Heading to Key West

13

Comments

  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys need to retire LOL....Steve, I thought you were going to Florida to relax a bit???????
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then you did not stay long enough! Can't enjoy the boat sitting on the lift!! What then was the "risky" part you mentioned above"?
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ras, you know Steve will never tell us that......we'll just to all have to use our imaginations. Come on Ras - this IS Steve you're talking about after all?!
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MT paaaleasse The risky part was going down, middle of ocean, waves and current bad enough to twist the 342 around like it was nothing. MT, I moved to FL to be where I wanted to be when retirement gets near in 10 years!!!
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just jealous Steve, beautiful house on a canal, boat lift and a diesel. Well, two out of three ain't bad.....LOL
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah well I must have hit a rock and took off 2 inches of skeg and a very slight bent prop
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've lost 2" off your skeg and bent your prop?  You surely would have felt that in performance on the way back, wouldn't you have?

    Boat Name: King Kong

    "Boat + Water = Fun"

  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did feel a slight vibration. Didnt notice any handling. we did hear a loud thump going out the canals but we saw a large piece of wood floating and thought we bumped that
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Mark, its a diesel..."shake rattle and roll" how would Steve know if he hit something? LOL

    Bigger question is - what was he using for a GPS?????

    Oh man, this is becoming way too much fun. I can hardly wait for Handy's trip to Cuba, THAT'S going to be AWESOME!!!!! :-)

  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MT, paaleasse I have 2 GPS and soon to have the most advanced one on the market. 
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .....yeah, Steve it looks like that's a good idea! You know, you do have to look at it once in a while, right?
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

    By the way, according to the previous owner, these were Jasper lower unit rebuilds. Maybe it just fell off. 
  • TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Ooooh!  Ouch!
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually MT, I used the compass most of the way
  • TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Just head for the cumulus clouds in the distance.  They form over Key West.  If the conditions are correct and they are present, that is all you need.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy cr*p, that's real mean and just after your awesome painting of the drives! Steve, what do you think got it, coral?
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe a rock in the canal heading out of Cape Coral
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like your drive got into a fight with a gator and lost. Ouch!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes" (Sold)
    2022 Cherokee 294GEBG Black Label land yacht. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Handy it was worth it , story's to tell.  Better than staying  on the couch, and I thought you were retired.
    Boat Name : 

  • halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    Safe return Handy. You're livin the dream
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    OucH! That is what has be backed off but really, it can happen anywhere....You'd think that prop/propshaft took a heck of a wack....
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,954 mod

    Well, maybe someone on here knows of a good place in your area that can do the repair on that.  Good thing it didn't do more damage than that.  I'd check the transom area as well because it probably gave a bit of impact there.

    Good luck and keep us updated with any repairs.

    Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn, definitely good to check the transom but wouldn't the I/O kick itself up on the trim cylinders before any major stress is put on the transom? I know back in my days of teaching sailing from Whalers with outboards we hit sunk logs periodically after storms and every time the outboard would move up on the trim upon impact. Trimmed it back down to where it was and off we went. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    They do kick but not enough to prevent major damage like his skeg.
    main thing here is to fix the prop to stop the slight vibration,
    check the prop hub connection,
    look for any stress cracks in the lower case. Check gear lube for water.
    then during haul out throw a indicator on the prop shaft and check for runout.
    dont put skeg guards. They are junk and only for looks.
    have a valid marine guy weld up your skeg or order a new skeg and have it welded.
    profesional guys will do it with no damage to seals or the case.
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had mine welded last fall. The guy came to the house and did a great job. (The pics got out of sequence for some reason).

    2008 330EC
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The welder can't get close enough to my boat. I may just have to haul it out again
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Best way to go
    skeg guards are junk and you still have to drill to install them. So if there is nothing there how do you mount it lol.
    plus guards are stainless and drives are Allum. Bad all around. Get a new one put on.
    i had one on my sea Ray years ago and they do look cool with stainless props but when I nailed a rock it caused even more damage.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the disadvantage of SS props, a hard strike can bend the prop shaft. I'd check the run out Steve as it looks like the props took a hit too!
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would think I would have noticed some serious noise
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bent a prop shaft once and didn't hear noise but I did feel a vibration. You're probably okay as your prop's "ears" weren't bent like mine, they just seem to be shaved a bit!
Sign In or Register to comment.