Winter Storage Covers

124»

Comments

• SimcoeRinker400SimcoeRinker400 Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    Hi @coverguy2 sent you an email for my Rinker 400.  I think its time for a real cover :wink:
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
    2023 Seadoo Spark Trixx x 2
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Hi @coverguy2 sent you an email for my Rinker 400.  I think its time for a real cover :wink:
    I have the same boat as you.  My cover is working on it's 11th winter and is still like brand new.  It's made out of stamoid light material.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The light material is the only way to go. My next cover will be made out of that instead of duck canvas 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    The light material is the only way to go. My next cover will be made out of that instead of duck canvas 
    Agreed. The canvas is too heavy and not slippery enough to shed snow. In freeze/thaw cycles the canvas gets covered in ice and extremely heavy. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • coverguycoverguy Member Posts: 122 ✭✭
    Sorry guys, I am here again. Oh boy, way to long. 

Darren Fitzgerald
    darren@pmwinterboatcovers.com
    856-857-7475
    PM Winter Boat Covers
    www.pmwinterboatcovers.com
    OEM Rinker Canvas
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    What does everyone use for supports under your covers?  I have wrestled with a few designs.  Everything from 1x2's to 1"PVC to just rope and poles.  My PVC experiment was a failure as it was too brittle and didn't last through some storms.  I ended up with some tears i have to get repaired.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
    I've seen lots of things done over the years and a lot of them just didn't work.  You have to make a decent frame, not something that can't hold the weight.  My framework is the original from 2012 and has held up thru some decent snowstorms.  1" PVC isn't going to cut it.  I use 2" PVC down the center and 1.5" off of it to the rails.  You also need good support for the main backbone.  Again, build it once to last, and it will.  After the first time, it goes up very quickly. I also have small hand towels that I cover "T" that meets the rails, so there is nothing rough to tear the cover.  Here are a few pics of my cover that I used from 2006 to 2012 (my 310).  I'll have to see if I have any pics of the framework for my current cover.  So, I used 1" PVC off to the rails on my old boat, but the 400 has 1.5" inch which is much better.

I made my frame out of 2x4s, similar design to @Dream_Inn. We get a lot of snow here and even with a doubled up 2x4 ridge beam it still snapped. This happened because snow accumulated on the cover at the bow rails and then freeze/thaw cycles turned that snow to heavy ice. 

If you get a lot of snow I don’t think 2” PVC will work, especially with the low rise of a Fisher cover. 
    I use 2” pvc as well on my frame. I have had zero issues with it over the years. If we get a heavy snow, I head to the boat and brush as much off as possible. 

Go Steelers!!!
    I agree with Greg.  I'll get to the boat after a large snow storm to try to brush it off (or get underneath and shake it off).  For those that don't think we get much snow, we did one year where it dumped over 20 inches twice within a week (I know, it's nothing compared to what you get up there on Georgian Bay).  The canvas I have now, it is almost always completely clean after a snow storm.  The slick "vinyl" type feel the stamoid light has doesn't allow the snow to stick on it very well.  The navy color also helps it stay warm the instant the sun comes out too.
    I'll be creating something in the next month or so for my son's smaller 20' grady white.  If anyone has some neat ideas for that, I'd love to see it.  I'm thinking maybe a center pole out of PVC and then have 4 lines off it to each of the 4 corners.  I'd like to keep the weight off the windshield.

edited September 2022
    There’s a company up here called Genco that dominates the winter cover business. Their design has the ridge beam well above the arch/hardtop and it stays high bow to stern. They shed snow like a champ. 

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Similar to the Navigloo system I used for years.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    @YYZRC That makes perfect sense.  It will definitely keep it from getting stuck at the bow rails. 
    @Willhound I do like the looks of that, but I think I want something much simpler.  Although that does allow easy to work under.  But, this boat stays in my driveway and much easier to keep track of anything sitting on the cover.

• davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    The other thing i do is that i have a dozen sandbags that look like canvas saddlebags that i hang around the bottom of the cover.  The weight on the sides helps to keep anything but ice from sticking.  The issue i have had is that with the frame any movement would snap connections...then the sharp edges become canvas destroyers.  I agree to plan for the weight down.  Don't forget about lifting up also.  Wind or rain storms will get under the cover and just keep shaking it up and down.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
    davidbrooks said:
    The issue i have had is that with the frame any movement would snap connections...then the sharp edges become canvas destroyers.  I agree to plan for the weight down.  Don't forget about lifting up also.  Wind or rain storms will get under the cover and just keep shaking it up and down.
    I wrap all of my connections with microfiber cloths and duct tape. That protects the canvas from any sharp edges. 
    Go Steelers!!!
    I use 2” pvc as well on my frame. I have had zero issues with it over the years. If we get a heavy snow, I head to the boat and brush as much off as possible. 

OT but really strange how Rinker did the non-skid there.
  • SimcoeRinker400SimcoeRinker400 Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn Where did your cover come from???
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
    2023 Seadoo Spark Trixx x 2
    @Dream_Inn Where did your cover come from???
    I got from a guy in NJ.  He made two of them and then said never again.  He said it was just too big and a lot of work.