Options

Return to slip and Ac shows reverse polarity on shore power.

rulivesrulives Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
My 2000 Rinker FV 330 is showing reverse polarity for the AC while in shore power. Same old slip, read dock boxes, swapped cords, checked breakers at the house panel, still no joy. Read back side of shore power plug, all connections appear good.  At a loss, any help would be greatly appreciated. Out in the middle of Kansas, not a lot of large cruiser technicians around.

Comments

• Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like an error on the AC unit itself.  Someone will answer up.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    If I am not mistaken those polarity lights have diode's in them. Its possible the diode is bad and causing a bad reading.  
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    blutobluto Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Check with a meter or test light.
    wired correctly....
    Hot to neutral  120 v 
    Hot to ground   120 v
    Neutral to ground  0 v
    On a standard 15 amp receptacle ....
    short flat blade = hot
    tall  flat blade = neutral
    neutral and ground are the same potential.
    Hopefully this helps

• Options
    I was assuming that it was ok until now??
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Never assume with electricity. It takes less than a minute to check and be sure.
    You can do this test with the cheap neon lamp testers.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    bluto read his post bro. He said same old slip. That means he was there before and it worked. Nothing changed. Sorry but if anybody is not used to working with electricity the a neon test light is useless. This looks like it was working correctly and now he has a R/P light. He change cords and same problem. Need to check the diode on the light. I have seen this before.....
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    It happens to me every once in a while....I just unplug the cords on the boat and dock box and reconnect and the light returns to green.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    Raybo3, Obviously something has changed. A neon tester in the right hands can be used to troubleshoot this condition. I have been a licensed residential/commercial and industrial electrician and contractor for over 30 yrs. I typically work on 480v  systems and industrial controls. I work with electricity every day. I tried to give rulives some ideas on how to troubleshoot his problem without buying a meter.
    I'm sure with your expert advise his problem will be fixed in no time.

• Options
    Thanks guys, I will see what the readings are. Everything was perfect until returning to me regular slip. Been in it for over month. I will give updates
  • Options
    Bluto I am not trying to question your talents at all so please dont feel that way. I also have been licensed over 35 years also. My point is for rulives to ask a neon light might not be help to him. Yes you and I would be an easy check and fixed. No so much for some one who is not familiar with electricity. BTW I have worked with 13.8, motor controls including PLC's, and now my famous 600VDC trains.....LOL 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rulives, it may not be you or your boat it maybe your power source, older marina's loose termnals, conections,  check your sourse, have marina check it. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Ok, I have read voltage at both ends of my shore power cords, all read correctly. Thanks Bluto, I next swapped the diodes on the shore power and a/c. The shore power then showed reverse polarity. Does this mean a bad diode? Thanks again!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ray, whats ohms law? LOLOLOL
  • Options
    Handy I thought you were taking time off..........LOL 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

Oh man, you guys are killing me.  You know, I've got an EE for almost 30 yrs and a Masters in EE and SE as well.  LOL.  I think I'm over qualified to answer. 

Rulives, sounds like you are well under way to figuring it out.  and yes, it sounds like bad diode.  Easy fix.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Handy what happened to your picture? Jaws is gone, I was tired of looking at it anyway.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    The Jaws pic was for Dream. I could bite his head off sometimes. He is certainly not an advocate of the 1st amendment LOL
  • Options
    Oh man, why am I getting picked on??  You know Handy, we'll be at Spring Cove tomorrow.

• Options
    You were supposed to go to FL to see your Dad. You only have one Dad DI
  • Options
    Wow DI Handy is on you like stink on poop......LOL
  • Options
    Really Ray, Really????!!!!!
  • Options
    LMFAO............
  • Options

I'm sitting at Spring Cove right now with Mai Tail in hand.  Hit Tiki bar last night.  My old man may be coming this August.  We are also planning to see him next spring.

Stink on poop!  Lol.  Good thing I built a filter for that!

• Options
    Drean_Inn you are living the dream! 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Have one for me. All the good mechanics left there too.