Options

Axle Alignment

2»

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how much the trailer was ever used but it has seen some salt. It's a year older than the boat- the guy I bought from bought the boat new but the boat was on a lift out back and seldom used the trailer and for sure did not take care of it. The master cylinder was full of rust and that was about it so I did replace that and pulled the calipers apart and put new seals in etc. I noticed that the bleed screws had grease in them- I think the owner in a feverous attempt to demonstrate maintenance thought they were zerks and tried to shove grease in them! It was a basket case and sound like still is. I guess I just never thought there was so much to a trailer. Sounds like I need to hawk craigs list and see if I can come up with some aluminum wheels. I have some take off aluminum wheels from my F150, sure wished they would work? Brand new set of tires on them as well.....horse swapping time perhaps. I think I still need to do all the other things suggested. I'd think before dumping a lot of money in this trailer, it would be just as good to buy a newer on perhaps- 4 grand and I'd have a new one,...by the time I buy axles and wheels especially I'd have to be close. Since I don't trailer very far (less than 5 miles total per outing) I will check out everything you have suggested and put the wheels on the wish list and then monitor it from there and see what happens.

Thanks a ton for the info and I will work through all of this and report back!
  • Options
    @212rowboat long story but i took trailer back to the house after I launched yesterday and had to go back by the house today. The tire that has the scallop to it I kicked, and it moved! I pulled the wheel off and the front bearing is in pieces. Guess we can conclude my tire wear. The other wheels I checked(2) wiggle when I jacked them up. Will pull all four as I have no way to replace and install new races and take them to a shop on Tuesday...
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Well, probably a lot of me not keeping up with I. This trailer sat for I don't know how long..years and not maintained. I pulled the hubs apart when we bought it, repacked bearings and seals.....i should have just put new bearings in then but I had a lot on the boat bucks plate to start. On the plus side, boat will be in the water for a couple days so we can boat tomorrow and leave it at the marina!
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 936 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm amazed that trailer doesn't have triple axles. Maxing out the GVWR is never a fun gamble on any towing situation.  I would inspect those wheels closely like rowboat suggested. Other then that.....I would think brakes could roast a tire that quickly.  Good luck!  At least you live fairly close to your marina  B)
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Not being much for trailers, how does a dragging brake do that to a tire? Now I understand if the brake is locked and it's dragging the tire it will tear it up- even a dragging brake will do it some? As long as the turn of the tire is over powering the drag of the brake, am I not good? Disc brakes always seem to "drag" or barley off the surface of the rotor aren't they? Also, my trailer is 10000 lbs rated but you also deduct about 10% off the weight of the boat for tongue weight as well in the calculation don't you? I know I'm on the edge and would rather something bigger but it is what I have to work with right now. I don't pull very far and seldom even see 45 MPH. Once I get these bearing done I will re evaluate what I have to work with...if you read my original post when I bought the boat, I drove it down from the pan handle with no brakes, no lights and the tires were cracked and rotted, lug nuts where rusted so I guess living on the edge is what I do!
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 936 ✭✭✭✭
    Oops.....I meant to say, I DON'T think brakes could roast a tire that quickly.  Getting it aligned properly, will be a problem with the boat on the trailer. Maybe try contacting the manafacturer of that trailer, and ask them their opinion?  
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    I talked with a company today where my wife picked up the bearings....was reasonable by the way. 100 bucks for all four wheels, including the seal so pleased with that. He said also these trailers typically don't have much adjustment to them, if something is off it is generally caused by the suspension. I will get my bearings done as I clearly see they cause a problem and I have 3 of 4 tires with the same problem so......
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    by the way, sir... NOT using that trailer is one of the hardest things on bearings.  once you get the new ones in, don't let it sit too terribly long and DO allow them to get warm from time to time, even if it means lengthening your route to/from the ramp.  
  • Options
    10 4 @212rowboat , advise taken. Once I get this all straight I will make some longer trips to the coast. We are in prime boating season but the river gets a little low at the ramps....i will get these change out of over the next couple of weekends- all the wheels have a little wobble to them so I'd guess that's my tire issues or at least a pretty good start at it. I'm a good tinker person. I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little. Often just enough to get in trouble. I should have done this first thing when I got it home...
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eh... live and learn, right? ... i'm happy you didn't have an outright axle failure with that pig sitting on top... i see it happen all the time living on a road with a ramp at the end of it on the ICW... getting smaller flats boats on a roll back is interesting enough... i'm thinking you'd be in deep poo if you had the same fate with that 'hoss... again, a third axle isn't that much- like, less than two benj's and another half a beinji for two matching wheels/tires.  
  • Options
    Yep...i will get the boat home am and then do other 3 before it goes back on the road- thanks for all your input @212rowboat