Toilet flushes, liquids come back

06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
I have replaced the duck bill.  That seemed to
work for a while. Now I can't keep the liquids down.  Any idea? @Trashman I think you had the same problem. 

Appreciate the help.
Patrick
06 Rinker 270

Comments

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Since you mention duck bill, then can I assume it's a vacuflush (& not an electric - since they have joker valve)?  Did you replace all 4 duck bills?  If not, there are a total of 4.  Two are in line between pump and head, the other two are between pump and tank.  Is it keeping vacuum?  ....or maybe I'm off here and you have the hand pump one?  Guess I need to know which system you have.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    I meant Joker valve, three points. Yes, it is a hand pump. Is there only one?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming your tank is not full  :) then the next thing after your joker to check would be the tank air vent. Could be kinked or clogged. If you have a tank vent filter then it may be done. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking they just don't work very well but did get caught off guard once being full- I had emptied it before a trip and next thing I knew it was full. Was not pretty. But, even empty, it just does not seem to work real well and I get a bubbling back of well, you know. I have checked the vent but also when you look at the routing, it has to go up hill a little and then down so I figure you have to pump enough clean water so that little bit on the hill that comes back at you is at least "clean". I have rebuilt the entire pumping system and did not improve....
    I hope I don't have to replace that thing again.  No I'm not full, about a 1/3 actually.  I'll look for vent.  No filter.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If tank was ever filled "to/over the top" there can be residue in the lines. My friend's kids filled his tank to the top with some overflow. He had it pumped and it wasn't working well. A tech said there could be "residue" and TP lodged in the lines. The tech said before we start disassembling things (not a pleasant task) I'm going to remove your water supply line and run hot water through the toilet and therefore the lines. Two waste tank fills later the toiled flushed well. A LOT of "residue" came out of the lines. In all my years I had never heard of this before. When I told my tech about it he gave it a "like". Do figure?

Just one more reason the TP goes in the trash on my boat! :)  Using nice soft stuff just like home...priceless. :)

I've also learned the hard way that peanuts need chewed up better.  (yeah, duckbills don't like em)

Patrick, definitely make sure vent is unclogged.  & no filter?  better get one before you raft-up!  LOL!

edited August 2016
    I'll have to locate the vent hose.  How would this get clogged?  It's just an air vent?

No #2 on the boat and no TP, I have a trash can in there for that.  

No filter because I have never needed one. Until now, with the fluid coming back up, as never really been that smelly.  Unless one was installed but that would be in engine room right? Didn't see one today

Leads  me to another question, why am I able to pump the liquids completely gone, and it takes a few minutes for to come back.?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    sounds like a suction or syphon thing...never did this before?
  • MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    >I'll have to locate the vent hose.  How would this get clogged?  It's just an air vent?

Spider living in the vent hose is one way it could get clogged.  I disconnected my vent hose at the tank, "snaked it" with a wire, and blew compressed air from the inside out.

>No #2 on the boat and no TP, I have a trash can in there for that.  

I have heard this one before and I just don't get it.  Why have a boat with the creature comforts of home and not use them?  Does toilet paper really wreak so much havoc on these systems or does the stuff in your trash can just not smell ?  :)

>No filter because I have never needed one. Until now, with the fluid coming back up, as never really been that smelly.  Unless one was installed but that would be in engine room right? Didn't see one today

I encountered this issue.  during the end of the first season of ownership I didn't notice any foul odors coming from the vent line (and god knows the kids gave it their best shot).  Then bad odors appeared early the next season.  I think it has to do with the aerobic vs anaerobic bacteria living in the waste tank.  Anaerobic bacteria produce bad odors while aerobic bacteria do not (or do to a lesser degree).  So one claimed solution to tank odor is to add a line and small air pump to pump fresh air into the tank to promote the growth of aerobic bacteria.  But I gotta question, if it doesn't smell in your trash can, why does it smell in your tank?  :)

> Leads  me to another question, why am I able to pump the liquids completely gone, and it takes a few minutes for to come back.?
    Because the holding tank inlet is higher than the toilet bowl base so you are pumping the fluids up to the holding tank.  The waste line remains full of fluid and gravity is working against you.  Maybe someone is sneaking TP through your system and it's hanging up the joker valve?  :)

Thanks for the info @MDboater.  We use the head the head plenty, along with all the other luxuries these cruisers have to offer.  Just if we gotta stink up the place we use the marinas facilities.  Now when anchored, different story.  Not to mention my legs aren't inside my stomach.  It's just the admirals and I, TP in the can with a lid and it gets thrown away when we leave.  I sure when the kids come a knocking, things will change...like a bigger boat.

wow...this forum really brings out the personal stuff.  

And yes someone might be sneaking.  Although the TP I have is rated for marina systems for those who forget.  A slip mates admiral used the head the other day now that I think about it....

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joker valves don't last long. How long ago was it replaced. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

October 2015.  Think it's gone bad already?

One other thing I'd like to add.  I dry flush, I don't use raw water flush.  Is this good or bad?  PO told me he didn't raw water flush so there wasn't salt water running through the hoses.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    Could be gone, depending on usage. And yeah I wouldn't dry flush. I think you're asking for trouble if you do that. 

"Boat + Water = Fun"

@MarkB how so?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    You could try pouring a cup of vinegar or a few ounces of hull cleaner into the bowl (or something else acidic) and letting it sit for 5-10 min. There may be calcium deposits on the joker valve preventing it from closing.  The acid would remove them.  

I flush with fresh water from the sink.  Just move the sink/shower faucet over to the toilet.  
    edited August 2016
    @Michael T when you say remove the water supply line.  You mean the water than flushes the toilet?  I am going to also try your and @MDboaters advice of running hot water or chemical through it.  Also do the vent.  Last option, starting disconnecting.

Buying a jabsco rebuilt kit wouldnt solve anything right?  It's just the housing and the joker(amongst the pump).
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    Most likely the joker valve.  I would start with that as in the following video.  Good luck getting that pan (at 1:12) to fit under the valve 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqYkXa5AWe8

If the joker valve doesn't work then try this.  I suggested vinegar before watching this but they suggest flushing vinegar into the hose and let it sit overnight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftNRhtPjqGw

Yeah, I'm thinking you really need to change the joker valve again.  As far as dry flush, if you really don't want to use the raw water, add water from the sink in there when you flush.  (just reread and saw MD said the same thing :) )

I also agree with the vinegar thing.

Also, I'm thinking you just need to bite the bullet and add a filter in the vent line.  The ole #2 is done on boat whenever.  Although I still try to make the kids use the marina bathroom whenever possible.

That's crazy that it's bad already.  Toilet does get used a fair deal but can't believe it's bad.  I'll try vinegar first and vent line before I go taking things apart.  Also have family visiting this weekend so no time to work, just play.  Luckily we rented a house.

Thanks for the great videos @MDboater
     @Dream_Inn is that the big orange filter your talking about or making one?  It goes on the vent line? 

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    @06Rinker270 , well, I made one myself as others have mentioned on here.  I typically change the charcoal out every other year.  I've also seen where the joker valve has had to be changed within a year....house rental sounds like a good weekend!  (but, you just need a bigger boat to accommodate them!  LOL!)  I've got family coming that is gonna have to put up with anchoring out all weekend.

@06Rinker270, yes the Big Orange filter goes on the vent line and also has a safety feature (vacuum relief port) for pump-outs built in. Re: putting hot water (and vinegar if you want through the toilet. I have had guys use gallon pails of hot water and one guy ran a hot water hose, with some connections right to the toilet water supply and ran it until he filled the waste tank. I think he did that twice.... a few years ago and hasn't had a problem since.
    @06Rinker270 I wouldn't dry flush as it could cause accelerated mechanical wear, especially on items like the joker valve.  Also, I think it would increase your risk of blockage, as water normally acts as a lubricant in the lines.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Definitely don't dry flush that unit! Good advice from all!
  • BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Mine worked poorly last year, so I tossed the whole thing, and put new one it, the "normal" size instead of the compact one. 10 yrs old anyway....yuk....lol
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
    A number of guys I know have put in the larger sized toilets that are now available and with vacu-flush as well and they say the difference is much more "comfortable".
  • f15pilotf15pilot Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    I have the same problem but I have a electric toilet. Any suggestions?
    My issue was the joker valve again, a once a year deal with me so far.  Try there. 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    Ok, same problem here...rebuilt the pump seals and the joker valve when I got the boat but it has always bubbled back. I pulled the joker valve today and it looks fine to me...but I'm not sure I under stand how it would block 100% anyway. When closed you have sort of a star shape that would not close 100% air tight. When I pump mine, all the liquid goes into the line. After 2 or 3 seconds you hear like a suction breaking loose and tank bubbles and starts to fill back up- is there supposed to be a suction on that joker valve? If so, then I can see that staying closed and stuff going backwards...
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ras, are you sure that your vent is completely clear and letting air in?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)