Options

hinge pin help

2»

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do have a 40# bottle of r22... that'll do it... and it'll make my very own hole in the ozone, too... but seriously, I haven't considered freezing.  

Mt... if I cut it with a recip saw, to remove the embedded threads, I'll certainly do just that.  
  • Options
    Some kind of special rod that binds to stainless puddled in the head, then an easy out lug tapped into it and given a full turn, then the same rod binding the remaining skirt to the easy out lug, allowed to cool... then the use of some sort of special torch head that turned the excess to black flakes and hit with a wire brush before fully cooled, and then turning the entire set up red hot with o2 torch... when I put the breaker bar on it it took zero force to move it, and thirty seconds later the bolt was out... still attached to the breaker bar, and still with a dull glow... I looked like some perverse ET parading that thing around... 

The threads were perfect even after all of this, but with zero sign of red loctite. Instead, there was something of a gray type dressing remaining, but in all honesty after all the cooking that thing endured, it could have been anything.  

I can now easily get to the trim sensor plate thingy, and swap them for new ones.. that'll happen tomorrow.  The boat should be wet by Friday night... what a freakin tale, huh?  All I have to do is bellows, throttle and shifter braces on the engine, exhaust bellows and battery box mounting....  oh.. and power steering juice... that is a peaceful afternoons tasking... I've paid my dues for this season... it's time to enjoy it... dangit... 

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!!!!!!!!!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Congrats. Quite the tale of a bolt for sure!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a story like that when I tried to get one of my brake drums off a 50 Plymouth I used to own. Weeks of trying everything then it finally popped off!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Yeah I may have had a tough time believing that tale if I was a paying customer. I think most mechanics that didn't take it as a personal challenge would have cut it long ago. 
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I've a new respect for you guys, AL, that do this on a regular basis...  again, I've never encountered a more stubborn bolt... I would have drilled it out much sooner, but the angle on that transom is horrible,  and I'm still paying for tearing both rotator cuffs that makes that kind of prolonged pressure at that angle hard-on them... that, and the **** thing insulted my pride..... without help of a fella named mark and his magic skills with metals, it would still be there.   I got the honor or twirling it out, but it's his work that made it possible.  He didn't charge me a penny...  he did say, however, the only other issue he's ever encountered like this one was also a hinge pin on a mercruiser... he didn't say what model... that made me feel better about it all. 
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Oh man!  that is finally great news!  I will have a toast sitting on my boat Friday night just thinking about you finally getting yours wet!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express