Horrible start to the season!!!

2»

Comments

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rasbury, they are on the exhaust Y pipe, not the fresh water intake.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you had easy fix.
    Boat Name : 

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Glad it was nothing major and your up and running. Hope you brought a box of coffee with those doughnuts........LOL
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I certainly did Ray... Box-o-Joe and a box of donuts, best $21 bucks I've ever spent!!
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Another thing to add.
    water in the engine is bad. You are lucky that nothing got bent when it locked up.
    first thing is first.
    change your oil and little bit of water will evaporate from there. You don't want moisture getting into your block.
    then take pics of your exhaust setup and either way there should be an oem y pipe. Unless it was bypassed for thru hull.
    if thru hull then exhaust tips should have check valves flaps and installed correctly. To low and you can back flow water.
    my 2 cents 
  • chamberbchamberb Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear it diggin!!
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    I've never checked the flappers.  Anyone have pictures of checking theirs?  I know a year ago, last spring, my stbd engine had gotten pretty hot cause I had the dreaded worn out pump (impeller had worn grooves & insertion of new impeller cause it to loose prime).  I may have burnt up the flappers back then, so I wouldn't mind checking just to be sure.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    @diggin2day1 that is great news brother. Got lucky on that one!
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
    To chexk
    pull the rubber elbows off the riser and then of the y pipe. One side at a time. Once you pull the y pipe side of the hose you will see them. They might be gone, burnt or worn out. Remember there is on on each side or two per engine.
    hardest part is getting the flex hoses off the rider and y pipe. This can be done in the water. Water will not back fl
    Flush or flood your boat
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

American guy at Kingston marina last year. Came in at 10 MPH all the way from Alexandria Bay U.S.A. He said he was overheating and just has $$$$ maintenance done to trouble shoot overheating problem, new thermostat, water pump etc. etc.

Guys on the docks had all kind of suggestions.

I asked, ever had your exhaust flappers checked? They can restrict water egress and cause engine overheating.

The Americans (two families on two boats) were just starting a trip.

I said it's about an hour to my buddy's marina at 10 MPH. Your money is worth 35%  more in Canada, its about 6 hours back to your home marina in AB....BTW - how has their trouble shooting of this problem gone so far? 

It was a Saturday night and my buddy was out at dinner with his family. He spent a fair bit of time on the phone with the American guy who was pretty worried. My buddy gave him the code to his marina washrooms, told him he and his buddy could tie up their boats at slips in  his marina and use the water, power and washrooms on Sunday - no charge - and he'd get him lifted out of the water and looked at first thing Monday morning (and he did).

So, I  recommended they go one hour more down the Canadian side of the St. Lawrence River to the marina my buddy manages. My buddy at Blue Woods Marina, Doug Hyde, (is a 5 star certified Mercury Technician), who manages the marina. He looked at it an said he thought - given what had already been done -  an exhaust flapper was blocking the water cooling flow. It was a good call -the friggin thing was caramelized. My buddy replaced the flappers and recommended an engine oil and filter change.

I saw the two American boats two days later at the new Trenton City Marina. They were happy as could be and had the caramelized flappers as souvenirs.

• chrissyscallchrissyscall Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    Another great job by Dave!!!!! Glad to here all is good!!
  • 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Good for you Diggin!! Happy to hear it!
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • andy_fandy_f Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Pulled my BIII this winter to check engine alignment and found my flaps in the exhaust bellows, add that to the to do list. Glad to hear it wasn't anything major.
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good news diggin! I had my flappers depart and restrict my exhaust a couple of seasons ago. I wasn't able to to get full RPM.
    2008 330EC