Options

Outdrive leak

dwolfdwolf Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
I'm getting out drive Oil in the bilge  about 2 ounces a day I can see oil at the transom but I can't figure out where it's coming from so I pulled out drive the Bellows was completely full of oil no water everything looks good nothing more out but I can't figure out where the oil is coming from . Anybody got any ideas in the hose looks good the reservoir looks good . Here are some pictures of my homemade stand to hold out drive while I'm servicing It.

Comments

• Options
    When I pulled the outdrive I found this inside of it I'm not sure what it is but it doesn't appear that it belongs there it kind a looks like the heel of the shoe with the steel insert it was in it but I'm not sure here's a picture of it what do you think
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Al Will know what that is. 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I've heard of a guy loosing his a$$ on a boat but never a shoe. LOL
    Post edited by raybo3 on
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Looks like an exhaust flap to me
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes exhaust flaper,that's half of one side.pull riser off they fit on the top of exhaust Y.Do both sides and try to make sure you get all parts.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Alswagg said:
    Your exhaust flappers need replaced.  You need to locate the other side also.  As for the oil.  Uppper seal in Outdrive is bad. Bellows should be 100% dry no water no oil.  Oil must be getting through the gimble bearing / drive shaft 
     OK where are the exhaust flappers located ? Where with the upper seal for the outdrive be ? The oil was getting the Bellows and then it's being getting pushed back out into the bilge  
  • Options
    Yes exhaust flaper,that's half of one side.pull riser off they fit on the top of exhaust Y.Do both sides and try to make sure you get all parts.
      This sounds like a job. So what all parts of my going to need to do this job tell necessary is it to have flappers 
  • Options
    This is something I've never done pulling the risers off, anything I need to know about before trying this ?so I Assume these flappers are to keep the water from coming up into the engine
  • Options
    I don't know if it makes any difference or not but I have the captains call  silent choice exhaust  where can come out to the outdrive for out to the sides of the boat, where can I find a diagram showing how to do this job and were these flappers are located 
  • Options
     Where exactly is this seal that that I need to replace just stopped to eat dry food from leaking into the Bellows is it the seal that the driveshaft side zip into when you put the drive back into the bell housing?
  • Options
    Alswagg said:
    Your exhaust flappers need replaced.  You need to locate the other side also.  As for the oil.  Uppper seal in Outdrive is bad. Bellows should be 100% dry no water no oil.  Oil must be getting through the gimble bearing / drive shaft 
     Where is the upper seal in the outdrive at I thought maybe the hose that came from the reservoir refill it it was probably bad we're went through the transom wall but I don't know I can't find anything wrong with it I can't find thing wrong with the fitting that goes through the wall of the transom and I don't see anything wrong with the hose on the outside of the boat where that goes to the outdrive 
  • Options
     I can't seem to figure out how the oil is getting in the Bellows because it appears there's a hose comes down from the refill reservoir down to an elbow that goes through the transom and then I can get in the back of the boat and I can see the hose come up to a little connector at the outdrive so how in the world is oil getting in the Bellows I really need help with this
  • Options
    Drive shaft seal.
  • Options
    You talking about the little red O ring that goes around the driveshaft
  • Options
    Drive shaft seal
    are you talking about the rubber O-ring that goes around the driveshaft on mine it's red

• Options
    Where is the oil coming from and how was it getting in the Bellows it appears it comes down the line from the refill all the way out to the outdrive how was it getting in the Bellows I don't see anyway possible I could get in the Bellows you should never be outdrive oil anywhere near the driveshaft right
  • Options
     I certainly appreciate all your input and all your advice.  Tell me if this is right I'm thinking that the oil leak is coming in from the bell housing area when it's actually coming from there I'll drive itself correct other words the section I have pulled off is where I should be looking for the leak not on the boat ?i've never pulled in I'll drive I've never had a boat with out drive I've always had direct drive boats so this is all new to me but I'm not afraid to tackle anything
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Good chance is coming from that seal that why you found oil in your drive shaft bellows, then if there was enough oil in your bellows it would find its way into the back of your engine where the drive shaft is.
  • Options
    A pressure test will tell you where the leak is in most cases
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The exhaust flaps are in the down pipe from the manifolds. Below the elbow. You should replace the rubber exhaust and clamps while you are at it. Really not hard, 1-2 hours at most. About $450/engine in parts for all of it. 

The blown oil seal is where the shaft goes into the upper drive. Just replacing the seal rarely fixes the problem as shaft wear and/or carrier bearing wear will just make it keep leaking. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    The exhaust flaps are in the down pipe from the manifolds. Below the elbow. You should replace the rubber exhaust and clamps while you are at it. Really not hard, 1-2 hours at most. About $450/engine in parts for all of it. 

The blown oil seal is where the shaft goes into the upper drive. Just replacing the seal rarely fixes the problem as shaft wear and/or carrier bearing wear will just make it keep leaking. 
    I think I figured out where the seal leak is it's where the universal joint goes into the outdrive, i'm told this is not something that you want to do myself that I'll be better off to send it to a professional  because of the  specialty tools that it requires and the way everything has to be torqued ,  to replace the flapper valves would cost $450 are you kidding why ?I don't see it I wouldn't think the parts would cost more than 25 or 30 bucks and then a couple hours to put them in
  • Options
    To do the flappers and the rubber boots that connect the elbows you need:

2x Flappers
    4x Connector boots (two different part numbers per side)
    16x clamps (always replace!)

The job is pretty straight forward to do.  the parts are not cheap.  The risers do not need to come off. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    To do the flappers and the rubber boots that connect the elbows you need:

2x Flappers
    4x Connector boots (two different part numbers per side)
    16x clamps (always replace!)

The job is pretty straight forward to do.  the parts are not cheap.  The risers do not need to come off. 
    Are the flappers that necessary? It seems to do all right without them,not sure how long they been midding.what are dry joint manifolds?how do i tell which ones i have?ive looked for video on replacing flappers but havent fiund any.wherecan i find info on replacing these?
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Best thing is to buy the original service manual from Mercruiser, that will explain everything.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    Best thing is to buy the original service manual from Mercruiser, that will explain everything.
    Good luck.
    I'm taking out drive to and I'll drive mechanic today and let them go through it the flappers I'll probably do myself if I can find something on it to show how to do it
  • Options
    The flappers are your only defense from hydrolocking. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
     Well I got the outdrive finished no leaks everything looks good works great it's ready to go back in cost me $145 total parts and labor I stood by and watched the whole process now if I ever had a problem again I know how to fix that.
     Next I've got to tackle the flappers not really looking forward to this being that I'm going to have to get in the engine compartment and I'm 6 foot four and 225 pounds
  • Options
     One thing I forgot is To ask how I get the transducer out so I can seal it because the oil from the  outDrive started leaking through the transducer out onto the concrete.my question is how does this come out and what would be good to seal it with I could reach down there and turn it and I thought it was snuggling up that it didn't stop the leaking it never leaked before until I got home and I had some guys cleaning on it and I guess they bumped it or something and cause it to start leaking