Options

2012 260 EC or 2009 280 EC

Hello to all...I am new to the forum and would love some advice. I am in the market for a cabin cruiser, and based on my research of many brands (Rinker, Sea Ray, Crownline , Chaparral, etc..), I have decided on either a 2012 260 EC or a 2009 280 EC. Cost is similar, the 2012  has Mercruiser Gold warranty till 6/17 and the 2009 no warranty. Both have been maintained well. The 2012 has Merc 350 Mag MPI Bravo 3, the 2009 has 6.2L 377 Mag "Sea Core" "Closed cooled" Bravo 3.

Similar options except for:

2009 has....Radar arch (very aesthetically pleasing for me), Kohler 5kw gen, it is bigger.

2012 has...warranty (not Merc Platinum rather Gold..like a powertrain, major components only), Bow sun pad cushions, it is newer and cleaner for obvious reasons.

Both are very nice!

Please help me choose.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Answers

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,566 mod
    Welcome!

Two great boats ... how do you anticipate using the boat?  Any overnight or multi-day stays?  Where -- lake, river, hot climate?  Will you ever run at night?  
  • Options
    Also, how will you store the boat?  In the water, on a lift, on a trailer?  In a marina, or at a residence?  
  • Options
    EdbetaEdbeta Member Posts: 4

Great questions...use is primarily to cross from Miami, Fl to Bimini Bahamas (50 plus NM) only on calm days. No overnight (have a condo in Bimini). No night runs.

Storage will be marina dry dock.

Thanks!

Ed

• Options
    Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    Well.. if it matters, I love my 260!  I looked at a used 280 when I bought my 260 brand new.  I know fully loaded 260s (genset, AC, radar arch, etc) full of people don't plane quite as quickly as a 280 (350MAG vs 377 of course).  Mine is great!  Planes easily with trim tabs half way down with 6 people and full fuel/water.  I cruise at ~28mph with that full load, and top out at ~41mph.  With 3 people and say half a tank, I cruise at 30mph and top out at almost 45 (43.5mph GPS).

I use mine as a "day boat" with an occasional overnight if I have too many "pops" and don't want to drive home.  Easy for me to handle by myself, I can tow it if I want, and my marina will rack store it.  The 280/290 I couldn't rack store or tow without a permit.  The 260 is actually over 28' long, so it feels bigger than some other 26' boats I've been on.

Does the 260 have SeaCore?  Something to consider for salt water.  You would need to flush after every use if not (or at least I would).  How many hours on the boats? Also, if you have "big" people on the boat, the 280 might have a slightly larger head.  I'm 6'2" 300lbs and the head on my boat is "adequate", but it would be nice if it were larger.  That being said.. I have never used it and don't intend to, so "meh".

Have you been on both boats?  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    Thanks Mike...the 260 doesn't have Seacore (I am ok with daily flush) each boat has about 300 hours (bit high I thought for the 2012 but excellent maintenance on both).Like you, don't intend to use the head (meh). Me Likey pipi in the ocean! Truth be told, I am leaning towards the 260....newer, mediocre warranty, trailerable, more manageable by myself, etc.. Thanks again for your input, truly appreciated. BTW, nice pics!  I have been on both.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the beam on the 290 is still 8.5 ft. 

I have the 260EC and the next step up for me that's worthwhile is the 310 to get the extra beam.

However, if price is the same then perhaps it's a different decision. 

If you knew the 2009 power plant was in great shape then I wouldn't care too much about the 1 year of warranty on the 260 power train. Think of it this way, by June next year both boats are basicallu out of warranty. 

Having a radar arch and a generator might well be worth it. With the radar arch you can have an enclosed cockpit assuming you get a canvas. That might come in handy if the weather picks up a little on your cruise to the Bahamas or back.

I would get the 290 surveyed thoroughly with specific focus on the engine and drive and then make my decision based on that.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Thanks Mark....great point about the beam difference...you are right, the difference in beam between the 260 and 280 is nearly negligible, but no so in the 310. Really helped.
  • Options
    But take into consideration my comment is made based on buying both new. I would rather step up from a 260 to a 310 to get the extra beam which makes a huge difference. But in your case with the price being the same, we'll the 290 might be worth it.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    If I was regularly going that far offshore, I'd prefer the safety of a twin-engine platform.  Since you don't really need the cabin, have you looked at center consoles with twin outboards?  Or maybe step up to a twin-engine Rinker?
  • Options
    I'd also want high-quality nav and comms gear, including a radar, which means a radar arch.  
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with LaRea on both comments, twins for sure!
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Beam on the 280/290 is 9'1''. Huge difference from the 8'6'' beam on my old Four Winns 258 Vista. I love my 280. I think its the right size boat. Big enough where you can sleep 4 people over night but can also trailer the boat as well. If you're going to be crossing that water the bigger boat would definitely ease my nerves. 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    agree, crossing to bimini,. I would go bigger, and preferably one with twins for safety purposes.  conditions can change quickly, and having extra size and rough water capability would be my first consideration.  good luck.
  • Options
    The 280 wasn't made with twins. I have the 6.2L. You can also get (if you look long enough) one with a 496. The 6.2L is more common though. No complaints about on my end tho. During the sea trial with my 280, I could tell a signficant difference between the 8'6'' beam to the 9'1'' beam. Took larger wakes and rollers way significantly better than my 258 Vista. If you're planning on being on open water like that, I would go 280 hands down. I understand your stance on warranty but if the 28 is taken care of like you said, I wouldn't worry about it. 
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    My 280 had twins but it was oledr (97). 

I'd go with the 280 because you will want to go bigger in a couple years anyway.  :)

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Haha, good point @Stodge :)
  • Options
    Nothing against the 260, which I am sure is a great boat. I just wouldn't want to cross in it. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I was making that run, I would want 280. I have a 280EC so I might be a little jaded. There is a 260EC that is for sale where I dock at and the 7 inches of beam seems like a lot to me. The 280EC seems roomier to me. There is more room down below and in the cockpit area. I have the 377Mag/B3 combo and it will get up and go. Granted it isn't a big block, but the extra 20 horses add up.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Three years ago i was in a 24ft center console, fishing about 12 miles out from west Palm beach, there were 4 of us in the boat, it was Feburary, the sea got rough, 8 to 10 ft swales, that boat was not big enough, it was a bad day. both 260/280 Rinker boats are very sea worthy, 280 gets my vote. Arch/Gen, 6.2, 9.1 ft beam. do you home work before you buy.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    I have the 280 with the arch but no gen. Not worth the extra weight
  • Options

Well, if it does have an extra 7" in beam - that is a big difference. I have the 260EC and the beam is my major gripe! Even 6" would make a big difference in some areas. A 280EC with a radar arch (for cockpit encloser) would get my vote - provided it passed a rigorous survey.

And I do agree, if you are going across 50 Nm of seas, I'd rather have twins.

Which brings me back to my first recommendation - the 310!

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MarkB, the beam on the 280 is 9'1". The extra 7 inches kept me from trailering my 280EC from Baltimore to Pittsburgh via the PA Turnpike. The max on the turnpike is 8'6". I had to get permits, which I probably didn't really need, for the route I-70 to I-68 then to I-79. It was an interesting trip. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Interesting how opinions differ.  I don't have the radar arch, yet I still have a full enclosure.  Eisenglass all around with a giant screened in zippered opening on the back (zippered eisenglass over the screen) and a zippered opening in the front to get on the bow.  I have drivin in the rain with it and the cockpit stays completely dry.

I also enjoy being able to completely fold the bimini up and have "open sky".  In fact, I rarely use the bimini unless the girls want it open.  The arch is quit heavy, and i've been on other boats with the arch where water leaks through the zippers where the front and rear bimini tops attach to the arch.

The only thing I miss is not having speakers in the arch, and if I wanted radar it would be nice (a necessity maybe... not sure).

Pictures aren't my boat (this one is around 2009 I think), but this is the same "enclosure" I have.  Everything zips to the bimini top.

-=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    Mike did your boat come with the Bimini or did you add that after market?

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    edited March 2016
    My boat came with it.  I got the bimini, all the sides for the enclosure and a cockpit cover included.  All factory Rinker.

You can buy all of the parts here:  http://rnr-marine.com/auto/Rinker_260-Express-Cruiser-NO-Arch_(2008-2016).shtml 

-=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Mike_G said:
    My boat came with it.  I got the bimini, all the sides for the enclosure and a cockpit cover included.  All factory Rinker.

You can buy all of the parts here:  http://rnr-marine.com/auto/Rinker_260-Express-Cruiser-NO-Arch_(2008-2016).shtml 

-=Mike G.
    Way cheaper if you see TJ for a price
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options

Oh yeah.. forgot about him (Sorry TJ): http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1105/rinker-canvas/p1

-=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options

Mike, do you have a TV dish somewhere? Wondering where they put all the stuff that's currently on my arch (I have a gps antenna, serius X antenna, VHF radio antenna, and my pizza dish for digital TV.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options

No TV dish.  My HDTV antenna is a collapsible type (like an old radio) inside the TV cabinet.  I have a USB HDTV tuner that connects to my tablet or laptop.  My VHF antenna is on the side (see pic).  My XM and GPS antennas are the small things like on top of a car (a "puck" I guess you could say).

-=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking ride!