Options

Looking to buy my first Rinker, 2000 340, thoughts and opinions

13»

Comments

• Options
    Volkl1996Volkl1996 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    @06Rinker270 the 340 I considered buying is on the hard at cbyc, "Good Times"
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sure is a nice looking boat. If this question is already answered somewhere in the many replies I apologize - has there always been a bottom coat on it? Can anyone confirm this. If there has and it's been kept in good shape your hull should be okay.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!!!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Ah yes I know that boat, certainly been there for a while.  Nice boat however.  From what I have been told she's in good shape.  Ill be down this weekend.  Looking forward to some good weather.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Survey and sea trial on the 2003 342 completed today. 

- Spider cracks in the blue paint on the port side tested for moisture with the meter; no structural damage. Surveyor states water has probably gotten into the cracks. He states it's cosmetic. He was surprised though when he saw the extent of the cracks. 

- Forward hatch deck area has spider cracks that as the surveryor put it "have that noise you do not want to hear when you hit  the fiberglass with the rubber hammer"

- Same for an area around 3 of the sun pad snaps - both areas move with weight

- shower sump pump not working

- forward bilge pump not working

- Genny thru hull for the exhaust spraying water, which seemed odd to me and the surveyor. While sitting on the back seat I could feel water spraying me, no wind. He thinks it's not moving enough water and needs a new impeller. 

- When a full load was put on the genny it tripped the breaker. Only when the surveyor tunred on the stove top (heat)

-Outside refrig and ice maker would not come on

- I saw more extensive flaking/cracking of the paint on the arch

- Port windshield has become disconnected from the frame in front of the port bench seat. We could not tell if the frame has lifted, the windshield has sunk down or both. About a 3/8" inch gap that extend about 1 foot.

The surveyor and broker state all of the snaps for the sunpad need to be re-seated and that will resolve the moisture problem. on the deck I challenged this by asking "How will it dry out then". No answer. I also asked what if the core under the fiberglass has rot. No answer.  I asked what's the resolution for the moisture and soft deck around the forward hatch. I did not get a good answer. Under weight I could actually see the deck move. 

She hit WOT at 4600 RPMs and 35+ MPH. The engines performed well, boat runs very well. They let me run her for a while and I was impressed. Only issue is at 6'3" I can't stand at the helm, I have to lean forward (no isinglass up) or to the left. I tried sitting though the windshield frame and bow rail obstruct my view. I had this same issue on my Sea Ray 330DA. This could be a deal breaker for me.    

• Options
    Oh, and no moisture readings on the swim platforms, outdrives looked great, bottom/hull looked great, no mossture. 
  • Options
    Michael T said:
    It sure is a nice looking boat. If this question is already answered somewhere in the many replies I apologize - has there always been a bottom coat on it? Can anyone confirm this. If there has and it's been kept in good shape your hull should be okay.
    Yes it's always had bottom painted. 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well that should ensure a god solid hull then!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,614 mod
    4600 and 35 mph at WOT?  If the bottom is clean, something ain't right.  Either the engines aren't putting out full power, or the props are wrong.  That boat should do 40 mph.  Gotta figure that out.  

Any flex in the foredeck should be cause for concern.  On my 342, which was built the same month as yours, the foredeck was as solid as a Sherman tank.  We often had 6-8 adults dancing on the bow of that boat, and the deck would never flex at all.  If you can see it bend with 1-2 people, it might have been compromised.  And ... could this be related to the windshield issue?

Neither of these points should be deal-breakers, but both should be major issues of price negotiation.

I have some spider cracks in my gelcoat too.  Not sure what to say about that.

If I'm the seller, I'm hoping for an offer and expecting it to be down 10% or more. 
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    4600 and 35 mph at WOT?  If the bottom is clean, something ain't right.  Either the engines aren't putting out full power, or the props are wrong.  That boat should do 40 mph.  Gotta figure that out.  

Any flex in the foredeck should be cause for concern.  On my 342, which was built the same month as yours, the foredeck was as solid as a Sherman tank.  We often had 6-8 adults dancing on the bow of that boat, and the deck would never flex at all.  If you can see it bend with 1-2 people, it might have been compromised.  And ... could this be related to the windshield issue?

Neither of these points should be deal-breakers, but both should be major issues of price negotiation.

I have some spider cracks in my gelcoat too.  Not sure what to say about that.

If I'm the seller, I'm hoping for an offer and expecting it to be down 10% or more. 
    Thanks @LaRea. I'll have to double check on the MPH at WOT. I looked at the Guage though I was behind the surveyor/broker. 

Thanks for the feedback on the foredeck. When I went to step/push on the spot on the port side of the forward hatch the broker said "I wouldn't do that!"

What about the generator exhaust thru hull spraying? It has some kind of flap on it, and it was literally spraying about  5 to10 feet wide all over the hull of the boat, and on me standing in the back. .
  • Options
    That's bizarre.  Maybe there's some kind of obstruction at the exhaust outlet?
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Did yours have a flap of it? The surveyor thought maybe the flat was to stop water ingestion especially when taking a wide Port turn inputting the hull on its side. 
  • Options
    Volkl1996 said:
    LaRea said:
    Did yours have a flap of it? The surveyor thought maybe the flat was to stop water ingestion especially when taking a wide Port turn inputting the hull on its side. 
    *flap on it
  • Options
    Ugh, let's try this again 

Did yours have a flap on it? The surveyor thought maybe the flap was to stop water ingestion especially when taking a wide Port turn and putting the hull on its side. 

• Options
    No flap on mine. Flaps are used to keep exhaust water from spraying water on a boat tied up alongside you, but it's not a check valve to prevent water ingestion. 
  • Options
    For Grins and Giggles I went back and looked at the 2000 340 today. I can't exactly say why, maybe it was my experience with the 2003 342, but I actually like the boat better now.

The hull, gel coat, foredeck, topsides and overall exterior is actually in better shape than the 2003 342. There's no chipping on the arch, and the exterior cushions areally in better shape as well.

I think I like the cabin layout better as well. It feels more open to me for some reason, maybe it's because the 340 doesn’t have the forwad bulkheads, and/or it's white vs the wood, which may make it feel more open..

Engine access is definitely not as good as the 342, but its not terrible. I like the swim platform better on the 342. The 340 feels more open to me with the full stern bench seat and the bench seat on the port side, vs. the curved one on the 342 

The list price is $20,000 less as well, maybe that's hoping too.