Options

Bottom paint question

2»

Comments

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    You can paint any color you want as long as you find it. Many boats at my club have used white. Of course the lighter the color the more the dirt and scum shows so beware of that.......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

The main reason people paint it a darker color is to be able to see when it is wearing off.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,568 mod
    Micron CSC comes in "shark white."  I'd never use it here on the Potomac because the muddy water would turn it brown in no time.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @tniggel uses Petit Vivid White. It looks good on his boat. I have thought about changing colors from blue to grey or black so you can see the previous color come through when it is time to paint. My boat was originally painted in Micron CSC from the selling dealer, then the PO had it painted with Hydrocoat. I will probably stick with the hydrocoat when I repaint.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    tniggeltniggel Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    I go back and forth about just touching up with the Copper-Guard or give the bottom an entire coat of Hydrocoat.  I guess that depends on how much is flaking off...its only 1.5 season old.  

Also does the sander have to be random?

Thanks for the tip @tniggel
    I don't think the sander has to be random but it just keeps you from getting into trouble by sanding too much off. You just have to Scuff it
  • Options
    gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Craig.  I now realize after my boat was delivered that the reason the outdrive was not painted and the bottom was, is because the outdrive was replaced with what looks like a new one.  Not sure if it was ever used since no bottom paint.  I purchased from a broker so I don't know the history of the boat.
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    gack said:
    Thanks, I always had the marina bottom paint my boats, never asked what they used on the outdrive but looked like same paint as boat (non-ablative ).  
    I have used Sea Hawk Smart Solution on my bottom and outdrive(yes, safe for use on outdrive) for the past 3yrs and have had great results in the Great South Bay. A little pricey, but if it works it worth it. 
  • Options
    luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I think I will use Petit Hydrocoat ablative, this is what is in my boat now. I will lightly sand and do the waterline and outdrive thoroughly but just touch up the bottom. It actually still looks  good on the bottom. Painted one season ago. 
    Post edited by luvinlife on
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Hydrocoat is the route I am going this year.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    Hydrocoat on sale March 16-19 at West Marine. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wholesale Marine also has it on sale.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    I love Wholesale Marine.  I bought a lot of stuff from him them on Ebay.  Free and fast shipping. 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270