Options

2008 260 ec . A good buy???

2»

Comments

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Lmao @craigswardmtb that was the most epic post ever. I completely agree with everything you said
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Good point on the weight.  That 280 depending on engine options is over 2000lbs heavier than the 260.

• Options
    Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

@Michael T  OH!!  I SEE HOW IT IS!   Pfft... you and your "wide beam".

-=Mike G.  :p

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....finally someone gets it. MY wide beam needs a....wide beam!
  • Options
     HAHAHA!!  The 260 still has the nice wide captain's seat to accommodate my "wide beam".  A little starboard trim tab and I'm good to go! o:)  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    .....you are right Mike but the Admiral also has to have room on the Captain's seat seat to sit beside me to  "tell me where to go....and she does, often!"
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good point on the weight.  That 280 depending on engine options is over 2000lbs heavier than the 260.

In my brochure, the dry weight of the 280 is 7600lbs and the dry weight of the 260 is 7000lbs. That can change with options on each boat.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Apparently I looked at the wrong model. The guide I have puts the 260hp 260 at 6750 and the 300hp 280 at 7640.  I imagine if you get the 300hp in the 260 the difference is much smaller. Both heavy for their respective sizes which is good. 
  • Options
    The beam and length also make a big difference in getting onto plane, staying there and response in heavier seas. I have been on both models a number of times in different conditions.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    @craigswardmtb 5.0 MPI and 350 MAG both have the same weight.  Same block, same electronics, etc.  Over the years they have gone up or down, but stay within 30 pounds or so over those years.  ~860 - 890 pounds depending on year.  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    Gotta say, sure was fun catching up on reading this post! :)  I'd say a 260 is a great start.  I started with a 240, jumped to 310, and now the 400.  Just wait and take big jumps instead of many little ones.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    nerg54nerg54 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    We went with a 2009 280 ec with a 496 mercruiser b3  thanks for all your opinions and comments it helped a lot  we just decided that the bigger beam and lil more length would benefit not to mention it cost us less than the 260 would have
  • Options
    @nerg54... a big like form me. We looked at a 280 a few years back and I was very impressed with the lay out. I am VERY impressed that you got the 496. In my opinion you will always be happy you made that choice. The 280 is a pretty hefty boat and that 496 has the torque to wrestle it onto plane nicely and you will actually save gas money with that big engine cruising easily (loafing along) rather than a smaller engine revving higher,working much harder and drinking more gas! Nicely done! Also, imo, that bigger engine will be in better shape than a smaller engine that worked harder for years! Do you have pictures yet?
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @nerg54, great choice!
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    I had a 2008 model year 280 with the 496/B3. It performed very well. In my opinion, the 280 is just big enough that the 496 is a better choice over the small block, even the 320 HP 6.2 liter. You will be very happy with the 496 in that boat.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    Nice choice!  I've got two of the 496' and they are great engines!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    nerg54 said:
    We went with a 2009 280 ec with a 496 mercruiser b3  thanks for all your opinions and comments it helped a lot  we just decided that the bigger beam and lil more length would benefit not to mention it cost us less than the 260 would have
    Awesome!!! Great to hear that we have another 280EC owner on here! There are a few of us around and are always willing to help.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Love my 280. Like @Cableguy Greg said, we're always here to help! I have learned so much from everyone here!
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks everyone I've already learned quite a lot from this site 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kind of the same story for me and selection of the 270- I wanted the longest, widest boat with decent headroom AND a single motor, and I could trailer and not have to buy a Mac truck to do so. Also, I have a two axle trailer that does just fine, rated for 10,000#. Extra axle = two more tires to replace and two more brakes to worry about. I had no previous knowledge of Rinker or any other brand for that matter. As a matter of fact, the first time I was even on a boat like this was doing the survey! And then it was like, holy crap, what have I gotten myself into! The beam width was one of the things I noticed the most when I really starting going to the shows and seeing some of the other narrower boats. You would not think it makes that much difference but a foot of width is huge! We are lakes and rivers and intracoastal waters...if we are in any ruff conditions it is by accident but I feel the 270 will serve us well- was on our lake which is pretty large, not great lakes size, but it was busting water across the bow and yet the ride was pretty stable. I would for sure, since your looking at a cruiser type boat, go with the largest boat you can handle for $$$, consider where your going to use it and if you need to tow or not and comfort. We are in Fl so pulling the boat was a big deal to me. Anything bigger and we'd be stuck in a marina somewhere and finding the time to travel by boat to any distance is an issue unless your rich and live in Ft. Myers and have your boat on a lift out back.
  • Options
    ...good one Ras!
  • Options
    @nerg54, nice boat!!!
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    awesome! Best wishes to new adventures ahead!