Options

Axle Alignment

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
I had a previous thread on this but was kind of mixed in with someone else's so I thought I'd start my own. My 270 has a twin axle trailer and the front two tires are getting really chewed up, rear tires show no weird wearing at all. From the previous thread, it was mentioned that the axles were not tracking with each other. So, I looked at the boat and although not very scientific way to measure, I have a large T square for drywall and I laid the straight edge from left to right against the front tire to get a sense of where the rear tires are in relation- it was over an inch difference easily. I understand depending on the weight distribution, this is not entirely accurate and would need to pull the tires off and probably align with the calipers. At first I thought this would be to large of a task but since there is no front to back adjustment, it is only from left to right one of the axles needs to move- is this a task that if I do it myself and line them up with a straight edge with which ever axle is centered on the trailer, will that be good enough or is there some much more scientific what to do it?

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    do it yourself... the tricky part is the shackles if you have leaf springs on them- make sure one isn't frozen or stuck opposite of the one on the other side. 
  • Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    Get torsion springs, if you don't have them already.  I have three axles of them, they are more expensive but the trailer pulls so much better and the boat rides better. 
  • Options
    I will take a picture of my spring/axle set up as I am not to clear on the differences...there is only adjustment from left to right, there is no adjustment from front to back so I assume I have a torsion spring set up..I assume they are running straight, just not in line with each other....thanks
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember you can have parallel and axial misalignment. Trailers are not exactly made to 'automotive' standards for wheel/axle alignment. You would be suprised how far off they can be. Truely needs to be on alignment track to get it right. The cost is way cheaper than tires!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    A good alignment/frame shop that does this should be easy to find. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Yea, I'm seeing that as it can move back and forth as well as front to back. I'm sure with the boat off a quick job for someone that has the equipment. I don't have many miles on the tires and those front two are ate up. BOAT strikes again...thanks all for the input.
  • Options
    Next time out, feel how hot those front tires are. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I'm sure they are the way there tore up!
  • Options
    NRathNRath Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    I'd talk to the alignment shop...  The tricky part is that they will need/want the trailer loaded to set the alignment.  However, handling the trailer with a monster boat won't be routine and most likely not fit in the shop.  Hence, you may have a hard time finding someone willing to help.  Definitely try!
  • Options
    I have been given the name of a company close to me and will look them up soon and talk to them about it. Will post the final outcome! 
  • Options
    it's not hard to do yourself... it's just as accurate to do yourself as it is to pay someone unless they have equipment set up specifically for trailers... which most don't.... 

get weight of trailer off tires- jack stand the frame in four places, posting where a square can be drawn within the frame, and a fifth stand on the tongue if required. 

from a fixed position- say, on-center of the mast, measure to your leading edge of the leading wheel lip.  do the same on the other side.  they should match precisely.  there is enough room to loosen shackles (if equipped with leaves) or punch up the torsion bar (if equipped with torsion) the difference... measure other axles same way, adjust same way... 

you are not concerned with camber, you are not concerned with castor, and you are not concerned with toe.  these are not steer wheels.  they are fixed solid axles... the axle manufacturer should have produced an axle that when properly constructed, and based on it's rating, is set in a non-adjustable manner to accommodate camber... toe in isn't relative and castor isn't relative.  

as mentioned before, the biggest place people screw this up is when bushings start to fail, and the hinge that exists on leaf spring axles hangs. it will make measuring accurately next to impossible.  hit them with some silicone lubricant spray, and whack them with a mallet while the tires are off the ground.

see that hinge in the front?

it can be a bit of an aggravation, especially if it has been dunked in salty drink and not maintained.  you gotta make sure they're matching in position from side to side.  

this, is a torsion bar trailer axle (not like a vehicle torsion bar axle)

they, too, are fixed.  Check the key for wallow.  replace spindle/key assembly if needed. 

heat was mentioned... heat will tell you alignment in a heartbeat... an IR temperature gun is invaluable in this use... once inflation and balance has been addressed and confirmed, the offending wheel/tire will run a lot hotter than the true tracking one.  measurements across the contact patch will tell you what needs to be adjusted and where.... if its measurements match up as addressed above, it's your camber you're having issue's with, which means it's most likely an issue with your wheels/tires and not the axle.  
  • Options
    wow, @212rowboat, thanks for the info...guess I could not make it much worse than it already is...the only thing I don't have is a good flat place to work from as my drive way had a heck of a pitch to it ( Yes, in Fl!) and I don't think doing it on the street I could ever get it level...can it be done with the boat off? Then I might be comfortable doing it on the street....I will look this over later but looks like some great info here I and other can use and I thank you again!
  • Options
    rec you do it w/o boat onboard- easier to climb around...  however, loaded or unloaded doesn't matter... you can't adjust a thing except where it's attached to the frame... the axle is supposed to be able to support the weight it's rated for- if the camber, castor, or toe is jacked up, you've got greater issues than an alignment... 

if you're wearing **** one tire across the tread, and it's a braking axle, i'd want to get a look at the condition of the braking mechanisms.... that temperature gun comes in handy again here, too. 
  • Options
    I have the gun but have been using it to check the temp of the hub. Will be trailering this weekend but not far, will be interesting to see what readings I have. My "commute" usually is about 10 miles maybe? And I do that a couple of times a month so even over the last year, worst case that was only 240 miles so they must really be off trac! I will for sure be looking at this real hard. I have all sorts of issues with this trailer, the back up brake lock out does not work although I put a new master cylinder and valve on, it gets power and I hear it click but the brakes lock up in reverse- would dragging brakes do that? It was a mess when I bought it and I re did all the calipers with new seals and packed the bearing etc. but still just not working correctly. I don't feel like I'm getting real  "solid" breaking when I stop but  if I jack each wheel up and manually pull on the emergency brake handle, each wheel is braking some and seems to spin free when the brake is released. I need to put the boat in the water for a weekend and just mess with the trailer...only problem is once the boat is in the water, well who cares about a trailer, it's boatin time!

More to follow, sounds like @212rowboat is our resident trailer expert!
  • Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    ras,

My thoughts exactly, my trailer is due for a tune up as well, but it ain't happening this weekend!!!  I have put over $5K worth of new parts and work into this trailer.  if you were local, I have a guy I could send you to, he is awesome.  That is all they do is boat trailers.  He took my broke down trailer and basically made it new again.  New torsion springs, new brakes, bearings and tires, plus the trailer wasn't supporting the weight of the boat very well, so he bolted in two 1/4 inch thick, 16 inch long, and 8 inch wide plates of stainless steel.  used many bolts, trailer is rock solid now.  I just need a new winch, strap and bow stop.
  • Options
    @212rowboat well, I fixed my tv but not my trailer yet! I am going to get some pictures of the tire wear and the suspension up and post it. I need new tires all around and as mentioned before, I don't have 500 miles on them. I will also look at the GVWR for the trailer if it is on there- what about axle capacity, how would I know if they are correct? I will review your detailed comments above and see what I can see on it. It's pretty much dark when I get home so it's hard to do much. will have it on the water this weekend as long as I can make it to the ramp. I replaced the tires with the weight rating that I took off- I need to look at that as well. I did find the tires were under deflated some which I'm sure can cause issue, but, I would think that would eat the outer edges of both sides of the tire, not one side of the tire. I will get pictures up and as much info and look at the springs. My son in law was over and made the comment the suspension did not look level, but when I looked at it I could not see what he was seeing. I don't think the trailer was ever really set up for this boat- I moved the boat around adjusting the tongue weight so I could get it out at the ramp- the trailer rides level so I assumed I had it correct best I could, he seemed to think I needed to get it up further on the trailer so more weight was directly over the axles. I will get some pictures up- maybe someone that knows what they are talking about (not me!) can't see something obvious that I can not.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ras, there should be a tag welded somewhere on the axle. Hopefully its a Dexter axle and you can get some answers
  • Options
    Yep, I hooked the truck up and will hopefully have more info to post in the am. I really need to start from scratch. Other boats I've had were pretty light weight and I'm sure not as critical. I need to get the tongue weight as a start but have no idea how I can do that. Also, I have a hitch that you can move the ball up and down, would that not change the pivot point and the tongue weight? I am really starting from the beginning....i would love to take the check book out and head to a shop but that is not my nature and my experiences so far, not many shops know much more than I do....there is a plate on the trailer, I will get the rating on the tires...hopefully there will be some info on the axles. I will get some pictures of the tire wear, the position of the suspension on the trailer and take a look at the springs position on the truck. I do need to figure out what I'm dealing with for tongue weight I'm sure to get tho started. 212 has provided some info to look at the alignment which I need to study on more....I have pulled the hubs and re packed the bearings- everything there seemed to be tight there. So, how do I get a tongue weight?
  • Options
    @212rowboat looking over your post...where the heck do you find jack stands tall enough to support from the frame? I have two automotive ones but would think a stretch to get them that high. When I am trying to measure as you describe above, what do you mean by measure from the mast? By the time we are dine everyone will able to figure out their trailer problems as mine has all of them!
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 lugs is around 3500#
    6 lugs is around 5000#
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also model # for trailer is usually the gross,venture trailer vrt7200 is 7200#.don't forget some of the wieght is on the truck.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    I have 6 lug wheels and a 9900# rated trailer so I assume I have the basics to work with. Will post pictures when I get to work.
  • Options
    OK- here is the info so far:
    GVWR of trailer is 9990, payload of 8600. Read a post from @Alswagg on the same subject and boat that the boat should be around 8300 #, fuel about 700 and 1400 for the trailer. So that puts the weight at around 10400. A little over, axles estimated at 5000# each. Wish I had a little more to work with but I would think marginal at worst. I am posting pictures of the tires and also a view of the suspension that looks like it is leaning a little to the rear. With regard to the tongue wight, I have an adjustable hitch. So if I lower the hitch a notch, that will level the rear suspension some I assume and would be the same effect as pulling the boat forward on the trailer. My transom is already past the end of the bunks so I don't know how much further up I should try to pull it- is lowering the hitch the same effect as far as the tongue weight? Once I get that suspension leveled out I will make the venture to the truck scales and see what that tongue weight is as well as confirm the weight of the loaded trailer. I would have thought that if the weight was more on the back tires that is where I would have the worse tire wear issues but it looks like the front ones are taking the beating the worse. What do the experts speculate on this one?
  • Options
    Ras, you have to minus the tongue weight from the total weight of the boat. I had the same issue on my fifth wheel. 
  • Options
    yep, I need to determine my tongue weight first- but I want to resolve the leveling of the boat first from the questions above and then I will get the actual weights. I'm sure I'm ok on the trailer weight once I back off the tongue weight. I need to figure out why I'm chewing up those tires like that- they may have 500 miles on them tops! 
  • Options
    In Ft Myers, we have a great trailer shop/manufacture. Do you have one up there?
  • Options
    if that was a vehicle, i'd tell you with confidence you had both a toe and a camber issue... 

it isn't, though... 

is it a torsion setup or leaves?  I can't tell on this screen by the pictures... if it's full axle, and it's one of those shaped ones, it may stand to reason that the V isn't plumb.  

if you've been dragging it around unloaded, and with a trailer brake engaged even slightly, I could see that kind of wear, too.  it wouldn't take long for that kind of wear either if the brakes are dragging.... are both axles braked or just one?  
  • Options
    check last... turns out i can zoom a pic.. 

leaves.... full axle... 

but is it a drop axle? meaning, does the center cap center on the axle, or is the axle's center below the wheels center by use of an offset plate/bar? 

break out the chalk....

draw a line on the pavement/concrete that runs the length of the unloaded trailer from ball hitch to a foot or two behind the furthest back frame brace.  draw four more exactly parallel to the first- the inside lines the measurement of the inside of the tire, the outside lines the measurement of the outside width of the tires.

use your chalk and a carpenters square to make 90* line through all the parallel lines that match where your axles would be.  

mark your axles dead in the middle with the chalk... mark your rear most frame brace dead center with the chalk.

roll your trailer directly on top of your art work- with the hitch splitting the center line, and the middle mark of the rear most brace also spitting it.  

your tires should be dead in between your parallel lines.  

the perpendicular lines should align to the center caps of the wheels. 

if not.... adjust it.  

now... load your boat.

park it atop the same drawing, and see if it still aligns.  

you could have a bent axles and you could have bent spindles.  I can't tell by the pics on this screen if your wear is scalloped or smooth- scalloped could be something else altogether.  
  • Options
    @212rowboat you have this down to a science! Brakes dragging a little? Possibility...but why would that trash the out side edge of the tire? I store the boat on the trailer so I don't pull it empty. I don't see any hits to the axle for it to be bent. I would say the wear is smooth on 3 tires, I might describe one of the tires, front left I think, as scalloped- almost like chunks. The axles are straight and are not offset. Also, look at that side picture of the two wheels- looks like I need to drop the hitch a bit to level out that suspension- I have the boat transom a little forward of the end of the bunks. Can it be as simple as the trailer not level? I do want to check that alignment as you described but first I want to check the tongue weight and found a method to do with a bathroom scale which I guess will be close. Would the trailer not level cause the worse wear on the front or would it be the other way around? Both axles are braked. I would like to replace the calipers and the lines...they seem to be stopping ok but if I back the trailer they lock. I replaced the master cylinder and the lock out solenoid. It gets power and I hear it click. I have jacked up each wheel to see that the brake on each wheel works as near as I can tell but I guess they can be dragging some, hard to tell with disc brakes what is normal and what is dragging....just not enough experience on my end..look at the first tire picture at the top edge and I think you can see perhaps what you said might be a scallop effect. Thanks @212rowboat , you giving me some stuff to check!
  • Options
    those wheels are notorious, especially in salt water, to wafering... the metal pulls apart in the spokes and becomes several thin layers instead of one solid one, which makes the wheels wobble slightly (less than a mm), and inside the paint- not breaking the paint until the later stages... the only indication you can bank on is by comparing heat generated to a known good wheel as soon as you stop.

the weight on the wheels is not resting on the spokes from 3 oclock to 9 oclock as it would seem- weight is actually hanging from 9 oclock to 3 oclock.. as it is, when weight hangs, it works something like a plumb bob and hangs vertical which makes seeing any offset, as a result of deterioration, hard to see.  

i'd rec you lay under the frame right before or after the axles and look carefully at the wheel, and maybe even run a fingernail down the spokes and feel for a little ridge.  if there is a consistent ridge there is bad things in store for you and those wheels.  the metal is fatigued and about to go.  maybe it will give you further warning, or maybe it won't before it pops the rims free of the face plate (if that ridge is present)...  

for a saltwater rig that sees a lot of dunking and load, aluminum wheels are a must... balancing steel is almost a fools game, as they deteriorate and shift constantly. 

what you call scoop is scalloping- it is indicative of either bad balance, or play in the wheel bearings allowing lateral movement inside and out while moving- it's almost imperceptible to a naked eye, and only needs maybe five to ten millimeters of play to scoop them right up... if what i'm saying is correct, the spokes loading and unloading from hanging the weight to being driven into the ground (with the rim/tire in between) would force the outside edge to bite.  it would also stand to reason since all wheels match and are presumably the same age/exposure to same use, they would all be having the same issue. 

if you need to move the weight further back to eliminate tongue weight, you're only going to want to move that tower an inch or so.  geometry isn't my strong suit, but experience tells me that an inch forward or back is worth at least 10% of the total hitch weight.  looking at your rig attached, you may want to consider bagging the rear axle on your tow pig.... you can pick up some good bridgestone pneumatic bags for less than $200, or add an onboard compressor and control for around $500... it may seem like a needless expense, but once you use them?  you'll wonder why you haven't before- and you'll want to tow everything in sight.

get away from surge brakes if that is what you have (can't tell by pics on this screen)... electric and a controller is the only way to go.  

if you must use those axles (5k#) instead of bumping to 7k# axles and 8 lug, add another... it isn't as expensive as you'd think.  the axles may be capable of the weight, but those six lugs wheels, unless heavy cast or spun aluminum, won't for very long.  the axles are under tremendous stress, too.  for trailers, they say that 10% margin east of the rockies is required, and 20% west... for a salt water trailer, I'd guestimate you want at least 25% margin due to wear.... you may wash them well after every use, as do I, but..... you dunk your boat and then park your rig at the ramp? the damage is done while you're out on your boat and long before you get home to wash it.