Options

Eyelet replacement with 5200 sealant

Hi,

I have a 2013 290ec that the U hooks (eyelets) in the transom have rotted due to being partially submerged and not sealed well. This resulted in rust streaks inside the bilge area.

Rinker sent me the replacement eyelets but I'm to find someone who can replace them. They said all you need is to replace and seal with 5200 sealant.

I'm considering doing it myself but have never worked with 5200 nor replaced these eyelets.

Anyone have any experience and or tips?

Thanks,

Art
2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP

Comments

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Its basically caulk. But once it gets on a surface its almost impossible to get it off again. Make sure you caulk from the inside as well. 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4200 above water and 5200 below water. Should be fairly easy. Clean surfaces well
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simple to do Its just sticky water proof caulking, Put it on inside and outside, You may have to have a beer drinking buddy to hold it on the outside while you attach the inside. It does not want to come off your hands very well. Good stuff. Your boat probly needs to be out of the water. keep some rags handi.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's just like silicon caulking.  Just use ample amounts of it. In fact squish some into the hole before you put your bolt through and then ample amounts around. Wipe off any excess, but leave a good area (like 1/4" around the U bolt bases) to make sure it is well covered.

Also wear gloves and old clothing. That stuff gets onto your hands, good luck. It takes days to get it off.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like Steve's advice or Sikaflex. I have not found that silicones stick as well to fiberglass or gelcoat.

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Mineral spirits for clean up.  Tape off the area around the outside area.  5200 is the best but can be very messy to clean up.  The tape will keep the surrounding area clean and professional clean lines.
  • Options
    MiamiAGMiamiAG Member Posts: 210 ✭✭
    Thanks. Now I just need to work up the guts to do it...
    2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP
  • Options
    summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    my first thought is was there any water entry into the transom from those holes?  I can't imagine that the holes drilled are sealed/fiberglassed prior to putting the  Ubolts in?  make sure the there is no dampness or in my mind, could result in rot over the years.
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Was playing with 4200 last weekend when I was mounting my underwater lights. Got some on my forearm. Needless to say, its still there 9 days later lol
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3