Options

How hard is it to dock a 270 FV?

Comments

• Options
    luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    Tony is this the rudder indicator you were referring to? Just 32 dollars. 
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    That's the one!  The sticky pad may not be sufficient after a while after a few battles with the sea and age on the sticky.  i was able to fix that with the creative use of some long ty wraps threaded over the device and thru the openings in the steering wheel cross member.  Works just fine.

The nice thing about it is the indicator needle is bent over the top of the face so you can see it just fine while standing.
  • Options
    I will order one! 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod

Lots of good info and reading guys!  I haven't drove a single screw for quite a long time.  I'll say, my 24 was much harder than my 310 and probably most of the time than my 400.  Twin screws, most of the time when backing in I just turn around and only use the throttles.  If I have to walk it sideways, then I use the wheel.

Nothing better than taking a bunch of boaters out and having them get lines when docking.  A captain on someone else's boat typically knows the routine. (make the captain look good)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    True story.  We were going into a covered slip at Columbus MS and I had the boat going sideways toward the dock using the technique you mentioned above and the dock master asked me how I liked my Axius.  Then he noticed I was doing the maneuvering by hand.   I felt pretty good the rest of the day.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Walk it sideways? That I need to know about!
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to have twin's to make it work Ras. There is an art to it. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Turn the engines slightly to port.  Put the port engine in forward, the boat will inch forward but will also inch sideways to the starboard.  Put the port engine in reverse, the boat will inch backward but will also inch sideways to port.

To see why this works, draw a vector diagram of the forces acting on the boat along with the CG of the boat.  It can be a very crude sketch but the mechanics will pop right out.
  • Options
    No twins here but interesting!
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 936 ✭✭✭✭
    I have zero experience driving cruiser boats with twins, but I have driven many houseboats with them.  Even a 75' Houseboat can be fairly easy to steer if you know what you are doing. Of course in high winds, that is thrown out the window.....nothing but LOTS of throttle will control them in that situation, it gets pretty western at the docks  B)
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    I learned along time ago that having 2 lines attached to the dock side of the boat on a double load slip is the best way to get back into my slip with minimal concern about the boat next to me. Like Skennelly, my first marina was in a Chicago harbor with my new to me 2003 270. The way I learned to dock was with a line from the mid-ship cleat that is at least 5' longer than the boat and another line on the stern cleat also at least 5' of excess length. So, when I back into my slip, all I have to do is get the swim platform close enough to the dock so that the Admiral (or a guest) could hop off the swim platform onto the dock with both lines in hand. When you have the mid-ship line and stern line, it makes it pretty easy to control the bow and stern with the two lines. I have kept the same process with my 320 - all I need to do is be relatively straight when backing in and reasonably close to the dock. If a slip mate is around, it is very easy to toss them the 2 ropes and they can then control the bow and stern until I get into neutral and hop onto the dock. I often see folks come in with only a stern line and once someone grabs the stern line, the bow usually goes the opposite direction because the tendency is to pull the stern line close to the dock. So, I definitely recommend the two line approach - it takes a lot of the worry factor of hitting your neighbor's boat out of the equation.
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @frodo13056 - I'm guilty of having a single stern line....Assuming I back in straight like you said she gets that line on a cleat at least mid ways in.  From there I can bump into forward and pull the bow in against the dock.  Both concepts are using a spring line concept.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭
    Lots of good advice here.  I have two bravo threes and never touch the steering wheel when backing into the slip.  Just control through the throttle.  I am envious of the guys with bow thrusters.  There are a couple things i will definitely reiterate.  Practice, practice, practice.  Wind and tide will cause you heartache.  Dont be afraid to tie up a line mid ship to use as a pivot point if needed and try backing in from both sides.  I found i felt like i had a lot more control by coming into the slip on the starboard side of the boat.  Last suggestion is that if you are getting a lot of wind to undo snaps and zippers on your canvas.  Makes your boat less of a sailboat.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you dock on a river, try to get a slip on the upstream side of the finger. You can use that to your advantage if the current is running a little fast, or if it is normal and you had a few too many boat pops. Back in and the current will push you into the dock.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Greg I will be in a bay not a river. I have not been assigned a slip yet and they are I short supply so I doubt I have any say. I am really hoping I can take the boat out alone some days too. Single handed single engine docking. I know others that do it in my marina. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @luvinlife , if possible, dunk your boat at the earliest that the marina will let you into your slip. Chances are, there will be less boats in the water and it will give you time to practice.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    ApriceAprice Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    I find the best method with my 270 is crawling in.  By engaging the throttle for a few seconds then back to neutral and guiding it in with small burst of movement but in the direction you intend on going.
    To counteract the wind or unwanted movements, try to maintain your direction or position by turning the drive almost all the way ( in this example the dock is on the starboard side)  to the starboard side with throttle in forward at idle speed and then do the opposite to the port side. Remember to turn the drive in  the opposing directions prior to engaging the the throttle to keep from moving while changing the direction of the outdrive.
    I have had 3 single screw 27 foot and bigger boats, the first two had Bravo 2 drives and this one has the Bravo 3. Bravo 3 makes a huge difference. Less unintentional drift or crab walking.  After a few times you'll  have the hang of it.  Great advise from other on here also. Good Luck. I love my 270 but will be looking to get a 312 or 342 soon. My family of 5 fits now but it will continue to get tighter as the kids grow. I cant stop thinking about the space of an 11 or 12 foot beam ! ;-)
    Anthony Price 
    The Price is Right
    MacRay Harbor, Harrison Twp., MI 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @luvinlife I wish I read all these great tips 5 years ago when I started with my 270, now I have to learn with a 342.good thing a lot is same.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I saw one of the forum membership installed a bow thruster on his own 270... has anyone else had a professional install one? Cost? A bow thruster would make it so nice!!
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I previously had a 270 before my 360, and man it was challenging to dock.  With that heavy 320hp engine and high freeboards on the front, the bow always wanted to wander in even mild wind/current conditions.  I found you were always guessing **** how much to compensate for the wind/current.  You always have to compensate but i felt that the window was too big on this boat.  My answer was a bow thruster.  3 grand for a Sideshift and you'll be in business.  Other than that short bursts at relatively hard angles, combined with a wheel centering guide (as Tony mentioned), and lots of practice are your best bet.  And don't be afraid to use a piling on a windy day to pivot off of.  Thats smart boating in my mind.
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Craigswardmtb- I looked at the SideShift, but I'm just not sure about it... going to post a seperate thread and see if anyone else has used it. 
  • Options
    bazzabazza Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    EB 40 Side Power, 90 degree low height fits under forward table floor of my 2010 EC 280 similar to 270, worth a look it works great.
    Bazza.
  • Options
    I am sure a bow thruster would make life a lot easier but 3 thousand is a lot. I will try a season first to be sure this is the boat for me and to see how I do without it. 
  • Options
    You'll get it luvinlife...
  • Options
    gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    i have same concerns about docking the 270, but mine have to due with the width of slip.  I own my slip that has 9'9" usable width which was OK for my 250FV with it's 8'5" beam.  Will be challenging with a 9'1" beam.  :#
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with 8 inches 4 inch's per side, I've seen guy's rap  carpet 3 ft up on all the poles to slide in. Man that's tight. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @gack that's going to be very tight you may need to greese up the sides on the way in.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    you don't have 8" per side, you have 8" total? There is no way I could put that in by myself even with no wind or current, or probably with two out drives! Heck, you don't have room for bumpers!
  • Options
    Yeah, it's going to be tough, will need lots of cushion.  I know the spec for the 270 FV says it has a 9' 1" beam, but took a rough measure at the aft waterline and widest point when I had the boat surveyed and I got around 8'10".  Can anyone confirm this?  Is midsection wider then aft?
  • Options
    I meant stern not aft.  o:)