Options

Operation range Volvo-Penta D6

DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
Does anyone know what would be a safe RPM to run at for and extended run of say 3-4 hours.  I've been told that diesels like to run hard ....but then I've also heard that running them at the top of the rpm range is not good.   I get about 27 mph out of 3050 RPMs, but the other boats I'll be running with are faster. I'm not so sure I want to wring out my engines just to try and keep up.  I'm pretty sure I am ALL DONE at about 3400 RPMs.

Comments

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    This is a question for Handy. I am sure he will chime in.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    @Handymans342 right up his alley! or @Alswagg

Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Thanks Al !!!!!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would defer to a Volvo diesel mechanic but I ran my Yanmars at 3400 rpm for 5 hours straight.
  • Options
    I have worked on a lot of diesel generators of which most ran at 1800 rpm, some for days. I also had a Detroit generator that ran at 3400 rpm for days as well. That is the limit as controlled by the governor.
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if that thing is a turbo diesel, make certain and have quality oil with a high flash point running through it... I'm a big fan of Archoil 9100 as an additive.  I've noticed substantial decrease in temperature at the turbo seal and bearing since I started using it in Schaeffer's Supreme 9000 5w40.   the two chemical make-ups compliment each other.  If you produce substantial ash (oil turns black quickly), consider an amsoil bypass filter... I've tripled my oil change interval by installing one, and that is according to analysis from blackstone labs...

in my experience, running diesel's hard over an extended period of time is all about the oil... monitoring the oil temperature and weight is a big deal... keeping it between 195 and 210* just past the filter (after sump) is best... the Schaeffer's can hit 270* as many times as you want and suffer no ills, where many others need to be replaced after one 260* tag... Schaeffer's and Amsoil HD are the only two that don't break down until after 300*... flash point on both are well north of 430*- which is important not as much for the engine as it is for the turbo, where those temps can be achieved and then the flow stopped when the engine stops- it burns in an o2-less burn, and cokes on the bearing shaft, leaving that hard black film that just plain doesn't come off- and ultimately works it's way between shafts and seals, and compromises the seal.... you REALLY don't want that to happen... a compromised (leaking) seal at the turbo shaft allows oil to be sucked up and pumped into the intake, and poof- you have a run away diesel.... that is some dangerous stuff right there.

if you consider following the advice in the first paragraph here, you've lowered your odds dramatically of having that happen, as well as extending the life of that engine- and with the lubrication that combo oil+additive provides, you can hit the governor and hold it there indefinitely, so long as you monitor your oil, cooling, and exhaust temperatures, making sure they are in a sustainable range.  
  • Options
    Thank you for all of your help.  It's great to get these perspectives !!  
  • Options
    lionelzlionelz Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    I have a yanmar stzp 240 hp my wot is 3300 I always run mine at 3000rpm.  Recommendation is 10% below wot.  Don't forget WOT may change through load, dirty bottom etc, so should drop of by 10% on whatever you WOT is at the current running conditions.
  • Options
    Lionelz, did you ever check your throttle cable to see if the injector pump is wide open??????? Mine wasnt. 
  • Options
    Lionelz, did you ever check your throttle cable to see if the injector pump is wide open??????? Mine wasnt. 
    No never done that, 3300 is the rated RPM.   I always get that as my boat is on a dry stack.  Have to say me and engines don't go together if I had an issue like lack of revs I would call an engineer for that
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I took mine to a Yanmar dealer. He said he wanted to see 3700 RPM at WOT in neutral. Never made it past 3200. My cables were too short. They can do 3700 at WOT in neutral but not under load. Also we used an engine RPM meter and not the dash gauges!
  • Options
    212, my Yanmars have oil coolers. Im sure Dirty has them on the Volvo D6 as well
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i hear ya handy.... the ticket is not to heat the oil beyond the coolers capacity to remove heat from... around 200 is awesome, below 185 is a recipe for sludge... above 230 is okay for spurts, above 250 is never good and should trigger an oil change as soon as you can. 
  • Options
    I took mine to a Yanmar dealer. He said he wanted to see 3700 RPM at WOT in neutral. Never made it past 3200. My cables were too short. They can do 3700 at WOT in neutral but not under load. Also we used an engine RPM meter and not the dash gauges!
    Ah okay sorry not done it out of gear sorry,  hope to get on boat this weekend if the weather in the UK gets better.  
  • Options
    My throttle cables were too short from the factory. I think this is an issue in every Rinker with Yanmars. 
  • Options
    Just came back from Georgetown Yacht Basin.  My trip down, I was running with a Formula 310 ...he was pushing me to run faster, so I bumped it up to 30mph at  3400 RPMs.  There was a little more, but I kept it there for a while and saw about 33 GPH fuel burn, so I backed it down a bit.  It ran well at that speed and with full trim tabs, the extra speed brought my bow down a little more. At 27mph I was running at 3080 RPMs and burning 29 GPH.  All in all a great trip, going to try to get to Still Pond next week. But work may interfere with that.  
  • Options
    would be happy with that fuel burn with your boat.
  • Options
    @Dirtythirty just wondering why your running with "full trim tabs"? I assume you mean tabs where down. IMO once on plane you raise your tabs to allow more boat out of the water. You would go faster with less fuel burn (less drag in the water)...... Just say'n.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    @raybo3   if I move my tabs into an up position my bow is pointing at the sky
  • Options
    Even on plane???? Something does not sound right...........
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the 420  that heavy, you have to keep tabs down all the time?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

Hmmm, I know the 420s are definitely heavy, probably even more so with the diesels and pod drive setup.  My neighbor has the 420 (not your setup though) and he has to keep more speed to keep the nose down.  But with his gas engines, he can go a bit faster.  I know on my boat it says to make sure tabs are up while on plane or you may damage or tear them off.

Dirty, hoping you do make it to Still Pond next weekend!  Many of us are excited to see that beautiful boat and meet you.  You had me laughing when you said 33gph!  LOL!  I'd love to see that with my boat!  I'll see anywhere from 40-50gph, of course going a little faster, but not enough to make that much fuel difference. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Yeah something does not seem right. I dont think you can trim PODS like outdrives so that may make the bow ride higher. 
  • Options
    Al, would some trim tabs help mine as well?  I feel like I burn a lot of fuel, but going under 30mph just shows worse on my fuel flow.  Maybe a bit of trim tab (after drive trim) would help?  What type of fuel burn should I have with a 400 with B-IIs?  I typically see 0.7mpg and good days 0.8mpg (& with current and dolphins pushing, 0.9mpg)

• Options
    Thanks Al.  I will definitely try a slight down tab and maybe can slow my speed down a little.  I am burning a bit much fuel for sure.  Even if I could get a 0.8mpg consistently would really be nice.

• Options
    Dream crying about fuel? LOL
  • Options
    Handy, I figured you'd get a kick out of it.  I'll say, I don't mind burning it though, but I'd like to see if I'm missing the sweet spot just a little or trimming incorrectly.  I've always been worried putting too much trim tabs down, but it sounds like it may help with a slower speed (when I say slower speed, it'd be about your max speed - LOL!)

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    If the boat requires a lot of trim tab to run efficiently, you have a problem with balance.  

Consider moving weight toward the bow.  Look for something heavy that is stored in the transom locker, such as power cords, that you can store under the V-berth.  Also consider adding more chain to the anchor rode.  I did both of those, and it improved my fuel consumption and time-to-plane.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ Dream your story about the fire on your boat. how long ago was that?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    If the boat requires a lot of trim tab to run efficiently, you have a problem with balance.  

Consider moving weight toward the bow.  Look for something heavy that is stored in the transom locker, such as power cords, that you can store under the V-berth.  Also consider adding more chain to the anchor rode.  I did both of those, and it improved my fuel consumption and time-to-plane.
    I put the 50 lbs or so of tools that I carry in the forward compartment under the V berth for this very reason.  I have been thinking about how to move the batteries up there somewhere.   Moving 100 lbs in batteries 20 feet forward should have the same weight distribution effect of moving 2 engines forward almost a foot. Should it not?