Next problem - wet carpet downstairs.

Comments

• GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I replaced the carpet with teak look vinyl ,I like it better than the carpet 
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's my approach and I think narrowed down to under the trash bin....
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ras, Jeff, skenley- do you all have the same boat? Would be very interesting if all of this chronic issue was the same boat 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know Ras and I have the same. If you google 270 wet carpet/leak it's a known issue. 
    GMSLITHO said:
    I replaced the carpet with teak look vinyl ,I like it better than the carpet 
    Any tips on how to get the carpet up? 
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    The carpet came up pretty easy cut it as I went it’s just stapled and glued 
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Far as I know we have the same model boat 270...just different years.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had the same issue 9n my 2000 270. Mine was the common portlight by the galley leak. It doesn't appear that sealant was used at the factory, just a sealer strip that dried out and shrank over time. I removed and re-sealed all four portlights in about an hour.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    I guess I'm going to be removing both windows on the port side and reseal. However, after getting almost 1 inch of rain in the last three hours and steady rain off and on all week I was expecting to come down to the boat and see a soaked carpet. For some reason it's not soaked at all....this is why this problem is tough. Seems to randomly leak. Guess it could be another sink leak, however I did check that in what seemed to be a good way. Maybe it wasn't will dig in this weekend. Dry carpet right now! 
    @J3ff is it possible that the water is lurking behind the lining and taking time to bleed out? Maybe why you're not seeing it right away.
    I noticed some water close to the front port window... dried it up, and then an hour later there was water there again. Looks like the front port window needs to be sealed up. Sigh!! 
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was getting water in my aft cabin off and on over the last few years. It was my port light windows in the aft cabin and above the kitchenette. I pulled them two weeks ago and resealed them. The way that my boat is sitting at the yard, listed port side high, the carpets would be soaked with some of the rain that we had gotten over the last week. I checked on her today and she was bone dry. I didn't have to take the chrome trim ring off, but I did have to pull the windows. My aft cabin port light is almost vertical, so the rain would just poor in the gap that formed between the window and the trim ring. Over the years, the sealant came out, so there was an 1/8" gap letting the water in when we would get a heavy rain.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    @Cableguy Greg I have to do the same thing.  So you just unscrewed the windows from the inside and used what, 4200?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    edited April 2019
    @Cableguy Greg I have to do the same thing.  So you just unscrewed the windows from the inside and used what, 4200?
    @06Rinker270 , I used 4000 because it is UV protected. I just checked the aft cabin and the carpets are dry.
    Go Steelers!!!
    I'm a bit worried replying to this post and jinxing anything but.

I resealed the forward Port window from the outside this past off season.

We have had one of the rainiest Springs in years and I have dry carpeting through it all.  I might have solved it 
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    It's amazing how many of us with 270's all had problems with that particular port. Mine have been good since resealing last year also. Knock on wood....
    How are you guys sealing without removing the window? I'd love to do that instead of pulling it out again..
    edited June 2019
    I pulled mine. Wanted to inspect the wood core and also get lots of good sealant in there. Although I suppose you could just loosen the screws inside and carefully pry the trim ring out a bit on the outside.
    @J3ff - I dugg out as much of the old sealant around the frame from the outside and used 3m 4000 to reseal.  Call it a bandaide if you want...I'm dry.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    edited June 2019
    @j3ff I agree with @skennelly , dig out as much of the old sealant as possible and reseal. The gap between the window and the chrome ring is where the water finds a way in. I pulled 2 of my windows, but the next 3 I will just reseal that crack with 4000.
    Go Steelers!!!
    just ordered some 4000. So you didn't unscrew anything?
    @J3ff - correct.  I used one of those utility blades that you can extend out to cut as much as the old sealant as I could.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    Be sure to tape the areas around the window and frame to prevent the 4000 from going everywhere. It can get messy fast.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep I’ve done the same, tape the gel coat and wipe in new sealant on the inner and outer ring followed by acetone clean up. Works great!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Do I have to do anything special since my hull is painted black? 
    @J3ff I'm not understanding the reluctance to simply loosen off the 6 or 8 screws that will allow you to pull the trim ring back a bit and seal it? Personally I don't like the idea of having to try and run a blade between the ring and hull without loosening. Especially with a dark hull that will show any slip ups with the knife.
    edited June 2019
    The way I did it...you don't come close to touching your gelcoat.  The trim ring was not the issue for me it was the seal of the actual window frame...not the chrome trim ring
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    edited June 2019
    skennelly said:
    The way I did it...you don't come close to touching your gelcoat.
    Did you not have to loosen any screws? My trim rings fit so tight against the hull I doubt I could get a blade in there without loosening at least a bit.
    Maybe I need to take another look while at the marina today.
    I didn't do anything with the trim ring.  Didn't change a thing.  I just sealed around the window frame
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    Just adding a data point here. The boat has been up on land for 1.5 weeks now...  because it's florida it has continued to rain almost everyday... but for some reason the carpet is dry. Where-ever this leak is, having the bow slightly up as it sits right now must have the water missing whatever hole it usually finds when it's in the water... 

Previous to this i did re-seal both port windows, thought I had the problem fixed but then it came back a few days later.