Options

2008 260 ec . A good buy???

nerg54nerg54 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
im looking at a 2008 260 ec that for all intensive purposes seems to have been meticulously cared for to date
the asking price was high 40s and owner has come down to mid $40s  
we are a family of 3 who love to entertain, the boat has no trailer and will be put in Lake Michigan for most of the time.
my question is this a boat we will be happy with for many years or will we grow out of it fast ? 
Also is it a good price for the boat 
thisis my first boat so I'm already feeling a little lost 
thank you for all advice and opinions 

Comments

• Options
    350 Mag MPI B3 With 200 hours 

• Options
    chamberbchamberb Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    I just bought one a month ago. I haven't had it in the water yet, I think the size will be okay for some time. I also have the 350 mag/B3 with 240 hours. I paid 37k with a trailer, but most I looked at were in the low to mid 40s. Lake Champlain doesn't have the same waves etc as Lake Michigan so it may not be a good comparison... I'm thinking for a first boat you don't want to start any larger.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    260 is a nice boat, we boat on rivers and smaller lakes, having a 270, cannot tell ya about Michigan, some of the others will respond on that. we have other guys up there with Rnkers on here, and welcome to the forum
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Thank you both 
    chambereb did your boat need much work,cleaning,etc? That sounds like a great price 
    ours didn't have a trailer so we buying a triaxle trailer for it for an extra $5500 so we'll be closer to 50k for boat and trailer I wish we were at 37
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    It all depends on what type of boating you are planning to do. If you want to take trips and spend weekends or a week or 2 on it then it might be too small for 3 people. If you doing day trips and water sports then it should be fine. Best of luck and keep us posted. Welcome to the RBOC forum.......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have that exact boat but 2011. We like it. It's got everything we need and can live on board for short periods.

The only gripe I have is it's beam is only 8 ft 6 inch. Another 6 inches and width would have gone a long way. You need to go to the 280 for the extra width. 

But it's definitely a boat you could stick with for a while.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    The boat was super clean. I got very lucky. Came close to paying 46 for one in Maine but it was really dirty and hard used. 
  • Options
    edited April 2016
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 270 is very doable on Lake Michigan. I have two of them near me. As always, one has to watch the weather/wave forecast. 

Where will you slip/launch at?

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't need a tri axle trailer for a 260. It is a luxury, but not necessary. When I purchased my 280 a few years ago, it didn't come with a trailer. I got a Venture tandem axle trailer with brakes all around, LED lights, mag wheels and matching spare for $4k. You might want to check them out and save a boat buck. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 270 is a very solid boat. There are a couple of them in nearby marinas and I see them out on Lake Ontario smacking down two footers all the time. Anything bigger than that and I'm on the VHF and radar to see what's ahead. At three feet I pay close attention. More than that and I look for a port.
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Lake Michigan can kick up pretty fast just like Erie and Huron. I would say be careful or weather predictions and such. Mid 40's without a trailer seems kind of high
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options

We have a 2007 270 EC, dark blue, for sale right next to me, Marina is selling for $42k with a brand new trailer. Looks clean, but I haven't been on it. Mid 40's is upper end of what 260 should be worth. I agree with Cableguy, I pulled this 260 back from Canada on two axle trailer, you hardly know its back there.

• Options
    What a beauty!
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

I can give you my scenario from 6 years ago or so and perhaps you can draw parallels. 

Family of 3, my son was 1 at the time, and we were looking to get off our 17' river/lake boat and into something that we could cruise with.  We were going to slip it for the season and wanted to be able to do at least 20 mile cruises in open ocean to Block Island, The Vineyard etc.  Our plan was to spend a lot of time on the boat (most weekends at the marina) and be able to spend at least 3-4 nights on it consecutively and be semi-comfortable without one person in the family wanting to swim home.  We also wanted to keep it to a single engine for cost/maintenance/simplicity reasons.  We looked at all kinds of manufacturers and sizes and really liked the Rinker 270 best.  I wasn't trailering so I didn't care about the 8'6" road limitations (any bigger you needed a special permit).  The 2006 270 we got had a 9'1" beam and 30' long.  I wanted the extra beam as it makes the boat feel a lot roomier and provides better stability.  My wife gets a bit sea sick so every bit of additional stability made for a happier ship.  All of the other boats we looked at had in 8'6" beam in that size range.  The boat was awesome and we enjoyed every minute on it.  It ran like a top (the Volvo 320hp engines and DP drives were very reliable); we went out most weekends and had lots of friends and family on the boat who also enjoyed it; it handled the open ocean ok but we rarely went out when it chopped up or waves got past 3 footers; and we could spend 3 nights on it without me being tempted to call the coast guard for immediate rescue.. 

We had the boat for 2 seasons and sold it as our needs had changed a bit.  First my wife was pregnant again, which btw I think the boat helped that situation...  So careful, boats make babies...  We wanted to spend more time on the boat but it lacked some things we needed (wanted), such as:

1.  More space below.  We were stepping on eachother all the time and we are both small people.  We slept comfortably in the aft quarters, while my son slept in the bow, but with two kids we needed more sleeping space.  My wife was breast feeding that first year and she felt like a prisoner down below.  With a second one on the way it was a matter of not going to the boat or fixing that space dilemma.

2.  We wanted to do longer trips.  We would go to Block Island, which was 20 miles away, but the Vineyard, Cuttyhunk, Nantucket, Newport and other places felt too far away.  I was not comfortable with a single engine boat for long journey's with family on board.  The redundancy of a second motor really started to appeal to me.  Plus it would make docking a LOT easier!

3.  We wanted more ship to take the beating of the ocean.  We got caught in a couple scenarios, but our last season on the 270 we got so beat up in a storm where 5-6 footers spaced 2-3 seconds apart were just barreling over my bow, that after we docked my wife **** near demanded we get a new boat.  Granted these types of scenarios can be avoided but I wasn't going to take the blame or create an argument for a new boat.

4.  As we wanted to spend more and more time on the boat we wanted more creature comforts: TV's, bigger kitchen to actually be able to cook in, kitchen table to eat on, air conditioning/heat, generator, bigger shower, a bedroom door, etc.

5.  Our boat became very popular, so a bigger deck up top became a want.

In the end we sold the 270 with 200 hours on it.  I wanted it gone quick so dealt it for 39k, which was a good deal at the time.  We moved into a 2005 Rinker 360 and have not looked back.  Its everything we need (yes we still want other stuff but not enough to compel us to buy bigger anytime soon).

So moral of the story weigh what your families needs might be a couple years from now into your decision criteria, and make the call.  Looking back at my situation I don't regret what I learned on that 270, but it would have saved me a bunch of cash if I just bought the 360 to begin with.  Yeah its a big boat, but its no harder to control and in fact I would argue is an easier boat learn to control.  Twin engines make all the difference...

The 2008 260 is a nice boat.  Keep in mind this has an 8'6" beam and is 29'.  You may want to look into the 280 which will get you that wider beam and an additional 3 feet of length.  Perhaps this does create a trailering issue for you though.

Good luck, its a fun time that you're in.

• Options
    Great input Craig, the jump to a 260 for us was nerve racking, probably be just the admiral and I, kids are grown and don't come out as often anymore... PS "Boats make babies" quote is awesome :)
  • Options
    Same thing happened to me. I started looking at an 2013EC 260. Two of the techs and the head salesman at the marina who I had known for over 20 years said at 6'6" and the Admiral at 5'7" the 260 would be too small and we'd be sorry. So we looked at an EC 290.  It was great. We put an order in on one with a 502 Magnum. The salesman recommended a new option that was called Daimante Frost upholstery. He said it was far superior to the regular OEM upholstery. THAT was an expensive look as it was in an EC 310. (Did the salesman plan this all along? LOL) ...Changed our order to a 2013 EC 310. It was a fantastic boat (you guys know the one). We loved it but it was still too small for me - Geez - it looked HUGE when I first got the throttles. I said to the Admiral 'What the h*ll have I done?" No worries there, it was a breeze to handle, throttles or Axius. That summer I happened to be on an EC 360. Okay, NOW a boat that fits my size.....room to run. LOL. The dealership gave me an awesome trade-in and with the tax saved on the new EC 360 the pain was reduced. So, 100% with @craigswardmtb ...get the boat you will need in a couple of years not the boat you "think" you need right now!!!!! That would have saved me money, time and effort!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Craig, it's funny you mention a boat being a baby maker. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the footprints off the ceiling in the mid cabin. LOL
  • Options
    TMI, Steve!!!!!
  • Options
    I was going to name my boat the "Stabbin Cabin"....... But decided to name it after me instead......LOL
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where does bo3 come from?
  • Options
    A couple of guys at my club started calling me Raybo and I have 3 kids. It was actually it was supposed to be Raybo's 3 
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Craig, it's funny you mention a boat being a baby maker. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the footprints off the ceiling in the mid cabin. LOL

Just died laughing...
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    I was going to name my boat the "Stabbin Cabin"....... But decided to name it after me instead......LOL

Will "LMAO" get me banned!!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's see... LMAO.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    edited April 2016
    chamberb said:
    raybo3 said:

Will "LMAO" get me banned!!
    Hey chamberb your safe bro...........lol Your safe also MarkB....... You guys are killing me.....lol
  • Options
    Too funny guys!!!
  • Options
    Thanks again everyone
    'yes the boaters make babies was great and I can totally see that in my future
  • Options
    Looks like half of my response disappeared 
    we found a 2009 280 we are getting surveyed if all goes well I think we're leaning towards it
    but the 260 is definitely not out of the running just yet
  • Options

No disrespect to a 260 at all. I have been on a 260 - we almost bought one. Then we went on a used 280 before ordering a 290. the 280 handles more people and luggage BUT where we really noticed a difference was the ride in rougher water. My personal taste is for as much beam and as much weight as possible when punching through swells.