Options

Battery switch position

Mercury2005Mercury2005 Member Posts: 141 ✭✭
Need clarification on using the three position battery switch.  I tried to open the engine hatch by putting the switch on 'bat 1', no function, tried 'bat 2', no function, tried 'start' and it worked. I did not have the key on when using bat 1 or bat 2 or switch. Should the hatch operate no matter what battery is selected?
Also need help with starting procedure.  
I assume putting the battery switch in the 'start' position is obviously for starting only, and, after starting I need to move the battery switch to either bat 1 or bat 2. Is that correct?
Additionally, can I assume that both batteries get charged no matter which position is selected?
Thanks to all in advance for help.

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    My switch has 1,2 and both.  Doesn't say start like yours.  I would guess start uses both batteries...However I wouldn't use the both setting unless in.a bind and both batteries are too low to start by themselves.  I use 2 for stereo ECT.. and 1 just for starting.

The hatch should open on any switch position...Sounds like your batteries don't have enough charge to work the hatch.

Yes both batteries should charge regardless of switch position.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    super, thanks for the info
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skennelly said:
    My switch has 1,2 and both.  Doesn't say start like yours.  I would guess start uses both batteries...However I wouldn't use the both setting unless in.a bind and both batteries are too low to start by themselves.  I use 2 for stereo ECT.. and 1 just for starting.

The hatch should open on any switch position...Sounds like your batteries don't have enough charge to work the hatch.

really? that would be awesome.. the previous owner of mine told me it only charges whichever one the switch is turned to...which I thought was odd seeing how I've had much older boats that charged both at the same time. 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's what the isolator is for.right on the fire wall.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    skennelly said:

really? that would be awesome.. the previous owner of mine told me it only charges whichever one the switch is turned to...which I thought was odd seeing how I've had much older boats that charged both at the same time. 
    You should have an isolator which charges both batteries no matter what position the switch is in.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, don't you have to have the helm switch on to work the hatch? I have a switch right next to the battery switch which if is not on, none of my helm switches work except for the bilge....
  • Options
    floater212floater212 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
    if you have a dual battery setup do you need an isolator? I have the 1-both-2 off switch and I added a trickle charger when not in use, with battery switch on both to keep them fully charged.  very intrigued by the isolator. any more info would be great. thanks!! 
  • Options
    An isolator has a lug on it that feeds from your alternator.  It has 2 or more additional lugs for the batteries you wish to charge.  That's how it takes a single charge from you alternator and passing it around to all the batteries you have.

Here is a pretty good explanation of the wiring and purpose.

http://bluewatermarinesvc.com/html/bat_isolator.html 
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Does anyone here leave the battery switch on all the time? This is the first boat I've owned that actually has a regular battery switch... 
  • Options
    floater212floater212 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
    yes I leave mine on but that's so I can charge both batteries up. some time I forgot that's it's on both and ski all day long.
  • Options
    I never turn mine off during the season.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    It all depends on how your boat is used.  I trailer my boat home between every trip.  I put my switch to OFF when at home, and throw a charge on them overnight before my next trip... 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    I'm in the water on a mooring.. 
  • Options
    My boat is at a slip all summer and I never shut off the switch. @tniggel, who docks beside me shuts off the helm power breaker when he leaves his boat, but leaves his battery switch on.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a little confused. You're switch says "Start, 1, 2 and OFF"?

I'm going to guess that Start puts the batteries on both - so both in parallel to start the engine.

Bat 1 would then start from Bat 1 and Bat 2 would start from Bat 2.

You need to check the wiring to confirm.

If you have an alternator to charge the batteries, and if it is charging both batteries (you need to confirm), then there should be an isolator.  This will prevent one battery from "charging" up the other battery, and ensures that only the alternator charges a battery, when it needs to be charged.

For that same reason, you should NEVER change the battery switch setting while the boat is running. Reason is as you change the battery switch, there's a surge in power, and that can destroy the isolator.  Destroying the isolator will prevent your batteries from getting charged.

As for the helm not operating - there could only be 2 reasons:

- batteries are dead, or

- power is disconnected (so check for a breaker that has tripped under the helm, or a switch somewhere).

I'm hoping it isn't your batteries that are dead due to switch usage while engine was operating ...

In terms of natural usage of switch, pick one battery you want on your engine (which should be a crank battery, high amps), and choose another that you want on your house (for lights, TV, etc) that should be a deep cycle.

Leave the switch on the battery you want to start your engine.  You do not need to switch it while the engine is running.  If anything, you could switch it off, after you've shut the engine down, and then switch it back before you start your engine again.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Mark,
    I looked at the panel again and it says 'emergency start', sorry for the misidentification. Attached is a pic.  I first put the bat switch in bat 1 and tried to operate the hatch, no go, same with bat 2, no go, only worked in emergency start position. Don't know condition of batts, just bought the boat and got it home to Maryland. Doing a little work on it and needed to open the hatch. With the switch in ES position, the hatch opened with the dash switch.
    I will do more checking when at the boat this week. Where is the isolated located?  It could be the previous owner/operator moved the switch once running.  I will probably replace the isolator just to be sure.
    Thanks for the info.
    This not our first, but is our first boat with all the amenities, so we have a lot of systems to learn.

• Options
    to all that responded to my question, I looked again at the switch panel and it says "Emergency Start", attached is a pic
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    httpd3d71ba2asa5ozcloudfrontnet13000024images48120_1jpg
    This what one looks like, should be mounted on the firewall, not to far from the battrie's
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    I am going to guess that you have 2 battery chargers and no isolator because you have fuses for battery charger 1 and battery charger 2. This is simply a guess but my money is that neither battery was strong enough by themselves to open the hatch but together they were since Emergency Start combines the 2 together. Battery 1 (Starting/High Cranking Amps) should be your start battery which you start the engine and leave it there until you want to stop and run your stereo, lights etc in which time you would switch over to battery 2 (Deep Cycle) while you sit there with the engine not running. Back to Battery 1 to start the engine. I am not sure which battery your alternator charges while the engine is running but I would bet the Starting Battery. Just my thoughts.
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I agree with Hamdog.  I also think you need to take a look at your batteries to see what type you have (Deep Cycle or Starter).  Then you will know what the switch should be on depending on what you are doing.  Also finding the isolator will help know if you are getting charge to both.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    great info guys, thank you.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I'm on the hard  at home I use a pig tail to keep batteries charged. sometime the radio gets left on or something. attached image. then you can use a normal 110 extension cord from home. They cost about $60

https://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-6rtev5owwo/products/225111/images/109968/mar-p15-30_lg__28321.1469113302.1280.1280.jpg?c=2
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    I'm with Handy, I think both batteries are weak, but together there's enough power to lift the Hatch ... or ... that switch isn't wired correctly (who knows).

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    The breakers for the batteries on the panel are the DC breakers for the batteries. There is one AC to DC charger on the boat, that feeds to an isolator, then to the breaker then to the batteries. The alternator is connected in the same manor. I agree that the batteries are low. Here is a diagram that is close to how the DC part of it should be wired.

Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Cableguy Greg The diagram shows switch position #1 is the engine battery.  Is that always the case assuming no one has changed the factory settings?  Battery switch position #2 is always the house battery?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    That's how it should be, but not always the case. You would have to verify it on your boat.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    On my previous boat, Bat 1 was the crank battery on the engine and Bat 2 was the deep cycle on the house circuit.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    followup on switch position.  I removed the battery switch panel from aft star side and traced the battery wires.  The left side (bat 1) wire goes to a battery, right side (bat 2) goes what looks like directly to the starter and the center (emergency start) goes to the other battery. Can someone tell me if this looks correct?
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    @Mercury2005 same boat here.  Battery position #1 for me is starting, #2 is house as mentioned.  To be sure of this, I did process of elimination by taking out the house battery and leaving one in.  Switch #1 started the boat with one battery in, but none of the house accessories worked.  Put it on #2, boat wouldnt start but house accessories worked.  

I keep the switch on on "emergency start" when charging as if I keep it on #1 or #2, one battery dies.  I have one battery charger and its new.  I wonder if I have an isolator or tech wired new charger wrong?  Been dealing with battery charging issues for a while now.  I will look this weekend.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270