Options

BRAVO 3 LOW LUBE ALARM

jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
After putting my 2000 Bravo 3 outdrive on and off several times during the week, I leaked out enough lube to drop the level in the resivoir so the alarm (steady ringing) went off when I went to plane off. I filled the lube back up, but the alarm continues to sound. I have oil pressure (40lbs at idle) and the engine is cold. I disconnected one lead to the sensor, but the alarm still sounds. Should I jump the 2 wires to see if it quiets the alarm there by confirming a bad sensor, or could this damage something? 

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might try draining and cleaning out the outdrive reservoir. The oil will get cruddy from sitting and might hang up the float in there. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Believe it or not make sure the res cap in on correctly. That could sound the alarm also. Ask me how I know..........LOL Not sure about the wires......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Actually, you'll want to disconnect one of the wires.  Alarm should go off.  But I agree with posts above as well.  Clean it out and make sure the cap is on ok.  Oh, and that little seal in the top of the cap is ok as well.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    In theory
    not sure if they use normally open or closed switches 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    well, I've had the issue and it is normally open.  So, the alarm goes off when the float makes contact. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Then it would been something else is wrong since one wire is off and alarm still present 
  • Options
    From what I read, the steady alarm sounds means 1 of three things, low oil pressure, high coolant temp, or low outdrive lube. Since I have good oil pressure, and low coolant temp, I am assuming it is the low outdrive alarm. Will try jumping the 2 wires going to the sensor and see what happens tomorrow.
  • Options
    I discovered that there is a delay in the alarm system. When I disconnected the low lube sensor, the alarm kept sounding for about 20 seconds, then quit. As soon as I plug in the sensor, the alarm sounds right away. Same thing if I connect the 2 sensor wires together, the alarm sounds then when disconnected, the alarm continues to sound for about 20 seconds, then stops. Circut is normally open, and closes when the sensor is low. Will try to clean, or replace. Thanks for the tips.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dump out the oil from the reservoir. You can rinse it with mineral spirits or brake cleaner. Bet you will find it full of sludge making the float stick. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    I agree with BD when it comes to the tank.   My oil was like sludge in the bottom of tank.   I turned upside down over a bucket and sprayed with brake clean using the red tube on the nozzle.  Then GENTLY  wiped out with a paper towel.  You have to be careful not to knock the white float off the post inside tank. If you just installed outdrive you are probably bleeding the line of air and adding lube at first is typical. I couldn't believe the amount of sludge i had. 
  • Options
    I cleaned my tanks this spring 
    full of sludge 
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, it makes sense once the float bottoms out it gets stuck in the sludge. 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Be very careful when working around the float. It travels up and down an SS pin. Most of the floats are held on with an SS "e" clip that can come off fairly easily. If this happens you will not be able to get it back on and have to buy a new reservoir. I have cleaned a dozen reservoirs. I do not use any solvents to do so. I do not want any future contamination. I use a meat baster to suck-up the gear lube in the reservoir - I used to use a small pump but it was just too much wasted time and clean-up. Then I wrap a lint-free, shop cloth around a screw driver to wipe-up the remainder. Only once did I encounter gear lube that was too thick to do this and I used a hair dryer (carefully) to heat the lube then remove with the meat baster and shop cloths. I did knock an "e" clip off once and had to buy a new reservoir.
  • Options
    Thanks Michael T, I'll give it a try.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jhofmann said:
    I discovered that there is a delay in the alarm system. When I disconnected the low lube sensor, the alarm kept sounding for about 20 seconds, then quit. As soon as I plug in the sensor, the alarm sounds right away. Same thing if I connect the 2 sensor wires together, the alarm sounds then when disconnected, the alarm continues to sound for about 20 seconds, then stops. Circut is normally open, and closes when the sensor is low. Will try to clean, or replace. Thanks for the tips.
    Interesting. I am having this exact problem. I even bought an entire new piece. Couldn't figure out why it was still going off with the sensor wires unplugged, engine oil pressure showing fine and water temp being low. 

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disconnect the other sensors until you find the one is sounding..oil and temp?
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    Disconnect the other sensors until you find the one is sounding..oil and temp?
    So oil and temp are reporting normal values. And at the same time VVM is reporting low gear lube. Had it come and go twice while motoring through the channel. Throttled up, it stopped about 10 seconds later and didn't hear it the rest of the day. 

No clue what the deal is. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Air bubble?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Sensor for gear lube then?
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    Sensor for gear lube then?
    replaced bottle with a new one, sensor is brand new.. the alarm came and went at the exact same throttle position once today.. 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does your system have a flow sensor?   
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'm glad we could rule that one out easily.  
  • Options
    I would check than harness connection...maybe there is a fair safe if it does not make the connection it sounds? Float stuck?
  • Options
    from what others say, if you unplug the wires, it "cannot" sound the alarm.. 

I think I tried this before and it still went off, but will re-verify this on Saturday...

Assuming that it's still going off when wires disconnected.. where does that leave us?

• Options
    I would guess that if it still goes off it's not communicating and that would kind of prove there's something wrong with the sensor in the bottle
  • Options
    Well. Wires are disconnected. People are saying there's no way it should be going off.

I dont know what to think. 
  • Options
    welp, after diggingfor an hour, I'm going to cut the wires to the buzzer.. have friends coming out today. How annoying. 
  • Options
    didnt have to cut the wires, it's a purple wire that comes off of the ignition switch.. just unplugged it. Oddly enough I turned the key to the running position, it alerted that it cant sound the horn in VVM. Turned the key off. Reconnected, it then wouldn't do the alert for the next 15 mins. 

I let it sit for a while, came back, turned the key to the run position and sure enough here was the alarm again. 

I also put some foam tape over the hole for the sound and then electrical taped around that. It's still loud enough to hear but not so much so that you'll lose your hearing. 

For today it's disconnected. 

I dont know what else it could be aside from corrosion or a bad ECU? 

To date I have:
    - disconnected the wires from the lube sensor, everyone says this should stop the alarm, it did not.

- replaced the entire resi. with a new one, sensor, and wires, still happening.

- I've looked for broken wires, reseated the main connectors, looked for a bad fuse...

Boat starts and runs fine.