Options

Fuel tank removal through the cabin, 2000 Fiesta Vee

13»

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only mid mount tanks it seams has this problem. But if you have to pull the tank to add a bladder you may as well install a new tank
  • Options
    bsylvestbsylvest Member Posts: 2
    Got the mid berth floor opened up - not too bad a job except I'm 6'4" and that space is more suited to a leprechaun.  Also pretty safety conscious so made sure there was no chance of vapors or raw fuel around.  Tank was completely empty and dry but ventilated it for 8 hours anyway with a remote air source via an adapter hooked to the fuel filler elbow. Then cut access panel in the top of tank to determine actual damage/holes.  Now the decision is - tank change or bladder. Most of tank top and baffles will need to be removed in order to go the bladder route.  Any way you attempt it this is a lot of labor but can be done.  And yes - the boat was in salt water with the previous owner so most likely that is the root cause. Also FMT tank company has yet to respond to my multiple emails and calls so they are dead to me.  more to come----
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man your a big guy, that make's me sore thinking about it. I did a search, there are many more places to get tanks. Just finding one that fits.  Here's one. Take some pic's when ya can.
    https://www.wholesalemarine.com/boating-marine/fuel-tanks-systems/permanent-tanks.html
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Take the old tank to a custom tank shop and have them build to the same dimensions using thicker aluminum. Even in Southern California the tank cost me less than a grand.

Anyone thinking of the bladder idea, try explaining you have a failed tank with a rubber bag in it to a prospective buyer when you try to sell the boat. Whatever "savings" you may think you have short term will be wiped out at resale time.

Andy
  • Options
    SeabuttSeabutt Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Getting ready to start a fuel tank removal on 02 27. Thanks for the pictures Seazop. I do industrial fiberglass work. It was very helpful. Winter project starting very soon.
  • Options
    SeabuttSeabutt Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Just joined this site. Bought mine 1 year ago up in DC on the Potomac. Its in been in salt water on the middle chesapeake Bay area

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seabutt said:
    Just joined this site. Bought mine 1 year ago up in DC on the Potomac. Its in been in salt water on the middle chesapeake Bay area

Welcome aboard!!!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum, it was good of @Seazop to take picture's and document for others. It has to be helpful, as you tackle your project,  post your results for others.   
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Kaptain_KenKaptain_Ken Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    Just saw this thread. When I found my 2000 FV 270 last year the tank was being replaced. Here’s some pics of the process and final job. Posting from my phone so they’re posting in reverse order, but you get the idea. Looking forward to seeing yours too!  Good luck!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Kaptain_Ken , I'm having Alloy Metal Works make an aluminum tank for my Austin Healey. Looks like they do nice work.
    2008 330EC