Options

2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee: Survey/Sea Trail completed, question, opinion, comments on results

2»

Comments

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Good luck. Sounds like they forced probably the better decision.   With the windshield and paint spider cracking I'm guessing the boat was beat on. Did the surveyor provide you with engine data?  I always like to look at number of hours operated above 4k rpms. If a lot you know the PO did not treat it the way he should have. 
    Interesting that they dropped the coin for an awl grip job. That is not a cheap upgrade. But man does awl grip look nice and hold up. 
  • Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    Rule #1 - Always go with your gut feeling - well, assuming of course you have an educated gut :-)
    It pays to educate yourself as much as possible and you certainly came to the right place for getting great information. Good luck on your search!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunate, but best to walk away with that list of known to-do's.  Must not be too interested in selling or can't afford the repairs.  Items like you noted should be easily found by another person doing a survey..unless they skip that part!

Good luck!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

I am not surprised but I am disappointed.

Maybe they are hoping that someone without knowledge purchases it. I have owned many, many boats and fiberglass that is in structural areas and shows potential core problems is a huge red flag. Not only for the present extent of the damage but the fact that once the osmotic damage begins by the very definition of the term it draws more moisture and water into the core and bad just gets worse.

FWIW I highly support your decision. I have had to turn my back on boats that I had my heart set on before. It was wise in the end because my wallet could not have written the cheques that my heart would have gotten me into!

• Options
    Volkl1996Volkl1996 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    Thank you all for the great feedback. My gut told me this wasn't the right boat. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,570 mod
    You did the right thing.  That's a buyer who is not willing to face reality.  Good luck with your search.