Options

Fresh Water Cooling

BayrunnerBayrunner Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
I would like to install a fresh water cooling unit on my motors - Mercruiser 5.0 MPI 260HP. Is this something I can do myself or leave it tot the pro's. Which is one of the best system to buy and where.
Bayrunner -- FV312 - Simple Pleasure

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lot of work and a lot of parts. 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Why would you want to add a heat exchanger? Like Handy said it would be a lot of work and (I know I am going to start a war over this....lol) there are pro's and con's. If my boat did not have them I would not add them. I have had both FWC and raw water cooled and never found a difference. The con's IMO are they take up more space. Its another thing you have to maintain (clean the inside of them. Not to big of a deal but.......) and the cost of buying it and the parts to install for very little pay back............ IMO. Good luck and keep us posted..
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    Interesting point of view raybo3. As I search off and on for another boat, I have pretty much discounted raw water cooling considerations but perhaps I should not. I always had the impression of greater longevity with a closed system.  -Paul
  • Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    Isn't where you boat a big consideration?  That is,  wouldn't someone in salt water realize a greater benefit from FWC than someone in fresh water?
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MDboater said:
    Isn't where you boat a big consideration?  That is,  wouldn't someone in salt water realize a greater benefit from FWC than someone in fresh water?
    Yes, I would think it would be great for salt water. Really no need if you boat in fresh water. When I look to upgrade I would like to have fresh water cooled engines.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    My considerations were for primarily boating in salt water.
  • Options
    I boat in salt water and there are many boats that are raw water cooled. If you have a concern about salt water just flush the engines with a shore water hose. Think about has anyone really heard of an engine block rotting out because of salt water??? Just say'n.......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    majomamajoma Member Posts: 19
    If you are in salt water and have raw water cooling, salt deposits will ruin your engines in no time. It has been proven many times.
  • Options
    Not true I had an 1984 Carver with raw water cooled and that boat is still running today with the same engines. Like anything some preventive maintenance goes a long way.  
  • Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    I have seen the salt water wear out the the heads and guides pretty bad where as a fwc block would have been fine. Keep in mind too FWC engines are just for the block. The risers and manifolds still get salt water. It just saves the block.