Options

Thinking about motoring my boat to the Bahamas from Florida

2»

Comments

• Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    If you decide to do something like that, make sure you file a float plan - basically, it's a plan that says that you are leaving at a certain time, taking a specific route and you expect to arrive at X time (plus or minus). That way, if something does happen and you don't show up when expected, whom ever you gave your float plan to should then notify Coast Guard, etc.
    I always draw up a float plan and give it to at least 2 people - going across Lake Michigan is ~ 80 miles or so (to South Haven, Michigan from Hammond Harbor, Indiana). Even though it's only a "lake", it can turn nasty in a heartbeat. There is a small area in the middle of the lake that you cannot get cel phone service and you are also out of radio range as well - unless there are other boaters in the area which is often times not the case.
  • Options
    dwolfdwolf Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
    If you decide to do something like that, make sure you file a float plan - basically, it's a plan that says that you are leaving at a certain time, taking a specific route and you expect to arrive at X time (plus or minus). That way, if something does happen and you don't show up when expected, whom ever you gave your float plan to should then notify Coast Guard, etc.
    I always draw up a float plan and give it to at least 2 people - going across Lake Michigan is ~ 80 miles or so (to South Haven, Michigan from Hammond Harbor, Indiana). Even though it's only a "lake", it can turn nasty in a heartbeat. There is a small area in the middle of the lake that you cannot get cel phone service and you are also out of radio range as well - unless there are other boaters in the area which is often times not the case.
    Thank you for the information. Ive been planning on thid trip to to bahamas for about 3yrs. I'm trying to learn everything I can about going to the Bahamas in order to make the trip that much more enjoyable .I no to file float plan  and also know that the Great Lakes can be really treacherous as much so if not more than the ocean is 
  • Options
    jhofmann said:
    I agree with luinlife, do a shorter trial run on the open ocean. It can be quite different not being able to see land. A 23ft boat alone, with a single engine can quickly turn from an adventure to an emergency rescue. I have been in storms on a 437ft Adams class Destroyer (USS BUCHANAN DDG-14) and wished I was on a bigger boat. 

"NAVY, IT'S NOT JUST A JOB, IT'S
     Somebody else seem to act mlike the Bahamas is way out there thousand miles or something it's only 50 miles away and then stretches for about the next 700 miles my plan was to go down there and see as much of it as I can in couple weeks to a months and come back. I'm going to be well prepared I've been planning this for a long time 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Bahamas are on my bucket list as well. If/when I do it, I will be sure to go with a group of boats. Fifty miles isn't all that far. I did that on the river in one day, but we also had to slow down to go through the locks. Like the others stated above, file a float plan. I would also have an anchor with enough rode to get to the bottom. I would also invest in a membership to TowBoatUS, just in case.

Good luck with your trip. Be sure to take lots of pictures to share so we can drool all over our computers.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    A Mr. Hugo Vihlen sailed across the Atlantic in a boat less than 6' long. Twice.
    Not that I would recommend it.

Andy

• Options
    The Bahamas are on my bucket list as well. If/when I do it, I will be sure to go with a group of boats. Fifty miles isn't all that far. I did that on the river in one day, but we also had to slow down to go through the locks. Like the others stated above, file a float plan. I would also have an anchor with enough rode to get to the bottom. I would also invest in a membership to TowBoatUS, just in case.

Good luck with your trip. Be sure to take lots of pictures to share so we can drool all over our computers.
     Well to me doing this trip would be like diving you wouldn't want to do it alone there is safety in numbers I did I sure plan on going across when other people are going across hopefully there's someone on here that would like to cross sometime early this spring . I'm just not gonna be happy until I do this and I think cab pick the right days to cross and waters gonna be nice and smooth and also several videos for they did this and smaller boats in on Jet Ski's and had no problems. I pilot various drones so I'll be flying drones at the same time while crossing intake and live action video of it   And taking lots of pictures 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    check out this series of you tubes.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiWZTy0brf0
    I've seen these videos numerous times over the past couple years thank you. their boat is a lot smaller than mine and they bring a jet ski
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice series of TUBES :wink:
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, and great tomatoes too! Seriously, that does look like a blast, and the warm crystal clear waters sure look inviting. I don't think a haul of our 246 from Iowa down to Miami to be able to boat over to the Bahamas is in the cards though.
  • Options
    Yeah, and great tomatoes too! Seriously, that does look like a blast, and the warm crystal clear waters sure look inviting. I don't think a haul of our 246 from Iowa down to Miami to be able to boat over to the Bahamas is in the cards though.
    Im in arkansas so im a ways away as well but wont allow that to stop me
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dwolf said:
    Get with Rasbury, he wants to go there. 
  • Options
    dwolf said:
    Get with Rasbury, he wants to go there. 
     OK how do I get with Rasbury? I'm still new to this site and not for real for mayor with how to get around on it or how to contact anyone .  I am most definitely interested in getting with other boaters and going to the Bahamas at the same time so anyone interested please contact me I'm completely open as to when to go  as I am self-employed and I can go anytime. 
  • Options
    @dwolf sent you a note back- another good way to communicate on this forum vs. a personal message is doing the @ symbol with the screen name and it will show up on your notifications like this one will. Not sure when I would make that trip but as I put in my note, probably would fly and then rent a boat but have not looked into that yet- it's on the bucket list but right now pretty far down the list! We have so many areas to boat in Fl that are similar to the Bahamas that your not leaving the country to see!
  • Options
    Come on Ras, man up!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    @handymans342 You should give a go yourself!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I would want a couple of weeks and not in the cards right now...lottery?
  • Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    @handymans342 You should give a go yourself!
    Soon as I have 3 weeks vacation. 
  • Options
    yes,even living in the area, not something I'd want to do in a week...have been over to Handys area 4 years in a row for a week at a time....by the time you get settled you done. Trailer down to WPB is a day out of it, getting across the pound is another day out of it, 2 days out of it to get back and that leaves 4 days to enjoy...wait, not starting to sound so bad! For the money we'd spend, I'd want more than that. I have so much of FL to explore yet- keys would be just as good and I don't need a passport...I would really look at flying in and renting a boat as the way to go...
  • Options
    Yeah Ras  but its not your boat, not your toilet, and not your bed
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have to ask, since you cannot rent boats here, how much would it cost to rent a 30 ft cruiser for a week?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
  • Options
    Wow, if I lived in FL, a trip to Bahamas would happen at least yearly.  You only need a week with both weekends to make it a 10 day round trip.  If you can't take a week off, well, time for a new job! :) 

• Options
     Who would be interested in taking their boat down the coast been to the keys if I decide to change my mind and do that?  Doesn't appear anyone is really interested in going to the Bahamas although my heart is set on that but I could be persuaded to do a different trip I would just like to go with other like-minded boaters and have a safe trip I can go anytime for any amount of time it doesn't matter  i'm completely flexible I'm self-employed and I can take off whenever I like.
  • Options
    I'd be sitting in a hotel somewhere, what would I need a cabin boat for?  Just a center console would be all I'd really need.... Would you really stay on your boat? I suppose it would be ok......and Dream, there are so many places to go in FL- keys, west coast, down around Miami- even the panhandle is suppose to be incredible boating- I live around Orlando and don't go to Disney! I will do it before my boating days are over but it is just not that big a priority. And if nothing else, I would probably over which is next to nothing to check it out before I planned a trip there..... 
  • Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    Wow, if I lived in FL, a trip to Bahamas would happen at least yearly.  You only need a week with both weekends to make it a 10 day round trip.  If you can't take a week off, well, time for a new job! :) 
    You govt guys have 6 weeks. leave!
  • Options
    I work when I'm on vacation it always seems...that business!
  • Options

Dream_Inn said:
    You govt guys have 6 weeks. leave!
    I'm not a gov't employee.  But, after 23 years working at one place, yes I get 5 weeks.

• Options
    I get all the time I want, just not paid!