Options

Thinking about buying a 1999 Rink Fiesta Vee 270! BUT

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod

Aero, that is a great article!  I've read a lot by David Pascoe and he sure has the experience.

I've never been one to go by the moisture meters. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    @captc , I felt that same excitement your feeling right now with the prospect of getting a nice looking boat with what you might think is a minor problem.  I too felt the pressure of losing a "deal".  I'm embarrassed to admit but I bought a 2004 Rinker that was in the water.  The po showed me pics of the boat when it was on the hard that season. Didn't seem that it needed much.....
      Well, just peruse through what I've gone through in my discussions  and you'll see what that impulsive feeling could get you into.  Listen to what guys are suggesting.  With all that said I feel ya.  Nothing more exciting than the prospect of getting a new toy but their will be others at the end of the season if nothing else catches your eye now.   Hope your not offended but maybe you should heed the advise some of these good guys have suggested.  They really do have your best interest and have a great wealth of experience. Good luck!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Unfortunately the banks who issue the loans want data from moisture meters and the new ones are very accurate. They do not use probes like the old ones for obvious reasons. IMO no one should base their decision on any one piece of data but an overview. That said I think it would be remiss to not request moisture content reading of the hull and particularly the transom area. 
  • Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    Michael T-my boat also had the cracks when purchased (7 yrs old then). Possible hard impact but the gel coat looked too thick in that area which I believe makes it crack prone. Also had to have the gimbal ring replaced. Good thing to check for that age boat.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good points Paul.

Rinker has had some issues over the years with gel coat that was a bit too thick. At least they aren't stingy with the gel coat like some other manufacturers.

As you know, gel coat that is sprayed-on too thick will not flex and cracks.

That said, what appears in the pictures (to me) looks way beyond any "normal" gel coat crack that I have seen. It looks to me like some kind of weird impact damage - just too worrying for me to not move on to another boat.

Unless..... the owner would agree to pay for say 70% of the cost of the repair - just so I knew there would be some limit to the expenses. And if the owner said no - well that would tell me something too? 

Someone saying to me don't worry the carpet covers it - I'd be thinking, really, how is that working for you?

I just don't want to see a future Rinker brother get burned and have a negative experience with Rinkers, but we all know that I am pretty ocd when it comes to the condition of a boat so that has to be considered too.

• Options
    captccaptc Member Posts: 10
    I can buy it for 12k with no trailer, but with the new engine put  in last year and the price I was okay over looking somethings.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    Well, with that price you have a little bit to work with.  I guess it depends on how much you want to do to the boat after you buy it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Was the owner open about it and showed you or did you have to find it?  Heck of a price.  But will that change if a lot of costly repairs are needed up front?  Personally, covering up with the carpet would not be sufficient for me.  Would need total repair to be satisfied.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    captccaptc Member Posts: 10
    Owner was open about it and I ended up passing on the boat. Seemed like a solid boat but I didn't want to run into issues. Thanks for all your help guys!