Options

Old Fuel an Issue?

rogrogersrogrogers Member Posts: 2
Due to several circumstances beyond my control I didn't use my 2007 Rinker Captiva 226 the past couple of years. I've got three year old gasoline (about 25-30 gallons in the 42 gallon tank) that is probably E10 ethanol that I'm pretty wary of. I did use StaBil when I stored the boat. Any suggestions, gang?  If I did need to drain the tank what is the best method?

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'm guessing you have an MPI machine w/ remote mounted fuel pump?  

intercept the fuel line to the rails, use either a barb fitting, or, use a hose with an interior diameter the same as the outside diameter of the existing fuel hose and a clamp, and hit your pump with 12vdc charge- pump it into containers that can be properly disposed of... 

stabil is pretty good stuff, but three years on E10 is asking a LOT from it... if it smells like varnish, don't even bother... the ethanol is a solvent to begin with... I'd be concerned about what its done to your tanks soft lines, too, in those last three years. 
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    As discussed in other posts here, the Gen 3 cool fuel module from that year is painted inside, and the E10 may have dissolved the paint which could enter your fuel system fouling your injectors, among other nasty outcomes. Definitely should be checked. That is if you have a Merc. Not sure about Volvo. 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just an opinion, but if at all possible, for the little extra money, stay away from E10. I have never used it in a boat. I won't even use it in my car if I think it is going to sit for 2 weeks and particularly if I go away for longer periods of time. IMO E10 is garbage.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I agree. 3 years E10 probably better to get rid of it.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    to drain the tank, done this before, go to auto parts store, buy a 12v fuel pump, and about 16ft of  fuel line rubber tubing and a couple clamps, cut rubber fuel line in half.  hook-up a couple alagator clips and then to your battrie. you will need extra wire on the fuel pump. tape up all wire conections very good, You really don't need a spark, fish the rubber line deep into tank. other end in 55 gal drum with lid, ,  I put in a 55 gal drum in the truck, before filling and then on to a place that takes waste oil ect.  
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....just be very careful at a 20:1 air fuel ratio you have a highly explosive combination with even a static spark. ventilation, ventilation, ventilation!
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    I've been down this road, you have your hands full.  Just be careful.   I would remove fuel gauge sender and drop a siphon hose and run it through bilge drain to a 5 gallon gas can.   That's a lot of gas to remove at once.  But you DO need to remove it.  Then I'd replace all my fuel lines and filters.  That gas ruins more boats.  I sold my last boat at a loss because of that same situation. The fuel separated at destroyed the aluminum tank.  Good luck an again, be safe. 
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    just a quick pic of what I pumped out of the previous boat I owned. Lol. I'll never forget that smell!!!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like coffee
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    We got into this ethanol mess because we had a bunch of politicians pretending they were engineers.