Options

Have you re-powered? What was the total cost and what did you do?

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
Have a 350, thinking about a 383.. 

If you guys don't mind what was your total cost and what part of the country are you from?  Want to make sure I get a  competitive rate. 

Comments

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I repowered Salt Shaker a couple of years back or so.  But I am not where I have access to the figures at the moment.  The repower was because I was already replacing the crummy outdrives that came with the boat.  All for the better.  Newer better engines and for sure better outdrives.  I stayed with the 5.7 liter blocks but with OceanX drives.  My boat yard that does such things is in Palmetto, FL on the Snead Island Cut.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why don't you get several bids? You could also buy a motor and have it delivered to the boat yard. You could tow the boat a long way from where you live to get a better price, right? I would get a lot of prices and do a lot of homework on several options. 
  • Options
    16000 for a new 8.1. Not bad
  • Options
    Will do - it appears the going rate is around 12,000 for a 383 installed. Will see what the local places here come back with. 
  • Options
    I admit that this thread got me wondering what if I repowered and at what cost and benefits would I see as a lot of us have either done or wondered about. So i have done a lot of research and probably most of you on here could give a crap. Now I am very interested and wondered what if I installed 2 of the new Mercury 4.2L diesels that spin at 4300 rpm and was recently tested in a 37 foot boat which went 55 mph but they cost 43000 each. Wow. Now my motors have a fairly decent value for resale but I just can't justify the cost or the increased speed and fuel usage so I degrees. LOL
  • Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    40K each is a ton of money, but bottom line is still cheaper than a new boat!!! 
  • Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    When you say repower, are you motor's just reaching a wear point due to high hours?  A full engine is about double the cost of what the long block cost.  I bought a new long block for $3,500 which is the full motor minus the bolt on stuff.  If I needed to replace all of it i would have spent double, I considered going to 383's as well, but for the minimal power gain over the 350 mag I couldn't justify the cost in addition to the need to replace my other good motor.
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    I dropped a new 383 stroker, cost $13k installed.  A whole new boat. My 350 was tired and underpowered.  
  • Options
    ItzkenItzken Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    I'm thinking about upping my 320EC from 5.0 GXI to 5.7 long blocks.   Use the same intakes and fuel injection.  Wondering if the engine control modules can be reflashed, or need two new ones?   What about the DP stainless prop pitch?  Does the 350 have enough extra torque to spin a bigger pitch prop at lower RPM?  

Reman 350 long blocks are in the $2300 range.  Swap out the intake, accessory drives, oil pans and valve covers with gaskets and such would add about $400 each engine.  R&R somewhere around $800 each side, depending on the boat.  New engine controllers could add $2000 unless they can be flashed.  New DP props maybe another $3000?  Sounds like $12,000 minus whatever I could get for the 5.0 long blocks used.  

270hp vs 320hp.   Is there enough to gain here worth the $12,000?

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Re: the gain for 12k  - what I would consider is how long I was going to keep the boat, re-sale value and the torgue difference. I always go for the stronger engines but that's a personal preference. While going through all of that trouble and expense,  I'd want some FUN at the end.
  • Options
    I dropped a new 383 stroker, cost $13k installed.  A whole new boat. My 350 was tired and underpowered.  
    I'm being quoted 15250.. that's 3000 in labor (30 hours) and 600 for a riser ? Also says it only comes with a 1 year warranty.

This is for the fresh water cooled 383
  • Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    I'm being quoted 15250.. that's 3000 in labor (30 hours) and 600 for a riser ? Also says it only comes with a 1 year warranty.

This is for the fresh water cooled 383
    Is that for a 320 HP or 350 HP 383 motor?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Mine was about 390 HP. Your final HP will depend on what you put into it. We had the last one up to 400HP on the dyno but it was too twitchy at idle so we dialed it back to about 390. I don't know what the commercial units turn  but I would think one with 350 HP would have a decent torque curve. A decent 377 (6.2L) should turn 320 HP......so I would expect a clean 350 (or more) from a decent 383.
  • Options
    At almost 16k for a 383 FWC replacement I think that's a little out of my ball park, especially after just floating 22k for the boat 2 weeks ago. 

I can get the 383 not fresh water cooled for 13654.. that's a little bit easier to swallow. 

The third option is to just replace it with a regular 350, anyone know what those go for? 
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

http://www.michiganmotorz.com/vortec-marine-engine-1996-current-p-68.html

prob get a reman stroker from them too, just get ecm flashed

2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are reputable dealers who will outfit you with a good solid build 383 or 377 (stroked but not bored) for well under $10k... if you wait until winter to do the swap you'll find boat certified mechanics a lot more pliable while negotiating a price to drop it in... 

for $13k, and with an alpha- you should be able to get a spanking new (SEI) outdrive along with the engine.  it's just a matter of looking around.  

what is your boat?  what kind of facility are you going to need to swap?  I built a gantry and put a winch on it- 16' high and 14' wide... I repowered and slapped a new SEI A1G2 for a total of about $5k... 

if you're already set up with a SBC (you are) it's a matter of pulling and replacing... 

pull drive... pull shift plate and throttle cable... pull battery leads... pull main harness... pull fuel lines... pull two bolts (transom plate) and two buts (engine mounts)- yank that rascal out of there... there is no reason the engine can't be pulled in less than an hour... it isn't hard at all with the right facility.  

drop the new engine in... if you're dressing a long block, do it with the engine on a stand(s).... 

now this will be controversial... but... if you currently have MPI, you can either send the PCM off for flash, or, you can use a calculator and install bigger injectors... the difference will only be a pound or two tops- or, if you like cc's per hour better- the difference between 235cc and 260cc or so... and the kicker is you may need to do both (flash+injectors) anyway.  

You can do this with a reputable engine for under $10k if you slow down and miss the fall pull outs. 
  • Options
    rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    My 383 has a 3 yr warranty. I bought it through my marina from Merc, It's listed as a remanufactured engine from Merc- parts and labor on warranty. 30 hrs?!  My Merc approved shop charged me $600 in labor.  Crate arrived on Tuesday, I was on the water Friday.  

I got a great deal on my 99 270 back in '08, buyers market.  My rationale was to put a $13K engine in it as an upgrade opposed to drop $75K on a used boat that would depreciate and have mysteries, eg bellows, transom leaks, etc.

• Options
    Autodog61Autodog61 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭

I am in the Northwest.  You didn't say what type of boat you would do this too so likely more info here than you need.  Just some considerations I ran into.  I did a twin engine re-power on a Pachanga in 2012.  replaced twin 350 mags and gen I Aplha drives.  I got bobtails (both engine and outdrive) with Mercury Marine 357 4V Alpha's (275 HP) and gen II Alpha II outdrives.  Went from both right hand to counter rotating props.  I had the dealer do it.  Labor was actually not bad.  Took them forever though and as others noted, I did in summer and might have save a bit had I done it through the winter.  My cost installed $34K. 3K was labor.  I did extras like steering/exhaust, risers, so my guess would be 8-10K for a single 357 4V installed using existing drive and not a lot of "other stuff" with the swap.  15K for bobtail.

Considerations -

Exhaust -I had to pay an additional 3K for a custom stainless exhaust collector because the old 350 mag risers were spaced (2-4 inches?) different that the new mercury marine 4V alpha motor.

Steering - Consider switching from Cable to hydraulic steering especially if you up the HP and run in the 60s or above.  

Drives - What are the gearings of the current outdrive(s)?  If you go up to a 383 how will the current outdrive handle the power and how will the performance be affected? Can the current outdrive handle 330 HP? 

Warranty - Going through a certified Mercury Marine dealer/shop will get you at least a 2 year warranty.  Mercury Marine was running a special back when I did it and I go an additional year of warranty for a total of 3 years.  BTW - Who ever does it, take lots of pictures before it goes in.  Even good mechanics 'break' things they may not always tell you about.  In my case, several things.  Also, discuss up front the follow-on wringing out the bugs after then install.  Get a commitment they'll cover this under existing cost.

extras - Plan 10-20% more that you expect because they're going to find other things wrong as in my case, the exhaust collector problem. 

The Mercury Marine 357 4V or the 383 Scorpion are great engines.  The 383 is "mostly" a direct fit for a 5.7L or even a 454 and puts out same or more horsepower.  There are LOTs of things to be wary of when you do this kind of thing.  The more research you do, the better decisions you'll make. 

Holy Smokes, don't forget the bilge plug!
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    have they figured out what is wrong with your motor ?
    block cracked etc ? 
  • Options
    SeaHareSeaHare Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Jeez, RapidoMarine has 350 vortec long blocks delivered to your door for $2k. No core charge and 1 yr warantee... swap your tins and toss it in the boat....$3k max.... they also have 6.2 long blocks for $3350 delivered... this would be the route that i personally would go (350)...
    01 FV 310, 5.7s carbed, B3s
  • Options
    trip_n said:
    have they figured out what is wrong with your motor ?
    block cracked etc ? 
    Not yet. They might take it apart for free and let me know. At this point the thing barely turns over with a new starter on it. 

So the final verdit on this is they hope to have it done by next Friday. 

Total cost is going to be 15,532.

That's the 383 stroker with freshwater cooling + a 600 dollar new riser.  I've heard the motors are supposed to come with these, but my mechanic says they dont and when I called mercury they also said they dont.. so oh well .

It's pretty pricey, but the guy went an picked the boat up, hauled it to his place and is trying to get it done the week before labor day. The estimate is 30 hours of labor, we chatted about that and he's hoping it's no more then 25. We'll see how it goes. 

So I guess I now own an almost 40,000 fiesta vee 270.   hah!
  • Options
    Yeah, but it will go like s bat on fire!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will be a great improvement over the current engine. 25-30 hours of labor seems high. I replaced my engine in my 232cc a few years ago and it took 2 days with 2 of us working on it, using a fork truck to remove and replace the engine. I changed mine with a long block, so we had to swap everything.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I think Mercruiser warranty pays a maximum of 8 hours for an engine R&R but that wouldn't include any modifications.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff, I'm getting close to 40k in mine too, ordered $1500 in parts this week. and I'm not done yet. Agree with cable on the hours. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    thinking a new name======HORROR STORY or Well spent or CCCLXXXIII 
    opppps gotta go my wife says i cant play anymore.

• Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing it done Jeff. Still kinda surprised about the whole riser thing. They supposedly include em all but if mercruiser says no then i guess not. 
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    jmichels said:
    Looking forward to seeing it done Jeff. Still kinda surprised about the whole riser thing. They supposedly include em all but if mercruiser says no then i guess not. 
    Can anyone who has specifically re-powered with the 383 tell me if it came with Risers??? 

ALL sources on various sites on the net say it does. Why is my mechanic saying it doesn't and why would two different merc customer service reps say it doesn't. I don't get it. 

Here are the part numbers right off my invoice:

1. Engine - part # 8M0109404 @ 11,650 
    http://www.mercruiserparts.com/mercury-mercruiser-genuine-factory-oem

2. Risers -  part # 864929A2 @ $600.00
    http://www.mercruiserparts.com/864929a2-kit-3-riser

More specifically, here is what I think (not 100%sure) a FWC 383 looks like, I don't see where the 3 inch riser goes that isn't already included. 

http://www.proboats.com/new_galleria.asp?pov=4553609

• Options

Cart ID: #297227

Item DescriptionPart #Item PriceQuantityLine Total
    [x]Mercruiser PLUS Series 383 Mag Stroker MPI Bobtail Marine Engine 
    This item requires a signed Product Sales Agreement. 
    This item requires freight shipping. 
    Multi Ship – This product leaves the PPT warehouse in 3-4 Days.
    865108R80$9,395.00
    $9,395.00
    [x]Mercruiser Closed Cooling System: 2002 - Current Small V8 Carb & Efi *High Capacity* (Premium Full System) (#5320-8B)5320-8B$1,265.00
    $1,265.00
    [x]KIT-RISER 
    864929A3$516.04
    $516.04

Subtotal:$11,176.04
    Shipping:$0.00
    Tax:$0.00
    Order Total:$11,176.04

• Options
    edited August 2016
    trip_n said:

Cart ID: #297227

Item DescriptionPart #Item PriceQuantityLine Total
    [x]Mercruiser PLUS Series 383 Mag Stroker MPI Bobtail Marine Engine 
    This item requires a signed Product Sales Agreement. 
    This item requires freight shipping. 
    865108R80$9,395.00
    $9,395.00
    [x]Mercruiser Closed Cooling System: 2002 - Current Small V8 Carb & Efi *High Capacity* (Premium Full System) (#5320-8B)5320-8B$1,265.00
    $1,265.00
    [x]KIT-RISER 
    864929A3$516.04
    $516.04

Subtotal:$11,176.04
    Shipping:$0.00
    Tax:$0.00
    Order Total:$11,176.04

Okay so my guy is making some bucks on the parts - I assume this is dealer pricing? I'm okay with that, guy needs to make money somehow. Let's hope they are very honest on labor.

If this is a direct order from Merc, that's too bad, looks like the thing wont be there till next Wed and if I'm being charged 25 hours of labor there's no way it'll be in the water for the long weekend.