Options

Have you re-powered? What was the total cost and what did you do?

2»

Comments

• Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    wondering if you need the riser option when going with the closed cooling ?
    no you can buy at these prices just ad shipping and give em your c.c.

1-405-533-3812

the link i sent ya on the engine is these guys..sure they would be happy to answer question
  • Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    jmichels said:
    Looking forward to seeing it done Jeff. Still kinda surprised about the whole riser thing. They supposedly include em all but if mercruiser says no then i guess not. 
    Can anyone who has specifically re-powered with the 383 tell me if it came with Risers??? 

ALL sources on various sites on the net say it does. Why is my mechanic saying it doesn't and why would two different merc customer service reps say it doesn't. I don't get it. 

Here are the part numbers right off my invoice:

1. Engine - part # 8M0109404 @ 11,650 
    http://www.mercruiserparts.com/mercury-mercruiser-genuine-factory-oem

2. Risers -  part # 864929A2 @ $600.00
    http://www.mercruiserparts.com/864929a2-kit-3-riser

More specifically, here is what I think (not 100%sure) a FWC 383 looks like, I don't see where the 3 inch riser goes that isn't already included. 

http://www.proboats.com/new_galleria.asp?pov=4553609

I think I know the source of confusion.  It appears that the remanufactured engines are shipped with an exhaust manifolds and elbows.  The elbow is often referred to as a riser.  In some applications the height of the elbow must be raised so an additional riser spacer is inserted between the manifold and the elbow.  The riser spacer can also he referred to as a riser.  So it appears that the mechanic believes that the elbow on your new motor must be raised an additional 3 inches.  So the question really is: must the elbow be raised?  Consider looking at the old motor as a guide before challenging the mechanic.

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MDboater said:
    J3ff said:
    jmichels said:
    Looking forward to seeing it done Jeff. Still kinda surprised about the whole riser thing. They supposedly include em all but if mercruiser says no then i guess not. 
    Can anyone who has specifically re-powered with the 383 tell me if it came with Risers??? 

ALL sources on various sites on the net say it does. Why is my mechanic saying it doesn't and why would two different merc customer service reps say it doesn't. I don't get it. 

Here are the part numbers right off my invoice:

1. Engine - part # 8M0109404 @ 11,650 
    http://www.mercruiserparts.com/mercury-mercruiser-genuine-factory-oem

2. Risers -  part # 864929A2 @ $600.00
    http://www.mercruiserparts.com/864929a2-kit-3-riser

More specifically, here is what I think (not 100%sure) a FWC 383 looks like, I don't see where the 3 inch riser goes that isn't already included. 

http://www.proboats.com/new_galleria.asp?pov=4553609

I think I know the source of confusion.  It appears that the remanufactured engines are shipped with an exhaust manifolds and elbows.  The elbow is often referred to as a riser.  In some applications the height of the elbow must be raised so an additional riser spacer is inserted between the manifold and the elbow.  The riser spacer can also he referred to as a riser.  So it appears that the mechanic believes that the elbow on your new motor must be raised an additional 3 inches.  So the question really is: must the elbow be raised?  Consider looking at the old motor as a guide before challenging the mechanic.

It's starting to make sense. I believe he doesn't want to reuse anything from the old motor... so even if it has this spacer already, why risk it? I'd agree with that! 
  • Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    hang in there and be optimistic. I think it will be done. 
  • Options
    rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    The 383 is worth the work and money, the 350 shouldn't have been in there- IMO.  After you repower, you will have the best boat that the 270 could be- keep it for yourself, or sell it down the road as an improved product.  You may feel little pain at first with writing the check but a ton of good times are ahead-worry free I might add.  You're actually going to move past the frustration of being underpowered, load sensitive, and unable to have a hole shot. Congrats, you're gonna love it!
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    BAD NEWS J3ff ! YOUR GOING TO HAVE TO SPEND EVEN MORE MONEY ; YOUR GOING TO HAVE TO INSTALL FRONT ROW RACING BOLSTER SEATS WITH BODY HARNESSES TO SECURELY HOLD YOU AND YOUR CREW IN WHILE YOUR SCREAMING ACROSS THE WATER AS YOUR CHEEKS ARE FLAPPING IN THE WIND! whichever set of "cheeks" is solely the Captains choice,  HA HA HA! 
    As Nike once said: JUST DO IT ! you have a beautiful boat and it truly sucks what has happened to the old power plant but I see you taking the lemon which was put in front of you and making a tall tasty glass of vodka/lemonade on a 90* day out of it! 
    We all (most of us) wakeup in the mornings to go to work to make more boating $$$$ so we can enjoy our short stay on this rapidly spinning rock, we know boating is not a chump change past time,  we do it because its an ADDICTION, an addiction which we love! 
    Keep us in tune for we are all hoping for a great ending to this. I predict Smooooooth seas ahead for you J3ff!
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    i bought riser spacers when I did my repower this spring... $200... 10 minutes to install.

it installs between the manifold and the elbows.   
  • Options
    J3ff said:
    trip_n said:

Cart ID: #297227

Item DescriptionPart #Item PriceQuantityLine Total
    [x]Mercruiser PLUS Series 383 Mag Stroker MPI Bobtail Marine Engine 
    This item requires a signed Product Sales Agreement. 
    This item requires freight shipping. 
    Multi Ship – This product leaves the PPT warehouse in 3-4 Days.
    865108R80$9,395.00
    $9,395.00
    [x]Mercruiser Closed Cooling System: 2002 - Current Small V8 Carb & Efi *High Capacity* (Premium Full System) (#5320-8B)5320-8B$1,265.00
    $1,265.00
    [x]KIT-RISER 
    Multi Ship – This product leaves the PPT warehouse in 3-4 Days.
    864929A3$516.04
    $516.04

Subtotal:$11,176.04
    Shipping:$0.00
    Tax:$0.00
    Order Total:$11,176.04

Okay so my guy is making some bucks on the parts - I assume this is dealer pricing? I'm okay with that, guy needs to make money somehow. Let's hope they are very honest on labor.

If this is a direct order from Merc, that's too bad, looks like the thing wont be there till next Wed and if I'm being charged 25 hours of labor there's no way it'll be in the water for the long weekend. 
    I don't think this is wholesale pricing.  The $11,650 you were quoted is likely Mercury's MSRP.  The wholesale price is likely below the PPT pricing above but the online vendor operates with lower margins than your mechanic.  Shipping is the other piece.  The online vendor would likely charge $350-$400 for shipping.  

• Options
    i bought riser spacers when I did my repower this spring... $200... 10 minutes to install.

it installs between the manifold and the elbows.   
    I understand that the riser spacer is used to raise the elbow above the waterline.  In the 270 FV, the engine appears to sit high with respect to the water line.  I'm pretty certain the exhaust manifold is already well above the waterline.  So why is the spacer needed in the 270?
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    to align to your Y pipe... 

my oil pan is likely at or below the waterline.. the heads are certainly above it... the requirement for the riser spacers was solely to align the Y pipe and bellows to the elbows and bellows to the riser, while still allowing the aluminum elbow to touch both the Y pipe and the elbows..... you only have maybe a half inch to play with even if you have the proper heights.