Options

Heading to Key West

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pics. I just got to my water home after a short flight from Chicago. Glad to be on the water. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Its ok Raybo I wasnt sure myself after having the throttle cables replaced. Hope to have smoother seas going back
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Handy hope the ride is better for you heading back. Why you on the forum so much your supposed to be on vacation......LOL Enjoy.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Ok made it back. Same fuel usage so that equates to 24 gph just like Yanmar quotes. 145 miles to my house. Took 5.5 hours 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Handy, did you run 5.5 hours wot ?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
  • Options
    4.5 actually WOT. Rest was up the river and thru the canals. Now I could have used a lot less fuel and kept it at my most economical speed of 28, but I wanted to get home
  • Options
    Good thing you put those drive showers on before that trip. go diesel, 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Fluid remained steady in the bottles at the full mark. Level never changed. I did however lose some metal on my lower starboard skeg. Will have to get some skeg guards now
  • Options
    Remember my WOT rpm is only 3400 so its not turning as fast as a gasser at 4800 plus a gasser 342 with 6.2 would be burning 42 gph probably
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOT is still WOT... you'd be better served to run WOT for a second or two, and pull back just enough to feel the reduction, and hold there. 

unlike a gasser, your diesels will either wet stack (if you're at WOT and not burning all the fuel; as in overfueling and usually evidenced by black smoke, and not far from those injectors turning into tiny cutting torches and doing a number on your piston faces) or, you pull more air than you can mechanically fuel (in which case WOT actually provides less performance than providing the right amount of air for the fuel being delivered)... 

the sweet spot is usually where you have just a hint of opacity to your exhaust.  
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Handy - Love the pics! I've spent time in that marina while sailing Key West Race Week. What a great area! Hope you got over to Turtle Crawls assuming its still there. Any idea why those 6 rub rail screws backed out? No biggie?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    yeah look up a 47' egg harbor in that marina... the owner is named Steve, too... he's a bud... he rents that thing on AirBnB, so it may not be him aboard, but if it is tell him to part with a beer while using my name in vein.. :smile:

• Options
    Dont think wot is harmful to these motors. Now if they were dura junk or power jokes that would be a different story
  • Options
    Dont think wot is harmful to these motors. Now if they were dura junk or power jokes that would be a different story
    I didn't say it was- I said it could be... and there is no harm in pulling back off WOT a touch to ensure there won't be.  

your engines were designed to provide air enough to meet the pump/injectors ability to fuel... or could be said your injectors/pump ability to fuel was designed around the air intake- either way, they're married.  

that's all well and good... and if it is right there will be no issue.. but differences in air temperature could easily disrupt that balance... an air filter clogging could do the same...  so why tempt it? All I'm suggesting, and it's your own business one way or the other, is that if your yanmars top at 3200 RPM, to back down to 3150 instead, and keep them well within their design parameters...

running WOT that long, have you checked your oil for fuel dilution?  You wouldn't have such a worry if you backed off WOT just a touch...

• Options
    Gee Drew I was told by my Yanmar tech to run it like that 
  • Options
    in all honesty and after I posted the above, it dawned on me that those things have a rev limiter/governor for a reason....  :D
  • Options
    It was a great weekend trip but I dont think I will do it again. If you add the fuel and marina, its cheaper and safer to drive. 
  • Options
    Oh Handy stop being so cheap. With all your money your complaining about burning a little fuel. Remember you have diesels and fuel burn is next to nothing...............LMFAO
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    It was too risky
  • Options
    Baby......LOL
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    Cheaper?  Sure, but:  the days your Rinker spends parked -- you don't get those back.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good one @LaRea ...Handy, why do you say risky? Weather not so good? Problems navigating? My anxt would be hitting a big coral plume or otherwise grinding fiber glass into coral/rock-I seem to boat most often in pretty "soft" areas...sounds fun to me but get the expense. I would trailer down closer to the area and launch...
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big diesel dive boats are never run at wot. I have never heard an inboard diesel owner run for any length of time above 75%.  IMO, respectfully wot is insane.
  • Options
    He wanted to go home. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    It just wasnt a pleasant ride going down and then the boat is totally covered with salt spray. Took me all day to clean it yesterday. The amount of work does not equal the pleasure.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod

Handy, it truly sounds like you need to stick with your pontoon/day boat.  I don't mean it in a bad way, but yes there is always a ton of work that goes into just a few days of pleasure for boating.  Every year in June we head to VA beach (160 miles).  I'm always a bit nervous about what happens if we don't make it there and be a real pain & not a fun vacation if something goes wrong on the way.  But once we get there, it's all worth it.  Time for the drinks and relax!  then I always feel good the rest of the summer cause we ran it well for that long trip!

As far as cleaning, well, that is continuous.  I'm sure for the colored hull it's even more work.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I think it was just too long of a trip for 4 days and all the work then you have to go back to work. I'm sure if I had more time or was on a vacation that would be different 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    I agree that is a good distance for only 4 days.  It takes me the first day or two just to get in that relax mode of vacation!  For a 3 or 4 day trip, half of the distance you went would be about the max.  Each of our 10-days we do, the most we put on the boat is maybe 350 miles.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express