Options

The cooler cut-out on the 270 is like the chick I dated with the cute accent

TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
  How you ask, well its grown to be annoying, lol.  
When I bought my 270 I looked at the cooler setup and thought wow, thats neat.  I imagine it was a selling point back in 2004 but the reality is it gets on my nerves.  I have never used it and I always bring a cooler w wheels to the dock which I put up front in the cabin for better weight distribution. I saw a cabinet on ebay that was very close to the size of the hole and after careful measuring , I took a chance.  This was made really well out of starboard and I got it for 80 bucks!,  the sides were a little narrow leaving a gap so i bought a piece of seafoam starboard and cut out a frame to fill the gap. I routed a nice curve over the edge bit I see I should probably round the corners.  Cost of starboard was 60.00 for a 24x27x1/2. The center cutout i will use to make 3 new cover plates for underneath my radar arch.  Thinking about countersinking some lights in them also, still thinking of some ideas for that project.  The cabinet is just sitting in the hole now until the weather breaks and I can clean the plastic pan inside the hole.  I also want to reinforce around the opening with some scrap 1in teak wood.    Im also going to make a rigid foam support block for underneath the cabinet I the back.   ...not completely done but I've been itching to get this cut and in the hole to see what it looks like. 

The next project is removing all the hardware above and I ordered a piece of matterhorn corian to lay on top. I will use the trash can hole to undermount a round sink with a flat bottom with a corian filler for the sink hole.  Ill reinstall the handrail and a nicer faucet

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Very nice and clean!  Great job!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job, not expensive either, when it's finished maybe put it Rinker custom projects.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like that,very good use of the space.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Really nice.  The drawer will be perfect for quick access tools, including bottle openers.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    " Ill reinstall the handrail and a nicer faucet" I'm most interested in this part of your work..
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    That looks awesome!!! As for the new cover plates in your radar arch, I did this last season. 
  • Options
    @diggin2day1, thats exactly what I want to do.  Any info you could share on those recessed lights?
  • Options
    califcocalifco Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    I installed the lights below in the radar arch of my 312. I'm very happy with the lights, simple to install and can change color by turning on and off the switch. I got the info from a past post on this site 

ITC (69660SS-RBW-DB) Red/Blue/White Tricolor LED Light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J58K1ZM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_A1xFyb838E443
  • Options
    Trashman- those are lumitec Mirage LED dimmable white/dimmable blue. They're wired to a regular SPST switch(like the acc switch on dashboard). Simple operation, 2-wire install... not cheap though, Paid approx $90 each. I originally installed the full color spectrum, but they were not dimmable and were just way too bright. I decided to go with these as both the white and the blue were able to be dimmed down to a nice glow to hang out under... super bright on the highest setting as well!! 
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Very nice work! I don't care for my cooler "alcove" either, but on the FV250 my Honda EU2000 generator fits in there perfectly.

Andy
  • Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    andyd said:
    Very nice work! I don't care for my cooler "alcove" either, but on the FV250 my Honda EU2000 generator fits in there perfectly.

Andy
    agreed, i used a door from great lakes skipper.  we didn't use the hot water heater on our 250fv so i removed it as well and it created all kinds of storage. i have all of my spare parts, honda generator, spare fluids, etc under there.
  • Options
    andyd said:

Andy
    agreed, i used a door from great lakes skipper.  we didn't use the hot water heater on our 250fv so i removed it as well and it created all kinds of storage. i have all of my spare parts, honda generator, spare fluids, etc under there.
    Does anyone use hotwater on a boat under 30 ft?  Every single one (including both of mine) have had the option, but no one uses it.. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the hot water on my 280. The occasional shower, washing dishes and filling the blow up bath tub for my daughter all get warm water.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I do use the hot water.   In the fall we were getting every last day out on the river.  The last few days in our cove floating around got chilly after the sun set.  It was nice rinsing off on the swim platform with the hot water.   @J3ff,I know you have a new engine.  I wonder if they ran the water lines through your hot water heater to heat water using the engine...
  • Options
    Trashman said:
    I do use the hot water.   In the fall we were getting every last day out on the river.  The last few days in our cove floating around got chilly after the sun set.  It was nice rinsing off on the swim platform with the hot water.   @J3ff,I know you have a new engine.  I wonder if they ran the water lines through your hot water heater to heat water using the engine...
    They didn't, because the hot water heater is rotten to the core... another thing the guy from LI didn't really mention.. did I mention that I'm never buying another thing from anyone from LI? 
  • Options
    ...Looks like Duane from kentucky  has one in stock if he wants to part with it. @J3ff
  • Options
    LoL - prob wouldn't be worth the shipping.. a cold shower makes the senses stronger anyway :) but thank you for pointing that out! 
  • Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    Trashman said:
    ...Looks like Duane from kentucky  has one in stock if he wants to part with it. @J3ff

its sitting on a shelf in the shed with all the hoses still attached. honestly don't even know if it works. i kept it in case i sell the boat and the new owner wants it, if it don't work then they'll know exactly what model it takes.
  • Options
    ApriceAprice Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    I did the same thing essential. That space is to valuable and i kept the opening the same size and had the door made to fit. I can fit so much under there, it's awesome. Excuse the picture as I cant find one without poor lighting. I think I will look to do the same on the next boat I get, either a 312 or 342. I like your set up of yours also. 

This is the link for the door. You can special order any size you want.
     http://www.boatoutfitters.com/build-your-own-custom-starboard-boat-door
    Anthony Price 
    The Price is Right
    MacRay Harbor, Harrison Twp., MI 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep waiting for picture of the hot chick?old girl friend,  with french accent. LOL
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    randy56 said:
    I keep waiting for picture of the hot chick?old girl friend,  with french accent. LOL

Me too!  :)

• Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    randy56 said:

Me too!  :)
    Lol.  Back in those days you actually had to have a camera!   No pics of the annoying one to post.  And it was French, good guess.  From Canada working in wildwood for the summer.  God bless whomever she's with now! Haha
    @Aprice, very nice! I did spec out a door on a site, might have been this one but it came close to or in excess of 300.00.  Ideally this wasn't what I wanted but the cabinet was priced right.  I was surprised how much the starboard I needed was but I will get use of almost every inch. ... That cutout is the most valuable when it comes to storage for sure. 
  • Options
    @Dream_Inn, off topic for sure but it's looking good so far for the rinkervous.  Got approved for my days.  Still trying to convince the wifey.  It may just be me and the boys but I'm good with that.
     ... Love having something fun to look forward to while in the grips of winter. 
  • Options
    @trashman That's great news!  Definitely talk the wife into going.  I'm sure she'll have a lot of fun with the other admirals (they all get chattin' together as well - heck, she might even find your next boat to move up to :) )  If she doesn't go, she'll wish she had!  It is the one weekend that I look forward to the day after the year before!

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question on arch access plate/light part of this thread. I am about to do the same as diggin, make 3 access plates out of hdpe like starboard with recessed led lights. Like your set up diggin.  I plan to do a light in all 3 plates instead of just the two outer plates. Any reason why Rinker didn't do that in the first place? I know it will be more light, we want more light. Just wondering if I am missing something. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Liberty- If you have radar it may present a depth problem. The mounting bolts protrude under the radar mount into the arch... measure twice brother. 
  • Options
    Thanks, I do have a radar. Absolutely, measuring this weekend, wasn't sure if there was any other reason. Thanks 

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They also had to make room for the wires coming down from the all around light.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Measured today and all good for room for the lights in all 3 plates. I'm going to make a blank plate too in case all 3 is just too much light. @diggin2day1 , where did you buy your starboard? What color did you buy and what worked best for cutting it as an oval? My first thought was jig but. Now thinking dremmel. Thanks!