Options

Looking to buy my first Rinker, 2000 340, thoughts and opinions

I am new to the Rinker brand. Previous boats were a 1996 Maxum 1900SCR, Maxum 2400SCR, Sea Ray 330DA and the one was  a Regal 3780. I did most of the service myself so I'm a bit of a bilge rat mechanic. I liked them all. I've been out of boating for 7 years, I'm ready to get back in. I've been mostly looking at 2000/2001 Sea 340s. 

I recently looked at a 2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee and also a 2000 340 Fiesta Vee. I'm impressed. I'm leaning towards the 2000 mostly because of price. The 2003 is turn key and shows well. The 2000 has been on hard for 3 years, needs a good cleaning, some TLC and such, it's about have the list price though.

Both have the 350 Mags MPI with Bravo III outdrives. 

Next step is offer, sea trial and survey. Are there things I should check on them, known issues, this breaks, check it out, kind of things? Are these good engines? My last two boats were 7.4s with V-Drives. How do these outdrives perform, and what about dock manaeuvering? 

Though I like the Rinker, and the price is great, I finding  myself not thinking "Wow!!".  Guess I am here looking for assurance it's a good boat. 

Thanks, 

Greg

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rinkers are great boats, by far the best value for your money and built very tough.

The new management under Kim Slocum with Randy Rinker opening a big dealership is the best news in a long time! Are you committed to the 342 or 340? If you are get in both and stand up all over the two boats to check headroom. Sit on the toilets of both boats. Do you have enough room?

If you are not committed to a 342 or 340 look at a 350or 360. IMO you will get a much, much better boat.....bigger, more stable, huge interior cabin improvement. Far more storage. If you get a 350 or 360 get at least the 377 magnums although I suggest the 496s as better suited to that size of boat. I bow thruster would be nice and  joystick control would be heaven.

I respectfully suggest that you do not want to wish you had a bigger boat after two years and end-up looking again.

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Some of my observations after owning all sea Ray boats and now buying a Rinker. Main reason is price and looks of the boat.

First thing it's all comes down to care and maintenance if buying used.
    you can have a 5 year old formula in pieces from some Joe blow that has no idea how to maintain or care.

if buying new you get what you pay for ?
    rinker has some nice looking boats. They might not carry all high end materials but structure of the boat is built solid and can go against any other manufacturer.

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,585 mod
    I'm a former '03 342 owner, so I'm biased for sure - but I think the 342 is a better boat.

Here's the key difference: they altered the shape of the 342 hull at the stern.  It's a subtle change, but the 342 will stay on plane at very slow speeds (16-18 mph).  That's a huge deal when you are in rough seas and need to go slow, or even when you're slowing down to cross a big wake.  

There are many other small differences in layout, maintenance access, etc. that make the 342 more usable.  I'm sure that's a factor in the price of the 340 you're looking at.

If you're coming from V-drives, you'll love the performance of the 350/B3 package -- cruise speed, top speed, fuel economy, hole shot and docking.  You'll be adding a few tasks to your spring maintenance list, especially when it comes to corrosion protection, but I think it's well worth it.  

My 342 would get around 1.2 mpg at any speed from 28 to 34 mph.  You'd never get that with V-drives.  

Rinkers are known for strong hulls and great value.  New or used - it's always a lot of boat for the money.  Things to look for:

* water leaks in the cabin
    * swim platform weak from water intrusion inside the laminate
    * rust stains at the base of the bow rail stanchions (sign of water damage)

Good luck!
  • Options
    Volkl1996Volkl1996 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    Thank you for the replies. I agree on buying as big a boat as I can, now. You can see my previous boats history, each one was bigger. I look for beam as well, which the Rinker have. The 350/370 will be out of my price range.

I'm 6'3" so headroom is always a challenge. The cabin in the 342 dId feel taller than the 340. I was able walk around without bending in the 340 though. Helm height for both was not as good as the 2000+ Sea Rays. I can't stand straight.

The 342 is priced $20k more than the 342, which makes the 340 very attractive. It's 3 years older, doesn’t have the faux wood interior like the 342 does. It will need canvas and isinglass soon, though I'll be keep the boat in a covered slip so that's not a big deal to me right now. I'm not too sure about the refrigerator being under the forward berth, I guess that's okay. I'd think it would make the bed hot. 

342 has a painted blue hull whilel the 340 has a white hull.. I'm not too sure how I feel about colored hulls at this point.

• Options
    edited June 2016

There should be more head room in an EC 340 than in a 342. I sold a 2013 Rinker EC 310 and looked at a new 340. I'm pretty sure it had a lot more head room in some areas than my friend's 342 and the entry to the rear berth was better. I ended-up with a 360 because it was far more boat for the price than the 340. If a used 350 is out of the question then I would take a tape measure into both the 342 and the 340 to check the heights.

BTW, don't pay much attention to the numbers (342 or 340) as Rinker plays with them quite a bit. The 350 model became an EC360 model which I bought in 2014 which is now called an EX 370....all three models are IMO, the same size everywhere just with some different windows and trim. The 342, IMO, has less height and room inside....but don't take anyone's word for it use a tape measure. take your partner too (if you have one) to see if they like the lay-put, storage etc.

Don't make my mistake and buy too small a boat for your needs. Like you I am over 6 feet tall (6'6") so height in the cabin is a huge factor for me!

BTW doesn't the 340 have a flexsteel couch in the cabin that slides out to make another bed whereas the 342 just has a bench seat with a filler cushion?

It all boils-down to personal choice.

I should have looked harder - the first time!

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    There are lots of good things that can be said about the 340/342's.  High on that list would be serviceability, basic durability and the ability to handle rough seas.  To a point, obviously.

We had our Salt Shaker out on Lake Michigan on a couple of occasions in 2010 when even some of the ferries did not cross.  For us, following sea, six second wave period, 18 knot wave train speed and 360 feet from peak to peak.  I do not know what their typical trough to peak height was but in one instance we got hung half way up on the back of one of these monsters.  Extra throttle got us over it.  Our ports of call were Charlevoix, and then a couple of days later, Frankfort.  Bottom line, I am convinced Rinker makes some great boats.

Ours is lift kept, well cared for and looks like new.  My only issue is the faux teak cabin deck material.  It suffered a lot during a fit of cabin leaks (rainwater) that plagued the boat from new.  We got the final leak fixed two or three years back and now the boat is dry as a bone inside.  The cabin deck is now scheduled for resurfacing.

The Salt Shaker is my first boat.  I have no plans to up size of downsize.

The stock drives were an early Volvo design and that was notorious for being a maintenance nightmare.  I wound up replacing these lousy drives with the new (at the time) Volvo Ocean X drives when the original design let us down for the final time. At the same time I replaced the engines with new Volvo 300's on the notion that getting the complete set of running gear would be economically better.  Our boat is now bulletproof so to speak.

Since the boat you are looking at has the Mags and Bravos, these items are not issues for you.

This is the ideal boat for our purposes and I do not think you will be disappointed with the 340.

Tony
    Salt Shaker 342
  • Options
    On the subject of docking and maneuvering, having twin engines this series of boats can do you proud.  But they do tend to blow around a bit if there is much wind because of the large vertical surfaces and shallow draft but once you get the hang of it, you will not be intimidated very often by this when docking.  It does respond well to shifter and throttle inputs and will behave well when you tell it what you want it to do.
  • Options
    I think some of the replies are in reference to newer Rinkers? I'm referring to a 2000 340 and a 2003 342. 
  • Options
    Actually our 342 is listed as an '06 but it has the instrumentation and cabin features of an '05 model.  The 342 is just a newer version of the 340.  My first knowledge of the Rinker brand was from an article in a boating magazine that had a review of the 340.  I kept the brand in my head for several years.  Eventually I when it was possible to get a boat, I purchased the 342, all based on the article reviewing the 340.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the '03 342. I like the interior of the 342 much better over the 340. The 350 MAG MPI w/Bravo III is a solid set up. Docking with the twin outdrives is solid. I boat on Lake Mich and it can take the seas. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    ruwallydogruwallydog Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    I have a 2001 340 and I am very happy with it. All things being equal I would have preferred a 342 but at the time I was looking to purchase I couldn't find one in my price range that would work for me.

I'm 6'3 and my son is 6'4 and we don't have any headroom issues in the cabin.

If you have any specific questions I can answer let me know.
  • Options
    I have a 2001 340 and I am very happy with it. All things being equal I would have preferred a 342 but at the time I was looking to purchase I couldn't find one in my price range that would work for me.

I'm 6'3 and my son is 6'4 and we don't have any headroom issues in the cabin.

If you have any specific questions I can answer let me know.
    Why do you prefer the 342? With your height do you have challenges sleeping on the 340? The aft-cabin looks like it's pretty long. I think that would be for me and the forward for my girlfriend.

How do you like the refrigerator being under the bed? Do you find that convenient or not? Does it get hot while sleeping?
  • Options
    I could be wrong, it looks like theres more engine room space on the 342?
  • Options
    I have the '03 342. I like the interior of the 342 much better over the 340. The 350 MAG MPI w/Bravo III is a solid set up. Docking with the twin outdrives is solid. I boat on Lake Mich and it can take the seas. 
    Thankso for the feedback. What specifically do you like better? With the exception of the refrigerator I found them to be fairly similar. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole galley is different, that's probably my #1 reason. 

Note on the 342, the engine room was extended on the 2004+ models by moving the transom back further. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    No sleeping challenges in the aft bunk...it's very comfortable and definitely long enough. Just added a memory foam mattress a few years ago and it is as comfortable as sleeping at home.

Rinker A/C on both the 340 & 342 are awesome...we have a small fan that we use at night to keep the air moving. No issues...and we love our A/C for sleeping and it has been great.

I personally didn't have much of an opinion on the refrigerator under the bed but interestingly enough my brand new dock neighbor has a 342 ... Wife thought our fridge under the bed layout worked better for her.
  • Options
    As far as why I prefer the 342...I think for me the hull redesign was a meaningful improvement & it's just a really popular model for Rinker which I think can be meaningful on the back end.

That said I have owned the boat for 6 years and it's been great for our family.

• Options
    Thanks again for all the great replies. I really wish I could put two boats next to each other but I can't. It looks like the swim platform is much larger on a 342.

The 342 I looked at has a blue hull, that was painted over with blue paint about 6 years ago. It looks pretty sharp, just not sure about a colored hulll and upkeep.

You are right about the galley design, that's  something I overlooked, I'm pretty much okay with both and don't really see much of an advantage or disadvantage to either.
  • Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    I would go with the 342, when I bought my 312 I was trying to buy a 342 but could not come to an agreement.

Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Can you get the hull ID of the 342?  If the last three digits are 303 or later, it definitely has the modified hull.  I'm not exactly sure when the switch happened.

Don't get me wrong, they are both great boats.  And a price difference of $20K will buy a lot of boat fuel!

The 342 has the AC under the V-berth.  Heat wasn't an issue, and vibration was minor. 
  • Options
    Okay.... I was confused by terms. When the model 340 was used, to me the340 was an EC 340 which IMO is definitely superior to a 342. However, if by 340 the poster means a Fiesta Vee 340, well that's entirely different. I would purchase a 342 over a  FV (Fiesta Vee) 340
  • Options
    Hi LaRue, I see you are in Alexandria Virginia. I'm in Richmond and plan to keep the boat in Colonial Beach because I want to explore the Potomac more. There was a 342 in Alexandria I was going to look at but the sellers are not willing to move too much off the list price.

Looks like you have a colored hulll as well? What year?  
  • Options
    Yes, I think we were all talking about the 340 FV.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to stick my neck out. I've heard from some glass guys that they hardly see Rinkers with issues. They do see Searays and other well known brands a lot more.

I had my Rinker surveyed before I bought her brand new. The Surveyor was really impressed with the build. He couldn't believe the hull and deck was glassed together which he says normally only is done with boats worth much, much more.

Rinker is a tough boat without the high price tag.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Yes, I think we were all talking about the 340 FV.
    Agreed, 2000 340 Fiesta Vee
  • Options
    edited June 2016

@Volkl1996 for pricing comparisons I respectfully suggest googling the Rinker 340 Fiesta Vee and Rinker 342.....and looking at similar models on Yachtworld, Boatrader etc. This often gives you a good idea of the year vs condition vs price. Happy hunting. I do think you are already on the right track by looking at Rinkers.

• Options
    Michael T said:
    @Volkl1996 for pricing comparisons I respectfully suggest googling the Rinker 340 Fiesta Vee. I did and there were 6 on the site.....and looking at similar models on Yachtworld, Boatrader etc. This often gives you a good idea of the year vs condition vs price. Happy hunting. I do think you are already on the right track by looking at Rinkers.
    Thanks, the 340 is listed at $32k. A recent  $10k price reduction. Boats been on the hard for 3 years, motivated seller. Shrink wrapped waxed and wintetrized every year since. Needs some TLC, Genny would not hold a load, both engines idled rough. No sea trial yet.I'm guessing bad gas. Hull looks great.

342 is listed for $53k. I've negotiatedone down to $45k. Turn key, shows well, 13 years of professional service records plus I know the shop, very reputable. I've already talked to the shop and the mechanic about the boat, and they are impressed with it. They've done the service since new. They use to do some of the service on my Sea Ray 330DA. It's currently on the hard as well. 
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Can you get the hull ID of the 342?  If the last three digits are 303 or later, it definitely has the modified hull.  I'm not exactly sure when the switch happened.

Don't get me wrong, they are both great boats.  And a price difference of $20K will buy a lot of boat fuel!

The 342 has the AC under the V-berth.  Heat wasn't an issue, and vibration was minor. 
    Hull number on the 342 ends in B303
  • Options
    Putting the offer in writing on the 342. After reading these replies I realizever it's the better boat for me. 
  • Options
    @Volkl1996 - yep, Alexandria.  Mine is an '06 370.  The blue gelcoat looks great when it has fresh wax, but it ain't easy!  You might fare better with paint.

We have another member here who keeps his boat at Colonial Beach -- @06Rinker270 (I'm sure you'll meet him).

Good luck with the offer!