Comments

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    I have been in the water since mid March so 4 months 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    When I used to keep my boat in the water I would just take an old rag and get in a shallow area and use it clean the barnacles off the drives.  Never really had any on the hull, but the drives always did.  This year seems pretty bad for some reason.  Makes me happy I'm on a lift.  It was strange that after 17 days or so in the water, I had to wipe off my bottom and drives as well.  Made me question my bottom paint as well, but never had the issue before.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Last year I was in water from Mid August to end of November and had no where near the amount of barnacles as I do now.  I am questioning my Trilux drive paint
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Besides spark plugs, wires, filters, what are other good things to do at tune up?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Cap, rotor , pvc valve, IAC filter,
  • Options
    I have not done tune up yet but another question before I do.  I was out last weekend and I could not get boat to go above 4500 RPMS and topped out at 27 mph.  What would cause this?  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bottom clean? That will definitely slow you down. Also check your prop for growth on it.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016

IMO, great comments from everyone, may I add:

Anodes: Zinc=salt, Aluminum=brackish (combo -salt/fresh/chemicals like corrosives), Magnesium=fresh water. *****Magnesium anodes will disappear like a David Copperfield trick if in salt or even brackish water for any length of time! 

Other: your boat's galvanic isolator is malfunctioning, your Mercathode is malfunctioning, nearby boat(s) are dangerously leaking power, your marina's electrical is bad.

If you don't have the wrong metallic make-up of anodes on your boat, then it is being subjected to hellacious electrical onslaught wherever you keep it - if those anodes are only 2 months old!

The kind of barnacle/sludge growth you still show is an enormous power robber.

Also, I would be paranoid about checking my raw water inlets for everything but particularly for my engine as the engine will already be under stress but if it's water flow is also restricted you can face serious overheating issues.

Geez , I guess I should have been more thankful for the water quality where I boated......No wonder my Ocean LEDs were so bright. My boat was moored in 7 feet of water and I could see the bottom clearly. If I dropped a ratchet socket in I could see it.

• Options
    Anodes have been on since March.  They look bad but its mostly just covered with fouling.  Im going to double check them in a couple weeks.  Ill post pictures with them cleaned off.  I believe the galvanic and Mercathode are working as drive looks great with no pitting or corrosion that I could see.

I cleaned 75% of fouling off two weeks ago by hand, doing a short haul in a few weeks to completely clear it.  When I did clean it greatly improved but still had RPM issue.  Those pictures are prior to cleaning.  

Ran for about an hour last weekend and temp was right on.  

Water isnt the clearest but the Chesapeake and its tributaries are one he$$ of place to boat.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options

Patrick, it still wouldn't surprise me if it was the fouling left on your boat that is slowing you down.  It is amazing how little it really takes. 

I agree that the water isn't the cleanest (although not too shabby in the northern parts - which we'll be spending 10 days real soon), but one just can't compete with what the Chesapeake has to offer for boaters!  Almost 12,000 miles of shoreline, but yet only 200 miles from top to bottom and 3-30 miles wide, allowing you to go almost anywhere by boat in a day.  Average depth is around 20 feet and mix from fresh water at top to salt at the bottom really allows many different sea creatures.  I think in time the water will continue getting better.  Over the 17 years I've been boating on it, it has shown some improvement.  But, you can definitely notice when you are close to Baltimore. 

• Options
    I will report back after a thorough cleaning in a few weeks.  I wonder if I should just rent a power washer and do it myself on the lift.  John, see anyone do that at your marina with all those lifts?  Thinking out loud.  

@Dream_Inn although I love my little river beach town the more I see the bay the more I want to be apart of it.  Already pricing out 310s or 320s.  Admiral and I are either thinking of moving to Annapolis in the near future or getting a weekend house somewhere close.  Cant get her out of the darn city just yet.  Where are you going for your 10 day trip?  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please dont tell me you live on the Hill or Dupont Circle. LOL
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    haha I dont, thats a little too much busy city for me.  NE, Brookeland neighborhood. 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options

Patrick, I have definitely seen people pressure wash on the lift, wax on the lift, just about anything.  I have a nice raft float that allows me to wax or maintain what I need to right at the lift.

The Annapolis area is definitely a good spot.  Being 5 minutes from the bay, it's nice to just hop in and go to a restaurant over in St. Michael's or Kent island for the day.  Or up for an Annapolis cruise.  Your boat should just be your weekend house....just need to place it where you want it. 

We anchor out for the Pirates & Wenches (Rock Hall) on the 11th (Thursday) thru Sunday - 14th, then heading North.  We'll end up in a marina on the Bohemia mid-week for 2 nights and anchor before and after along the way.  Probably spend the last 2 nights in Sailing Emporium back in Rock Hall.  We enjoy that place!

• Options
    Good that is exactly what I am going to do.  Save me some $$ on the short haul.  

By raft float, you mean an inflatable? Kayak is a poor way to do it, I need something better.

Sounds like a great trip.  Have fun and safe travels.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Actually, the raft is fiberglass.  It's made by accudock (http://www.accudock.com/floating-work-platforms/).  Works quite nice, but is heavy.  I had a few people on my dock go in on it with me, so then the price wasn't bad.  In short term, borrow someone's dinghy.  That's a bit better than a kayak!  LOL!

• Options
    Dang thats what I need!  Theres a right way and a wrong way to do things, thats the right way haha.  Very cool.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I was not happy with trilux. Try some Pacifica Plus and brush it on. You will have much less fouling. My biggest challenge is keeping my darn swim lights clean. They foul up every few weeks. 
    As for those barnacles I get them all over my props. the Works toilet bowl cleaner works really well at loosening their grip and dissolving their remnants. That and a green scotch brite pad. When in water they usually come right off with the pad. Just wear gloves. 
    Good luck. 

Time to get some sleep. We depart for our 10 day trip bright and early.  Looking forward to some calm morning seas.