Options

TV

2»

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Handy, my TV/DVD combo only plays DVDs. That's why we often purchase Blue rays with the DVD and the Digital Download as well. It costs like $5 more, and we get every format we need between home, cars and boat.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    edited March 2016
    rasbury said:
    Ok- getting back to confusing me again. So, if I understand what I have read, from rinker, more than likely, I have a 12 volt tv that has a built in convert. It plugs into a normal wall type socket. So either it is getting 12 volts or 120 and converting down to 12 volts by the built in converter. This is the same set up I want to find but all I see are round plugs for a car. How come? Would not what I'm looking for also be used in rv's? I don't want to run a cord across the walkway or install another plug when the electrical set up I have is perfect, why can't i find the tv that works the same way?

Ras - what is the make and model of your TV???? Look at the back and tell us. We will be able to figure this all out in 30 seconds if you do this.  It's hard to understand what you have by verbal descriptions only.  What currently powers your TV, is it in a 110v receptacle or wire to 12V???
    Post edited by MarkB on

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Ras look at MTs post with the pictures.  The plug on the right, is that what you are referring to @round plug"?  If so, and I hope I'm understanding you correctly, then you buy a tv that can use the round plug and use the normal type wall socket.  I believe most AC/DC compatible TVs will come with either or and you just buy the other adapter.  Which is exactly what your tv does now.  My TV, which I'm sure is very similar or the same as yours, it has a normal wall socket plug/110v and I just use a 12v to 110v inverter.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Here is the one I might get.

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rasbury, please, please, please take a picture of what you currently have. IT WILL HELP!!!!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Rasbury- If your current tv has a 110v (regular house plug), then your tv is operating off of AC power(shore power or generator only) and not battery power. UNLESS you have an inverter on the boat that is powering that outlet off of your batteries.... If you do have a inverter then all you need is Regular 110v television. PLEASE SOMEBODY CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG(don't want to give out bad info!!)
       A few questions to narrow this down: 
    1.) Does your tv work when your not plugged into shore power and the generator is off?
    2.) Does your tv have ONLY a regular 110v plug for power?
    3.) Look at the outlet closely... Does it say the voltages on it?

Post edited by diggin2day1 on
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, solved a lot if questions, but, they did not put that tv in there the way I'm trying to take it out. There is one screw there is no way to get at. Must say, rinker did use good hardware. The screw I am trying to chisel off is stainless as well as the bracket that holds the tv down. So, unless I am going to do some major trading apart of the cabinet, I will have to bust the tv out of there. Pretty crazy. But, being able to swing the tv a bit, I was able to see or even feel something I could not before...right beside the 110 regular looking outlet is a 12v round plug. They are both plugged in. So, guess it runs on whatever is available and most of the tv's I have looked at or suggested by you all will work fine. Sure seems like a cheesy way to hook something up but I guess that's how its done. Thanks to all, will post a pick of the final install, assume all the tv's work with the Shakespeare antenna...what a mess I will have getting this tv out.
  • Options
  • Options
    This is the unit i have..the couple of screws on the right side i was able to get to, the one screw on the left side you can barely see much less get at. I will get a replacement tv and antena ordered!
  • Options
    Let us know what you end up getting.  Good luck!
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    I just took mine out,,,,,same one.......get a 1/4 ratchet and extensions, and a Philips bit.......use enough extensions that the ratchet ends up by the top of the tv so you can swing it.
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    I just took mine out,,,,,same one.......get a 1/4 ratchet and extensions, and a Philips bit.......use enough extensions that the ratchet ends up by the top of the tv so you can swing it.
    @BellevilleMXZ, was the TV you just took out a 110VAC or 12VDC TV?
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I would say this is a 12V tv that has a converter built in to step it down just like the fridge, I believe....
  • Options
    it's not a bad little tv I have, if I could find a 12V converter box that would work with it I'd be fine...the new led's/flat screens I'm sure use less power so I don't mind the upgrade.
  • Options
    @BellevilleMXZ, was the TV you just took out a 110VAC or 12VDC TV?
    Exact same tv.....has 2 wires coming out of it  120 and 12v cig. plug
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    it's not a bad little tv I have, if I could find a 12V converter box that would work with it I'd be fine...the new led's/flat screens I'm sure use less power so I don't mind the upgrade.
    Did u see where I mounted mine? frees up whole cupboard.....but its only 120v......could always run on small inverter if wanted to run on 12v.....hide inverter up on top of cupboard. 
  • Options
    When I do get mine out ( will try the extensions, screws are to tight I did not think I could get a bite that way), I'm sure it will say on the back.
  • Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    If you unscrew the brass handle you can slide the small stud under the trim and get the door to open an extra two inches. This gives you a little more clearence on the left hand side.
  • Options
    So we have determined that it is a dual voltage TV. The conversion happens inside the TV. If it was me, I would purchase a TV that is 12VDC only. That way it can be viewed while underway and while at the dock. Ras, since you don't slip your boat at a dock, I would get a 12VDC TV so you can use it while out and about.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    @Cableguy Greg 
    It looks like all the TV's I've been looking at, and I need to get back to looking to confirm, are set up just like what I have, a 110V cord and a 12V cord so it runs on what ever power supply is going to it so you can run off battery while underway and run directly to shore power if connected at the dock. I just did not realize until I started taking it out it had the dual cords and outlets which really shocked me! I will update when I put it all back together with a new TV.
  • Options
    If you get a 12VDC only TV, it will work while underway and while on shore power. The battery charger will charge the batteries which power the TV. If you try and purchase a dual power TV, it will be REALLY expensive. Just some food for thought...
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I think the TV in the screen grab I have above is a dual power TV for $153.  Correct?

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    So we have determined that it is a dual voltage TV. The conversion happens inside the TV. If it was me, I would purchase a TV that is 12VDC only. That way it can be viewed while underway and while at the dock. Ras, since you don't slip your boat at a dock, I would get a 12VDC TV so you can use it while out and about.
    Good point......forgot he trailers it
  • Options
    @06Rinker270 that is what I'm seeing, dual voltage is not expensive like perhaps they were in the past. It is set up to handle both so might as well put it back together the way Rinker supplied it. Will update!
  • Options
    Cool Ras glad its all working out for you!  Cant wait to see some pics!

Next...cockpit TV?  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    I went to Best Buy and purchased their house brand 24" LCD TV with a built in DVD player to replace the factory TV on my 320. The new unit is designed to be powered by a 110 volt outlet but the power cord has a transformer in it that converts 110 volts AC to 12.3 volts DC. The actual operating voltage to the TV is between 12.3 and 13.5 volts DC, so, I eliminated the transformer and hard wired the cord to the 12 volt circuit that powered the old TV. It works great...better picture, better reception, and much better sound. The cost was below what RV sites were advertising their 12 volt TVs for.
  • Options
    yep, I think that the way to go. I want to utilize the cabinet the tv is in now, I just want something to watch the news in the morning so don't need much. On top of my cabinet is the sound system/amp and also the A/C control box, I don't want to eliminate the cabinet and do all that work for a little bigger set. Just need something to keep the rug rats busy and watch the news. Would like to have a dvd but I don't think I would have room for the side type access for the dvd but we'll see what I end up with!

Thanks everyone for the input and the help and mostly- patience! 
  • Options

Rasbury - good idea. Get a flat screen, 12V - even if you get a cheap dual voltage, there's no point in hooking up the 110V, just power the 12V direct. 

If you don't find one with a DVD player, just get yourself a portable DVD player, they're like $50 now, and work off 12V as well. Can plug into HDMI or RCA on the TV. If you buid a shelf on the cabinet then you can put the small portable DVD player on that.

Better yet, get a smart TV, with mirror capabilities, then you can mirror what is on your phone. You can download movies onto your phone and watch it on the television without ANY cables. It all works through the bluetooth.

Mark

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMNI-DIRECTIONAL HDTVFM DIGITAL ANTENNA RV PONTOON BOAT CRUISER- 12 VOLTRas, I just ordered this one on e-bay total with tax was$42.75 omni-directional HDTV 12 volt model UFRV-1.  I think it is 6 inches tall. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    @MarkB Yikes ! That is a bit beyond me- I have a windows phone! @randy56 I want to try to find one I can take off to trailer- I have broken my vhf 3x I think.....
  • Options
    You know, I never resolved this, to much other stuff but getting back to it. I have a much better idea of what I want to buy from the discussions above- I also have to replace the antena- broke it off going down the road....so I'm looking at various tv's- so my question is about the combatabilty of the tv and the antenta- does about any tv operate on about any antena or is there a 'match up" of these componets?