Options

Thinking about buying a 1999 Rink Fiesta Vee 270! BUT

The boat is in great shape inside and out and the price is right, but there is one big issue and I'm not sure if I should walk away. There is a crack on the deck where the passenger lounge seat meets the deck. Seller says they get it checked every year before winter storage and is advised its not worth it to fix it and it is only cosmetic. I would get a survey done but there is a 2 week wait and I don't think the boat will be around. Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    If it was me and in fact it was cosmetic, I would go for it. Buy some Seadek and through it down and you won't even know its there. But that just depends if its cosmetic or structural. You could get the number to a local fiberglass guy and have him go look at it. He'll be able to tell you right away what he thinks. I wouldn't put the time and money for a survey but thats just me. Good Luck!
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like repairs have been attempted and not particularly we.. I don't like it. If there is no surveyor available sooner could you send him some detailed pictures? Is there a knowledgeable boater you know who could examine it? Can you see anything from the underside? If you remove the cushion is there a removable gray plastic "tub"liner in the storage area that will give you access to look at the area from the inside of the seat base. Again I don't like the look of that.
  • Options
    captccaptc Member Posts: 10
    Going to look at the boat again later today, floor seemed solid and the carpet hides it well so not to worried about looks. I will check the underside and under the cushion tonight. Here a pic with the carpet down.
  • Options
    I've never seen that extent of damage at that location. It looks like the floor/cabin lined has cracked in a number of places. Why? It just doesn't look structurally good and not seeing it with the rug down doesn't make me feel any better. How does the owner say it happened?
  • Options
    It almost looks like something heavy was dropped
  • Options
    I'm not sure how it happened, only had a couple minutes to check it out before work and that's why I'm going back tonight. I'll make sure to ask and she said she got an estimate to get it repaired and it was $2000-3000 and it was not worth doing. Then again this is someone trying to sell their boat so who knows. 
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    The seller wont tell you how it happened?  From experience, patience is well worth it.  Rush into it and you'll kick your self later.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help, I think I am going to get a survey done no matter what. Just don't want to risk it, I never asked the seller because I was in a rush but I will defiantly ask them tonight. I'll let you all know how it happened when I find out. Thanks again
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Smart move.  Good luck!  The 270 is a wonderful boat and you will love it.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Are those holes? Almost looks like something was mounted there (weird spot to mount something).  If it were me I would get under the deck and check it out. If all looks good under then I would go for it. The fiber glass if fairly easy to repair. However survey is in order......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you do go ahead with the purchase stop drill the cracks to prevent them from spreading. Then fill with 5200 or the correct gelcoat.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    And it looks like someone attempted to fix it before but failed. Man I don't know
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a survey done. If they're trying to wangle through something that obvious, who knows what else is a hidden issue on that boat.  You don't want to end up with a headache.  The seller should be able to confidentally stand behind his product, and provide the reassurances the buyer needs.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options

All very good points from the forum guys.

@captc, we are not trying to steal your excitement. It is just that this is a suspicious looking damage. It also looks too big to be something simple. I could be wrong but it looks sigbificant. Like Ray's comment it also looks like a repair was attempted. @shawnmajr hit it on the head (imo) when he advised - don't rush this purchase. It would be better to lose it than purchase a serious headache. BTW you can get a lot of gel coat work done for $3,000.00 - that tells me the gel coat guy smells a problem. Respectfully - get any comments made by the surveyor in writing - particularly of that area.

• Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    I had the same issue/same spot with my 2000 FV270. Never leaked or caused a problem. I filled it with a flexible adhesive without further issues. I think I could have fixed it myself with a sand down and a few layers of fiberglass followed by some gel coat. Good luck. -Paul
  • Options

@pault1216, so what do you attribute those cracks to, a hull flex area, weak floor area, water weakening over time?

IMO, that's not normal and it's not good.

I can see where it would hurt re-sale as banks often require surveys if the buyer needs a loan and no surveyor I know would pass that - it looks like a structural problem or design defect.

• Options
    awhiresawhires Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    :) interesting post, I agree with above. $3000. for something cosmetic? don't think that's realistic... what happens when you sit on the corner of that seat?? or a fat guy sits there???
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Possible water seepage through a screw hole(carpet snap) and the water froze over the winter causing expansion and cracks?! 
  • Options
    So tonight I checked the boat out better because I had some more time. It looked pretty good on the interior, and everything seemed in good condition. The "stress crack" looked like it was drilled and filled with some kind of resin or glue? I'm not sure. Owner said they bought the boat that way and didn't notice it when they bought it because it was covered by carpet. Owner says they don't know what caused it but it hasn't cracked anymore since they bought it (9 years).  They said they try and seal it ever year to make sure moisture doesn't get in. Seemed solid, not soft or given in. Outside looked pretty dirty, stored outside in the winter and hasn't been waxed or buffed yet. When I rub my hand on it, it feels rough and chalky? Is that normal and will that buff out? I didn't see any peeling. Here is some picks of the engine, ran good with no problems. A little water on the bottom and I wasn't sure if that was normal or not either. I still plan on getting a survey on it and will work on that tomorrow. Thanks again everyone for the helpful info!
  • Options
    Youre almost always going to have a little water in the bilge from rain water and stuff.  Regarding the crack, I would still have a glass guy look at it and get his professional opinion. 
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    captc said:

Captc- those cracks around the transom, are they just gel coat spider cracks or some kind of internal/structural cracking?  Have the surveyor pay special attention to that.
  • Options
    Those look more like scratches from the pictures but I could be wrong. Regardless if you're going to have it surveyed then he will take care of everything for you. 
  • Options
    bry1429 said:
    captc said:

Captc- those cracks around the transom, are they just gel coat spider cracks or some kind of internal/structural cracking?  Have the surveyor pay special attention to that.
    I don't think those are cracks, it's the paint design you are seeing.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Ok so I talked to guy who was going to buy the boat a week ago, small world. He had a survey done and decided not to buy the boat. He said the crack was probably from a carpet button and is not structural. He said there was a lot of small issues that were starting to add. But the main reason he walked away was because the moisture level in the transom was at 22% and he wasn't comfortable with that. ( what do you guys think?) and there was a gasket in the head that had leaked a little anti freeze that would probably need replaced down the road and he didn't want to deal with other people's poop lol. Any info on what is acceptable moisture level for a 17 year old boat would be great!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    From what I've read in the past a lot of moisture meters aren't accurate. Here's a good article to read.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/moisture_meters.htm
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Agreed that the moisture meters aren't always accurate.  however its a good baseline that most surveyors use to make a guesstimate.  For a boat of that age 22% doesn't sound too bad.  I would want readings from all over the transom area, braces and stringers in that region. 

I think a cumulative negative assessment from the surveyor is what would make me likely walk from this or another deal. 

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Agreed that the moisture meters aren't always accurate.  however its a good baseline that most surveyors use to make a guesstimate.  For a boat of that age 22% doesn't sound too bad.  I would want readings from all over the transom area, braces and stringers in that region. 

More importantly I think a cumulative negative assessment from the surveyor is what would make me likely walk from this or another deal. 

• Options
    Theres always going to be some sort moisture in the transom especially in a 17 year old boat. What is the asking price for the boat?