Options

Anyone install a ATL Fuel Bladder in a 270 Fiesta Vee?

2»

Answers

• Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
  • Options
    TempestTempest Member Posts: 1
    Bladders are a terrible idea in a boat. In aircraft, the bladders have an expiry date and must be removed, pressure tested, inspected repaired or replaced. As they age they get more brittle, then they crack or can otherwise get damaged in the removal/installation process. Proper bladder installations require tying the bladder to the sides of the tank as you back out of the hole to stop the tank from collapsing as the fuel level goes down or air pressure loads affect it. I wouldn't want to be thinking about that every 5 years in my boat. 
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I hope I don't ever have to deal with bladder problems. I'm 65 years old. :D
    Andy
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, boat bladders are greatly improved from the days of old, their life expectancy is now 15 to 20 years,  the life expectancy for the aluminum tanks is 10 to 15....after 10 every year is a roll of the dice.   

Since i did all the labor and have access to a huge A frame (thank you general electric)  my only cost in a fuel tank replacement was materials.  A 65 gallon tank was approx 1100 with shipping.  Many of us don't have access to a trailer or A frame.    

I did other repairs while i was in there but the fuel tank was the largest single purchase.  

I personally would have rather had a plastic tank as in 1000 years it would still be going strong but the cost for a one off plastic tank would have been too much.  

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 270 is an 05 and the single most thing I worry about- and there really is nothing you can do about it. I assume if I pull the Genny and the motor it will come out or am I cutting my way to it?
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I recall another member posting his experience removing the tank from a 270.. it wasn't pretty
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aft cabin wall has to come out.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Getting the aft cabin wall out was the easy part, mostly done with a sawzaw, getting the the painted areas sanded down to properly to tab everything back in was the time consuming part.  That and prying the snug fit old fuel tank from inbetween the stingers.

Plan on new aft cabin carpet and lay plastic down on anyting you dont want dusty.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    So aft cabin bulkhead and floor have to go? I'm guessing none of these brands are designed for tank removal but you'd think there would be some sort of plan considering the failure rate...and the motor too?
  • Options

The only boats I've seen with no cut removable tanks were walk around/center console types. They are under a large hatch and strapped inbetween stingers.  Well, and pontoons.