Options

Locating Special Anchorages- HELP

WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
I really need help on this one, i have searched the web for a map showing where the designated Special Anchorages are located in various cities or even here locally where I live.  I plan to travel around Lake Erie this year with my wife and I am having trouble locating a map that shows these areas as officially defined by the government.   I ask for 2 reasons,  1st we want to ensure we are staying within the proper boundaries as we travel around the lake but also sometimes we may get on the hook and stay for a day or 2.  We enjoy a drink once we are on the hook and it is our understanding that only within a designated anchorage or tied to a dock are you safe from the possibility of getting a BUI.  Can someone please help us understand where these areas are located so we can enjoy our home away from home and not fear getting a random breathalyzer as you are laid back on the bow with a spirit in my hand!!
2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

Comments

• Options
    Does anyone travel on their boat?  Do you know how to locate an anchorage by chance?  I see a few on active captain, however I know there are 2 in Cleveland that are not shown on Active Captain.

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Laws vary but it is my understanding that any time you are moored legally you may drink. To be specific; if you are in a designated mooring spot or are moored in a non marked area - such as leeward of some island - and NOT directly in a shipping channel), and run a black ball marker in day time and a white mooring light at night you are legally moored and may consume alcohol.

BTW I was with a friend once and we had to move his boat due to unforeseen circumstances. We called the local Police and told them we had been drinking but were in danger. They told us to move the boat to safety at as close to dead slow as possible and moor until at a legal blood alcohol level and there would be no flag on the play. Not sure I would try that three days in a row.....

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    I'd love to see a definitive statement on the legality of drinking while anchored.

I did a web search on whether a boater can get a BUI while the boat is not underway.  The search produced a predictable mix of noise but few facts.  Mostly, a boater asks the question, another says "I heard a rumor of a new law" and then it devolves into a shout-fest about government overreach.  
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Wild where are you planning on going as some of us may be able to help with places from where we anchor or dock overnight and weekends
  • Options
    chamberbchamberb Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭

For the purposes of Vermont, a BWI must have an element of "operation": e.g. A person shall not operate, attempt to operate, or be in actual physical control of a vessel on the waters of this State.... while under the influence. The Federal statute enforced by the Coast Guard seems to require "operation" as well.

Ohio seems to be a bit tougher: The BWI law would apply to you if you were the operator of the vessel, that is, the person who is navigating the vessel while it is not secured to the shore or a dock, or at anchor in a designated anchorage area. Merely dropping your anchor outside a navigation channel or offshore on Lake Erie does not place you in a “designated anchorage area.” You must look at the chart and navigation aids to determine the location of a designated anchorage area. Even though you may be anchored for an afternoon of fishing, you still may be considered to be operating the vessel for purposes of the law.

• Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    Speaking as someone who was raised in Ohio, I can tell you without a doubt that Ohio laws are stooooopid.  :s
  • Options
    Chamberb reposted the very rule that stirred my original post.  I thought originally staying overnight at anchor I was safe.  Clearly, this is not the case. 

As for where we travel,  I live in Cleveland but "live" on the boat during the weekends in the summer.  Cleveland,vermillion,Sandusky,kellys island,Fairport harbor, are areas I would like to have these specified anchorages documented.

• Options
    I have checked USCG and CCG rules for The St. Lawrence and Lake Ontario. If you are anchored outside of a defined shipping channel and are NOT in a designated mooring location but fly a black ball (it folds flat and opens up to be displayed during the day time) or a white navigation light at night you can get sh*t faced as long as you do not move the boat.
  • Options
    The black ball is a "day shape".  The size isn't regulated for vessels under 20 meters (65 feet).  West Marine sells one, but it's $135.  Here's one for only $15:

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|135|2290132|2290133&id=33014

• Options
    However, vessels under 7 m (23 feet) are not required to display day shapes.  Here's more info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_shapes
  • Options
    Does Rinker make a cruiser under 23 feet? I say cruiser but mean a boat with a fixed head and stove....as I believe boat are required to be considered "livable" houses to consume alcohol while anchored?
  • Options
    that will give you some areas 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

MT, don't think you need a stove (you could always survive on cookies and chips, LOL). But I beleive the boat has to have sleeping quarters and a head to be considered liveable.

Consuming alcohol on a bow rider for instance is never allowed (in Canada), it is considered drinking in a public place.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ...yeah Steve, my former slip mate was going around the marina in his RIB with a can of Bud he got a $250.00 fine and was told that was a big courtesy gesture as he'd be charged with driving with open alcohol the next time and that would go on his drivers licence along with a 30 day suspension. Fun eh?
  • Options
    That's as bad as being labled a sexual predator for getting caught taking a leak outside. 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YA What? Send some one over there to  that fire out up there.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    MT, it's even worse than that. If they considered it drinking and driving, that's a criminal offense, and you get your driver's license taken away, plus no more travelling to the US as a convicted fellon!

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. I am glad that they only check for locked out macerators and visibly intoxicated boaters around here. PA law states that you can be at the helm with an open container as long as you are under the legal limit of .08 BAL.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    No problem. Who patrols the lake near you? Local PD, Fish and Wildlife, State Police, etc. Around here they are open to talking if you give them a call. It all seems to hinge on what every state defines as "operation". 
  • Options
    Anchored and keys out of ignition seems like a pretty good defense to me. :)
  • Options
    Michigan DNR and local sherrif have both told me in Michigan as long as you are anchored no problem. Pull the anchor and move that's when they have a problem of course don't anchor where you cause a navigation problem for others
  • Options
    As others have stated majority of law enforcement are willing to educate people. I have yet to find one that wouldn't few years ago I had the DNR and the sherrif as slip mates. Was a blast all summer especially when we had people out to party and they seen them pulling in next to us. 
  • Options
    I will find out the laws in FL since we have a marine division
  • Options
    In St. Pete's there always out cruising. When I'm down there, I rarely go a day without seeing the marine police active on the water.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indiana law prohibits anyone from boating while intoxicated—that is, operating a motorboat or a personal watercraft while intoxicated due to alcohol or any combination of alcohol, controlled substance, or drugs. Alcohol and drugs cause impaired balance, blurred vision, poor coordination, impaired judgment, and slow reaction time. Alcohol is a major contributor to boating accidents and fatalities.

Boating under the influence arrest

It is unlawful for owners of motorboats or PWCs to operate or allow anyone else to operate their motorboat or PWC while that person is intoxicated.

• Indiana law defines intoxication as having a blood alcohol level of 0.08% or greater, or being under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs such that a person’s thoughts and actions are impaired and he or she has a loss of normal control of faculties to such an extent as to cause danger to others.
    • You also may be arrested if your blood alcohol level is less than 0.08% but over 0.05%.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Here's the "anchored" day-shape from defender.com.  Not a bad little piece of kit for fifteen bucks.  

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Where do you put that thing?