Options

Thinking about motoring my boat to the Bahamas from Florida

dwolfdwolf Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
 Can anyone give me any advice on boating from Florida to the Bahamas the dues and downs and things I need to know the best time to go anything that could help I know to go in the spring early .  And I also know it's a good idea to go with a group of other boaters a possible that's what I'd rather do . I've never done anything like this before and just something that's on my bucket list .  So far this winter I've been going through everything on my boat to make sure that it's in tiptop shape including pulling out driving fully servicing it . I know to take extra bilge pump and belts and hoses and etc.   i'm sure there's plenty of y'all who have done this . Would be great if some of y'all were going across and I could cross when y'all did.

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you know the total distance? Do you have the fuel capacity?
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now's your chance Handy, make the trip.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Waiting on auto pilot install
  • Options
    Make your wife drive, set it up with dwolf, I'll come down and go with ya.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Need 2 weeks off for that trip. Key West is a day
  • Options
    From Ft Pierce FL to Freeport is only 121 miles, @ 26 miles per hour that's only a 4.65 hour cruse. From West Palm Beach it's only 85 miles. You could be there for lunch, spend the nite, buy all the rum, cigars, and left handed cigarettes, you want and come back the next day. just sayin
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Thats an easy trip for me if my boat was in Ft Pierce. It would take 2 days to get over there. 
  • Options
    Ya mon, Ras even may want to join in on this. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Do you know the total distance? Do you have the fuel capacity?
    I think my boat holds about 75 gallons of fuel and Bimini is only 50 miles from Fort Lauderdale and I can fuel their then Cruise down to the next island with a fuel stop,Shirley I can get from Fuel stop to fuel stop with 75 gallons of fuel,with 75 gallons of fuel I can operate about a full day on that might be a little more depends on how hard I drive it
  • Options
    Have you checked up on Passport requirements and regulations when entering foreign waters?
  • Options
    Have you checked up on Passport requirements and regulations when entering foreign waters?
    Yes ,i'm in the process of getting my passport now
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    My usual guidance for trips in big water:  the smaller the boat, the more you need to have a flexible schedule.  If the weather doesn't cooperate, don't let the calendar force you to go out in seas your boat can't handle.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are you tubes doing it on jet skis....it's all about timing.
  • Options
    SeaHareSeaHare Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    Just FYI, from what ive read, fuel is really expensive over there. like $5-6/gal
    01 FV 310, 5.7s carbed, B3s
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fuel in Pittsburgh on the water is $4.50 to $5 per gallon. That's not too bad for being in the Bahama's.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and don't even think about taking a gun....there are trips organized by the Florida Power Squadron I have heard going to Bimini out of Ft. Lauderdale I have read....
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    and don't even think about taking a gun....there are trips organized by the Florida Power Squadron I have heard going to Bimini out of Ft. Lauderdale I have read....
    ive heard same thing, no firearms, could get in lota trouble
  • Options

Fuel in Pittsburgh on the water is $4.50 to $5 per gallon. That's not too bad for being in the Bahama's. 
    I pay around four dollars a gallon at my local marina now
  • Options

SeaHare said:
    Just FYI, from what ive read, fuel is really expensive over there. like $5-6/gal
    You've got to pay to play
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    there are you tubes doing it on jet skis....it's all about timing.
    I've sold several videos were people read Jetske's across to Bimini and taking a lot smaller boats than mine and you're right it's all in the timing your time I just right the waters calm as  any  lake
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    My usual guidance for trips in big water:  the smaller the boat, the more you need to have a flexible schedule.  If the weather doesn't cooperate, don't let the calendar force you to go out in seas your boat can't handle.
     I have no schedule or time frame to do it in that way I can pick and choose my weather conditions hopefully I'm really hoping that a couple for you guys from here are going to the Bahamas this year and I can go when you all go I've never had my boat out on the ocean but I'm up for adventure.  I've been voting for years so I'm not a newbie at boating I just haven't been on the ocean But I have watched a lot of videos and read a lot of articles on it
  • Options
    randy56 said:
    Make your wife drive, set it up with dwolf, I'll come down and go with ya.
    I am completely open as to when to go in when to come back I have no one to answer to I just want to have a good time and be safe
  • Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't even consider making that trip in a single engine boat, but I'm pretty conservative when it comes to going off-shore.

• Options
    MDboater said:
    I wouldn't even consider making that trip in a single engine boat, but I'm pretty conservative when it comes to going off-shore.

Would you go in a twin diesel? LOL
  • Options
    luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Dewolf you have a Captiva 232 right?  That's a big trip in a 23 footer. Might want to try a few smaller jaunts in the ocean first to get a feel for the swells and chop you will encounter. 
    Post edited by luvinlife on
  • Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    Keys are a great alternative or a good practice run. I put in at John Pennekamp State Park in Key Largo in '95 and cruised to KW (about 8 days). Loved it. Rinker 260 single engine/75 gallons of fuel capacity and plenty of places to stop,fuel and eat.
  • Options
    pault1216 said:
    Keys are a great alternative or a good practice run. I put in at John Pennekamp State Park in Key Largo in '95 and cruised to KW (about 8 days). Loved it. Rinker 260 single engine/75 gallons of fuel capacity and plenty of places to stop,fuel and eat.
    My bucket list  is to cruise  to the Bahamas
  • Options
    luvinlife said:
    Dewolf you have a Captiva 232 right?  That's a big trip in a 23 footer. Might want to try a few smaller jaunts in the ocean first to get a feel for the swells and chop you will encounter. 
    I seen people do this trip on Jet Ski's over 1000 miles and I've seen them do it in 21 footers. So I don't see the problem dude in the 23 footer my boat rides deep in the water it rides good I realize it may not ride as good as some of y'all's boat but you know I'm going to the Bahamas one way or another and I thought about buying a bigger boat but you know I don't really want to invest in a bigger boat to just make one trip to the Bahamas. My boat is very reliable it's never had a breakdown and I've gone completely through everything on it when I get done with the outdrive then it'll be basically brand-new boat again .I would like to have a bigger boat to go in but I just don't see justifying spending that much more money to go on a trip when I don't need that big about normally
  • Options
    MDboater said:

I have a lot of boating experience just not out on the ocean but I'm not scared that's not to say that I don't have respect for the water I like adventure I like the thrill factor I like the excitement. If I don't do this I'll never forgive myself my boat is excellent mechanical condition I have no doubt to give Mike his trip and make it many times without any problem people do it every day and much smaller boats in this they do it every day on Jetske's 
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    I agree with luinlife, do a shorter trial run on the open ocean. It can be quite different not being able to see land. A 23ft boat alone, with a single engine can quickly turn from an adventure to an emergency rescue. I have been in storms on a 437ft Adams class Destroyer (USS BUCHANAN DDG-14) and wished I was on a bigger boat. 

"NAVY, IT'S NOT JUST A JOB, IT'S AN ADVENTURE"