Options

TV

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
OK, I'm sure everyone is bored with my TV issue and the problem seems simple enough to resolve. I hate the thought of buying a tv and then plugging it in to a cigarette receptor to make it work. My boat is an 05- it came with a tv that I suppose has an internal converter and it works well- just not the right signal. You can find them all over the place with what they call "auto cord technology" which I guess is a fancy word for a plug? Just seems like a cheesy way to fix the problem....they had tv's in o5 that plug in to an outlet and work on both, why is it so hard to find today? I see some "marine" grade that apparently are this way but they're 400 bucks plus, anyone have a better solution?

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't read the previous thread, what is the problem?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Axcess is the brand of TV that I got. It plugged into the existing 12V plug from the old TV that was on my boat. Anything made AFTER 2008 is supposed to be a digital reception ready TV. Google is your friend...

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=12vdc+tv+dvd+combo

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    @Handymans342
    @Cableguy Greg 
    @MarkB Here are my issues and I'm sure part of it is not understanding how a lot of electrical stuff works. For example, there is only one plug for power on my tv. It is just like a household type receptor.  So, is it  12v or 120v is running through that plug or is the tv totally a 12V tv and it has a built in converter that takes the 120 to 12V? Is that not also the way the fridge is supposed to work? I think my fridge runs only on 12V but that is another story. So, when I look at the thousands of tv that pop up, the 12 V ones I see run the 12V through a cord to what would be a acc. plug in and not the regular plug in receptor on the boat. Then it looks like if you have 129 available, there is a regular plug for that. I don't want wires traveling everywhere and I don't have the electrical ability to "wire that cord" into the 12V system like I have read others have done. Maybe I'm confused as to what I'm trying to find- am I looking for a 12V tv with a converter or a tv that runs on both? I looked at Best buy and I don't see anything without a round type plug. I would like to keep the same set up, and if not boating applications, I would think the same thing for RV would apply and they would be all over the place~! I'm so confused!
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Ras,
    just get a tv that run on 12 volts and some can run on AC and DC. You can buy them for around 200$ U.S. and more.
    http://www.my12voltstore.com/ or

• Options
    I want what I have now, just don't understand why its this hard to find!
  • Options
    Get me a picture and a model number of what you currently have.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ras your TV is likely a 12 volt. It can run straight from a cigarette plug to a standard OEM 12v marine receptacle or from a 110v outlet in the boat that you plug a transformer into that reduces the power to 12v for the TV. This is very common. It's called a 12v 110v DVD/TV

I have one for the cockpit. It is OEM for many Rinkers because it is a special built TV. The brand name is Majestic. They used to be made in Australia. they are SUPER rugged.They are very expensive at about $700. You can buy much less expensive 12v 110 v TVs.

Why have the 110V option you ask? - because you can run it on 110v at the dock or on the generator and save your batteries. The TV doesn't take all that much power but the DVD sure does.

I'll try to find a picture of my cables to post. Good luck MT.

• Options

So, the TV/DVD I have is a 12v TV/DVD player that will run on 12v or 110v

At right is the 12v cigarette cable for the TV/DVD at left is the 110v transformer with 12v cable attachment for the TV/DVD.

BTW, there are a number of sites that have 12v/110v sets. I think Road Trucker used to sell them. You used to be able to google 12v/110v TV/DVD and get a bunch of sites with lots of models.

• Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    This is the TV I put in my FV270: http://www.insigniaproducts.com/products/televisions/NS-24ED310NA15.html . It has a standard plug to run off 110vac OR you can power it via 12vdc using this adapter: http://www.amazon.com/NS-24ED310NA15-NS-24D510NA15-NS24ED310NA15-NS24D510NA15-Television/dp/B00S4HUW9K . I hard wired mine to run off 12vcd all the time. I figured that if my boat was plugged into shore power, the batteries would stay charged via the onboard charger... And if I was out on the hook, I could run it straight off battery. 

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Sorry don't mean to hijack but doing same thing that Ras is and maybe my questions can help him also.  So the 110v can only come from shore power or generator as there is no transformer.  12v/cig lighter is strictly from battery.  Is this correct?

My outlets are currently not working so I am using power inverter from my 12v to my TVs 110v plug.  So am I pulling from the batteries then even connected to shore power?

If I am getting a new tv it must be 12v compatible or I can't use on the hook without a generator.  Therefore tv must have a transformer in the power plug to convert to 12v.  But it should also be 110v for use at the dock. This correct?  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    The tv would be 12v the box converter takes your 110v household current and turns it to 12v you will not need the box just use the 12v.you would have to hardware to 12v 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    I just fixed the links on my previous post....
    06Rinker270- think about it... If you are plugged into shore power or the genny is running, you're charging your batteries. So therefore wiring a tv directly to the batteries (12vdc) won't hurt anything... 

• Options
    I just fixed the links on my previous post....
    06Rinker270- think about it... If you are plugged into shore power or the genny is running, you're charging your batteries. So therefore wiring a tv directly to the batteries (12vdc) won't hurt anything... 

My TV runs the same way. It is only plugged into the 12V system.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    On your first question this correct. Second this correct.Third is also correct but it also could be only 12volts most new tv don't draw much current but combo with DVD  draw more. So if you have a good house batteries system running your tv only on 12 volts would not be a problem.
  • Options

The reason I prefer to run the TV/DVD from 110v at the dock is that if using the DVD there IS a substantial increase in amperage load - so why run it on the batteries and have to charge them unnecessarily?

If you only have a 12v lighter adapter fro your TV/DVD, fine run it off the batteries but if you can use a 12v adapter into a 110v plug, that's better IMO

I do know some guys who purchased  very inexpensive 110v ONLY TV?DVDs for their cockpit while for only at the dock - but that is a completely different discussion.

• Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Some of you that talk of high current draw, why not just load movies on a thumb drive?
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    @BMXZ, great idea. Some guys just disconnect their pvr with 200+ movies on it, yes it's 110v but real low amp draw!
  • Options
    So my TV which is OEM Rinker is 12V. It is directly powered via the batteries.  If I'm on shore power the batteries simply get recharged while I am running the TV via the batteries. This means no matter what the batteries are running the TV and I can use it whether I'm on shore power or not. I have a DVD combo TV and it runs fine without shore power although we don't watch DVDs that often while underway.

As for watching movies from a stick we have a media player on board. It stores digital copies of movies. That's why we like buying DVDs that come with the digital copy as well. The media player is tiny about 4" x 4" x 1" and runs off a USB jack so can operate off 12V with USB receptacle. It comes with its own remote so we can navigate through our movies. It stores inside the cabinet so all cables are hidden away. Connects to the TV via an HDMI cable.

Other thing we do is rent movies on iTunes and download to the phone. I have a apple cable to HDMI so we can watch movies on the TV. That is the simplest as you only need to buy a $40 cable. 

Many options available.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016

The 110v receptacles, do they work on the hook without generator?  Or is that when the 12vdc comes into play.  My 110v needs a new GFI so not sure yet.

Thanks for for the links diggin, very helpful. 

Again, Ras hope Im helping us both understand.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    110V receptacles work when on shore power as long as you turn on the breakers to energize them.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options

110v good on shore power and generator. Will also work on an inverter but if TV a quality LED might consider a pure sine wave inverter.

Remember there are two types of TVs that will run on 110v power a "normal" house type that runs ONLY on 110v power and 12v TVs that will run on 110v power with a step-down transformer.

My cockpit TV is the 12v type that has a transformer to utilize 110v standard receptacle power. I would use this dockside to give my batteries a rest or when at anchor and running the gen for something else.

• Options
    MarkB- What brand/model media player are you using?
  • Options
    OEM Rinker 12v TVs on newer units are Majestic TVs. Very expensive for us to purchase, cost me almost $700 - Rinker probably gets a much better deal. We have used data sticks (great idea mentioned by @BMXZ) and pvrs mentioned by me and others, Sling boxes and phone downloads via HDMI and usb cables are also excellent. You can also Bluetooth and WiFi it at many marinas AND I am seeing WiFi repeaters popping up on some of the newer boats. But we sure love our satellite TV. KVH is great as is Intellian - both will get Bell, Dish and Direct channels.....although some extra modules mat be needed like mims.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do the TV DVD combos accept a Blue Ray disc???
  • Options
    Handy- My Insignia does not. 
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Handy, I got a 12V TV without a player and a separate 12v BluRay player which also plays DVD and has an SD card slot.  I haven't seen any TVs with built in BluRay, just DVD.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    My Axcess combo unit does not accept Blu-Ray.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Ok- getting back to confusing me again. So, if I understand what I have read, from rinker, more than likely, I have a 12 volt tv that has a built in convert. It plugs into a normal wall type socket. So either it is getting 12 volts or 120 and converting down to 12 volts by the built in converter. This is the same set up I want to find but all I see are round plugs for a car. How come? Would not what I'm looking for also be used in rv's? I don't want to run a cord across the walkway or install another plug when the electrical set up I have is perfect, why can't i find the tv that works the same way?
  • Options
    diggin - I have to check. A friend bought it for me. Will dig it out of storage tonight. Everthing will be unpacked and on the water in 4 weeks hopefully - provided there's no more friggin polar vortex's in the forecast!

"Boat + Water = Fun"