Options

Power Trim Res

elarson5757elarson5757 Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
2007 246CC w/merc 350mag and bIII.  What's the correct power trim fluid and does the reservoir have a fluid level fill mark?  I can't get my big **** down there to see how full it's supposed to be, only that the res is about 1/2 full or less all be it has been from day one of me having the boat. 

Comments

• Options
    Crap just thought of something...I've only ever looked at it with the drive up...I better take a look with the drive down first...lol
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    shawnmjr said:
    @elarson5757 I may be wrong and correct me if I am but I would imagine the trim fluid should be checked with the outdrive in the up position because the cylinders are compressed and if the outdrive is down and you fill resovoir with it down when you go to retract those cylinders they're going to push the fluid out of the cylinder into your resovoir and your Reservoir is probably going to overflow
    Actually when up the cylinders are extended all of the way so they would have the maximum amount of fluid in them.  They are compressed or retracted in the down position. 

I was thinking the same way you are until I went out and actually looked.  I googled it as well to confirm and everything Infpund said check the level with the drive all the way down. 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it maters, drive up or down, there is a lot of fluid in there. Well there should be.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    randy56 said:
    I don't think it maters, drive up or down, there is a lot of fluid in there. Well there should be.
    Randy given its using hydraulic cylinders the position defiantly makes a difference. The cylinders are in the full extended position with the drive ALL the way up so that would be where the cylinders have the maximum fluid in them.  

I just went went to confirm in the driveway and there is about a 1/2" difference in the fluid level from down to up with the high fluid position being at full down of the drive.