Hard Starting After Day Of Being Anchored

2»

Comments

• duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    thanks rowboat. i will be cleaning parts asap. probably won't be able to test until saturday, but i will let you know my results.

all i can say WOW! i'm mad at myself for not cleaning these parts sooner! i have my spark arrester soaking in a bucket of non corrosive degreaser. it was absolutely nasty! as for the bowl of the air intake and aic valve, yeup, just as funky! hopefully this will be my issue. might have to take a fly by on the river one night this week to test it out. 
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is a poor image to use for this comment, but it's the best I could find... even though it's throttle body fuel injection depicted, the principle remains... 

watching just the plunger on the IAC, notice how 'warm engine idle' is more closed?  the engine has a better grip on trim and conditions when the engine is warmer (even after sitting for a while, everything is still primed and the IAC map is still set for a warm/running engine)... it doesn't need as much air.  

this is the reason I commented earlier about turning the key and waiting a second or two... the PCM should take a couple sniffs of sensors and realize what is going on- and if you listen real close while right next to the engine you'll hear the short burst hum of the valve/plunger moving.... that is why turning the key to run but not starting for just a few seconds can mean all the difference.... again, it's because the plunger is in the same position it was in when the engine was last running... it needs to be more open for that BOOM!! (fire right up).... 

now, at the same time, IF- if that passage the plunger manages is even slightly clogged with gunk, you can imagine the engine would be REALLY starved for air, and necessitate manipulation of the throttle plates to compensate... that is really all you're doing when you open the throttle while the engine is cranking- that and dumping fuel you likely don't need that will be expelled through the exhaust in that infamous boat engine rich smell....  

that little valve is pretty important, no?  a cold engine KNOWS it's cold, as the coolant temperature sensor next to the thermostat is a sensor that reports during the built in test (BIT) in the first half second juice hits the PCM... that, along with CPS, CKPS, and TPS... the IAC change of position is a movement dictated by those... if all the other sensors suggest to the PCM that the engine is already warm or even somewhat warm, the IAC is left partially closed, which creates the hard start (but starter turning fast) condition... the hard start (starter struggling) is also often a condition created by downwind of this same situation- when all sensors check out and the PCM feels it can advance timing a bit (advanced engines are harder to turn, as they create that magic burn, which may be only a partial burn, creating high pressures in the combustion chamber/cylinder tops than an engine that doesn't touch of the burn until the piston is closer to the top)... the reason why it happens is the PCM is applying the same logic it was applying when the engine was turned off... it hasn't flushed the short term logic... which is why turning the key on and waiting a few seconds makes a world of difference... 

make sense? 

Yes sir! Thanks rowboat. The air intake bowl and chamber for the iac were pretty funky. Hopefully that will take care of my issue. I will however start turning the key on when I turn my blower on so that the pcm gets good reading before I start and see what that does for me
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rowboat212, that is some very interesting information, thanks for it, do not have any problems, but  I never thought about turning the key on and wait a few seconds for all this to take place. I do allways turn on blower, a few minintes before starting, sometimes forget to turn it off.
    Boat Name : 

• jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    so what was the culprit Rinker 270nb?
  • rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    270nb just needed a tune up, thankfully!  All good now!
  • 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    What all did you do for a tune up?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Plugs and cap, a diagnostic as well.  Fluids were done at summarization.
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good news!
    2008 330EC
  • jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    nice . good news.
    got my first run this weekend after cleaning the IAC and first restart was great! that was it, after that i still had to work the throttle. one thing else i noticed, seems like my idle was higher than normal. looks like i will be replacing the IAC.