Comments

• Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Boating has cut into the racing....have only been out once this year lol
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    Michael T said:
    @69fastback......wicked. I read an article a couple of years back about one of the Ford grandsons, who is in the company as an exec in product development or something like that, testing a Mustang with a crazy engine. The car had a solid axle that they kept making bigger but kept twisting. They had multiple pictures of it smoking the tires and said they could easily blow them in one launch. It was something to see.
    I used to have a spool in the car, but the rear tires being locked together really sucks on the street, and it eats tires bad. I'm building a new engine now, and I'm going to have to do some upgrades to the rear end to keep it all alive. 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @69fastback. Any pictures would be really appreciated!
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    This forum doesn't like me. Lol. I've tried and tried to post photobucket links here, and they don't work for some reason. I can post them on any other forum with no issue, but not here. 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't feel bad, they don't like me either
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awe now Handy we Love you and your stinky diesels. One of the main reasons I check the forum everyday to see who's bashin Handy today. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,836 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    It’s been a couple of years without a project for the road. This just arrived for me to play with! 1972 Toyota FJ40. It’s a tease though, I won’t be able to see it till the 11th!

2008 330EC
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Very nice 40 @aero3113

A 72 is perfect for a front disk brake swap using fj60 knuckles and 1994 v6 4 runner 4 piston calipers/rotors

If it hasn't already been converted 
  • Options
    Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 138 ✭✭

Old cars, flying, and scuba. seems about right.
    2002 180      Eastern LI, NY
  • Options
    Very nice 40 @aero3113

A 72 is perfect for a front disk brake swap using fj60 knuckles and 1994 v6 4 runner 4 piston calipers/rotors

Thanks @pickleRick , good to know. I don’t even know if it has a disc brake conversion. It’s hard enough to find one as solid as this one, I didn’t care what it had 😂.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    Very nice 40 @aero3113

Thanks @pickleRick , good to know. I don’t even know if it has a disc brake conversion. It’s hard enough to find one as solid as this one, I didn’t care what it had 😂.
    Its amazing how interchangeable Toyota parts are.  Complete the swap with the same 94 4 runner master cylinder and brake booster (if it fits) and add an adjustable rear brake prop valve to dial it in.  There are also several rear disc brake conversion kits.  

You still likely have a transfer case parking brake drum so that makes rear disk brake conversions so much easier.  I'm pretty sure they kept those on the duration of the fj40 production.  Mine was a 67 so it didn't have a lot of bells and whistles that appeared in the 70s.  Mine was the old ball and claw front axle is until I started the upgrades.

I ended up with gm 1 ton master mated via a Toyota adapter, 94 4 runner v6 booster/front calipers/disks and Cadillac El dorado rear disks/calipers with willwood prop valve on my current Toyota (rear parking brakes) 

She brakes like a brand new truck.   

If you're in the market for a top there was a boat upholstery shop in Easley SC (15 min from me) that made soft tops that were once distributed by THC or troll hole (Marshall) .  

Not sure if they still make them or not but I loved my safari style soft top that was near identical to their design.  

If I could build another I'd have an om602 Mercedes swap/h55f with vintage air installed under the dash.    

The fj40 is pure awesomeness.  Be prepared to be bombarded with people wanting to buy it everywhere you stop.

• Options
    Thanks @PickleRick I’ll keep you updated. I do have a soft top for it 👍🏻.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Awesome. Post up some pics!
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    There, their - it's ok, bad spelling will pass.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 138 ✭✭
    They're using their proper English skills somewhere over there, not necessarily over here. Minor details.
    2002 180      Eastern LI, NY
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    @Rich_
    true. 
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current