
    gtyeegtyee Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful job! Boat looks new.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You want to do my boat when you're done here??

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure you are not a boat flipper?
  • Options
    MarkB said:
    You want to do my boat when you're done here??
    No if that is your boat in the picture! My arms are falling off.

• Options
    Are you sure you are not a boat flipper?
    My wife thinks I am. This will be boat number 12 for me since 1980 or so. It's been ten years since I bought my last boat which was an abused mastercraft prostar 205. The mastercraft was actually in worse condition than the rinker. It was sitting on blocks in a farmers field with no cover on it so it needed everything redone inside and out. After wet sand buff and wax.

Interior completely rotten before.

After new interior and carpet. Vinyl done by larrys trim shop while I cut in all new carpet and fixed the motor etc.

I still own this boat as it was a special edition LT-1 equipped motor which will rip your arms out.

• Options
    Nice! I bet Rowboat would want that motor!
  • Options
    @blackcreek.....beautiful work! You are definitely THE BOAT WISPERER!!!
  • Options
    Finished the carb work today. New power valve,accelerator pump,inlet needle valve and seat,and accelerator pump check valve.
    Here is the crap that came out of the accelerator pump.

Metering block before and after.

The holley kit comes with two power valves the 2.5 size goes on the 4.3 motor and the 4.5 size goes on the 5.0 motor.

While I was at it I flushed the fuel tank with 5 gallons of gas and a can of seafoam then jumped the fuel pump relay and pumped it all out and replaced with 10 gallons of non ethanol gas.

I am waiting on water pump bearing and seal shipment so it might be a few days until I try to start the motor.

• Options
    @blackcreek.....great job and glad to see you're wearing gloves - keeps the parts clean and more important solvents/fuel off your hands.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Well crap. Death in the family has kept me out of state a lot in the past few months with no chance of working on the boat. Finally got back at it and the news is not good. Water in the oil is not a sign of good things to come. I got her running but boat idled rough and just did not sound right. After a compression check I had bad numbers on one side of the motor and water in the cylinders. 

I started with pressure checking the block for cracks or blown head gasket and the motor held 40 psi for hours with no leak down. I then pulled the manifolds and was met with rust trails on one side. It turns out the riser on that side had gone bad by either freezing or just rusting through and was letting water leak into the cylinders. The motor actually hydro locked and stripped the starter gear after one of the shutdowns. I pulled the manifolds and saw rusty valves so I ended up pulling the motor for tear down. All three cylinders on the bad side were pitted badly from water in the cylinders. The head and bores on the other side looked like brand new. Block is at the machine shop for a bore inspection to see if a .030 over will work.

• Options
    Block and heads back from machine shop. Had to go .030 on the bores to hit clean metal. Crankshaft measured as new and head on bad side got three new valve seats.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Besides brass freeze plugs everything on the Volvo block seems to be bone stock Chevy s10 4.3 vortec motor. Even the head gaskets were stock gm. 19 dollars for each head gasket from rock auto. That is the stock parts number. Even stamped for marine use.

Post edited by blackcreek on
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent pictures.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    NRathNRath Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    Nothing better than a pile of clean parts ready to go together!  Very nice.

Funny, so the ground-pounder rebuilding his S-10 would get head gaskets with "Marine" marked on them?!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Impressive. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    NRath said:
    Nothing better than a pile of clean parts ready to go together!  Very nice.

Funny, so the ground-pounder rebuilding his S-10 would get head gaskets with "Marine" marked on them?!
    I could still read the gm part number on the original gasket. It comes back to a 2000-2004 Chevy s10. All the other gaskets and block parts were just standard gm nothing marine about them. My guess is the cam is probably the standard truck cam also but I did not look for a part number on it. If you order a 2004 s10 oem head gasket from rock auto what you see is what you get.
  • Options

This is the weak point of the Chevy high torque starter. The motor spins fast and is geared down through a set of planetary gears. The nylon gear strips pretty easily and in my case water in the cylinders hydro locked the motor after shutdown. New set of starter gears was only 15 bucks delivered which is way cheaper than a new starter from Volvo.

• Options
    So they have not upgraded those gears?
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    Wow, that is sure a great way to save from throwing away a starter.  Handy is right, those gears don't look like they'd withstand much.  Maybe there is a reason for it (although, most people wouldn't know to just replace the small plastic gear inside - ha, maybe that is the reason)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Same plastic parts were used in the chevy tranny
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    So they have not upgraded those gears?
    http://www.aspwholesale.com/stationary-gear-dr-p7659.html

go to my link and click on the application tab for the part. In my case it fits all Volvo penta 1996 to 2007. I assume that is all Volvo penta with a Chevy v6 or v8 with that type starter.

For anyone who wants to tackle a rebuild or fix of a starter or alternator......

You can get any starter or alternator part for a rebuild/fix from asp wholesale but it takes a little digging. You need to know the part number or make and type of starter/alternator then when you narrow down to what you need you can click on the application tab for the part and see if it fits. Or you could just call and they might help you out.
  • Options
    NRath said:
    Nothing better than a pile of clean parts ready to go together!  

A clean pile of parts all put together?

• Options
    NRathNRath Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    A clean pile of parts all put together?

Ding- maybe so!  Hearing the clean pile purr is definitely better!  I do get a kick out of the build, though.

• Options

Finished up the motor and ran compression check before putting it back in the boat this morning. Had to quit by noon time due to the heat wave.
  • Options
    chamberbchamberb Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    Black Creek, not sure what you retired from but that is some amazing and thorough work. No shortcuts and it looks great!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I am a retired pilot, cars,boats,motorcycles are just a hobby. I enjoy doing this sort of thing. My dad gave me the keys to the family station wagon with a blown motor when I was 15. It took me six months but I managed to get it running again and drove the car all through high school. Been working on cars ever since. Besides electronic ignition and an electric fuel pump not a whole lot has changed on the basic Volvo carb motor from a 66 Pontiac. If you unbolted the fuel canister and crank mounted water pump it would look exactly like any 60's era GM grocery getter under the hood.
    Post edited by blackcreek on
  • Options
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,464 admin
    Looks sweet......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com