Options

How hard is it to dock a 270 FV?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod
    gack, another thing you need to be cautious about is tidal change.  With the minimal amount between pilings, you will need some very well set spring lines for tidal change and to help boat from not constantly rubbing.  Hopefully your marina does not get high winds or rough water.  Docking, I'm sure after a while that will be no bid deal and the least of concerns.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Yes, good point Dream_Inn.  During one bad storm when tide rose above the dock I got a call from the the marina that my 250 was "in distress".  Had to run down and cut the lines because they were too tight to undo.  The marina water is pretty calm but winds can pick up on occasion. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What year boat? I know mine is listed as 9 on a 2005...seems like I am hearing different years were different beams, either way, I don't see how you can do it...if it was a truck it would be tuff!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod
    One other question gack, what is the length of the slip.  In other words, what length can it accommodate.  You will need to pilings to be a bit further out to help with line length.  Again, I think it can be done but you will really need to have those lines perfect.  I have a friend that had to have some work done on his rub rail over the winter because during a storm, between some surge and higher wind, it rubbed continuously on a piling (tore it up pretty good for just a regular storm).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    It's doable but not ideal. I have a similar scenario with my 360. It is a 12'1" beam and my slip is 12'8". It's tight for sure but with good lines and some good bumper covers it is fine. The stern is a bit narrower than mid ship on my boat. 
  • Options
    Slip will accommodate up to 30' so I think I'm ok but will have to check the pilings.  Was thinking of having a new finger built this year and extending the length of it to allow for bow in docking during windy days. 
    Rasbury - mine is an '04, i believe the spec for '05 beam should be the same.  http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/2004/Rinker-Boat-Co/FIESTA-VEE-270-EC/10211730/Specs

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just don't see how you can put a boat in that tight a slip...i dock pretty much by myself, I go for slips without another boat!
  • Options
    russellhrussellh Member Posts: 155 ✭✭
    I have a bow thruster built into my 270 and when you need it it great and I love the security of having it. We have s lock in our marina and the bow thruster makes life easier for sure. Im a competent boater and learnt on a fast current river marina with single engine no bow thruster so can handle a boat good. Bow thruster takes the fear element out of it all
  • Options
    luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Off to our first trip today. We will need to go to the gas dock then head out. Thankfully my brother will be joining my wife and me. I am sure we will do fine. It's only going to be in the 60s but the bay is only predicted at 1-2 footers. My wife and I will stay overnight and go out again tomorrow. 
    Post edited by luvinlife on
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being new to a FV270 myself I was nervous as heck the first couple of docking sessions. I dock bow in, so a little easier. As others have said, wind plays a big factor with canvas up, which is a lot of the time here with our weather. Slow, slow, slow is the order of the day, turn wheel in N as others have said, short bursts of throttle. Buoy's go out on all four sides before I even enter the harbour, never know when someone else is going to get too close in spite of your best efforts.
    As far as stern in, I will have a need to do this from time to time but my current plan is to dock normally bow in and then turn it by hand. I don't see any shame in it, and my neighbours will thank me for not bouncing off their boats.
    The one thing I did notice that I haven't seen mentioned yet, is the first couple of sessions I ended up too far off the dock because I was overestimating where the hull was in relation to the dock. If I can see the finger dock in the last seconds, I'm too far out. The hull on the 270 comes in at a bigger angle than what you think at first. And the buoy's help if I do get a little tight.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    First 2 days docking went very well. Not much wind either day. Had help from a slipmate on day 1. The wife and I handled it day 2.  Used everyone's advice and had curtains down, short bursts in neutral and went slowly and patiently. We will get better as the season progresses. 
  • Options
    My problem is that my slip is tight - about 4" to poles on each side and a floating dock 30-ft out front so docking is challenging in wind.  I took her out on a trial run last week when it was a little gutsy and discovered that I had ALOT of play in my steering which made docking even more challenging.  I had to rope the pole and put her in reverse to help docking but will get easier with practice.  Will have to check out the steering before I go out again.