Options

Took out cooler opening in my 270.....EDIT pics added

BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
Wow, I can't believe how much room is in behind there, its going to be great once I get a door on it. What a waste of unused space.
2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
Post edited by BellevilleMXZ on

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed  a child could ride in there.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    DazeOffDazeOff Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    I did the same thing and the extra room is great. I can fit a cooler, cleaning supplies and the kids water toys. Big difference.

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love that grill mount!! way better than the swim platform one..
  • Options
    DazeOffDazeOff Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    I like to keep the swim platform free of anything that gets in the way of fishing or my kids. They love diving off it when we're on the hook. That huge platform IMO, is one of the best features of the 270. Besides, have the BBQ near the sink, cutting board and trash can just make sense. Catch it, clean it cook it and eat it.
  • Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    i have a 250ec and i did the same thing, i went as far as to take out my hot water tank as well. i put my 2000 watt honda genny in that space as well as all my extra fluid and spare parts. i love the spare space. great lakes skipper seemed to have the best selection for the door you will need. if i remember correctly, i bought mine for under 75 bucks.

• Options
    i have a 250ec and i did the same thing, i went as far as to take out my hot water tank as well. i put my 2000 watt honda genny in that space as well as all my extra fluid and spare parts. i love the spare space. great lakes skipper seemed to have the best selection for the door you will need. if i remember correctly, i bought mine for under 75 bucks.

250s water heater is in there eh.....not enough room down below I guess? 
  • Options

you mean you put it in the cooler cut out space right?  I'm thinking about doing that, but it would need to be sealed so that fumes can't make it into the engine bay... have you done anything about that?  If you are saying you put it where the hot water heater is, then do some googling, everything I found said putting a portable gen in the engine bay is certain death. 
  • Options
    AccidentalSuperstarAccidentalSuperstar Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Hey BellevilleMXZ - do you have any beforehand and during pix you could post?
    great project, looks good!
    If your going to do something, do it now. Tomorrow is too late.
  • Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    J3ff said:

you mean you put it in the cooler cut out space right?  I'm thinking about doing that, but it would need to be sealed so that fumes can't make it into the engine bay... have you done anything about that?  If you are saying you put it where the hot water heater is, then do some googling, everything I found said putting a portable gen in the engine bay is certain death. 

i just store it in that space. i run the genny on the swim platform when in use

• Options
    Yes, even storing it there is no good...  
  • Options
    Hey BellevilleMXZ - do you have any beforehand and during pix you could post?
    great project, looks good!

Door not installed yet, I'll get pics forsure
  • Options
    Finished today finally
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    1. Wow that is CLEAN in there, how'd you manage that?

2. Where'd you get the carpet from and how much?! :) 

3. What were the exact measurements you used? completely want to copy you. 
  • Options

Just a good clean with spray 9.....I'm a little fussy....lol

Snap in carpets.....just laid in there today, gotta get snaps on it. 1250.....pricey but I don't have the spare time to cut/sew/screw around. This way get the color we want too. Feels great on the feet, and color shouldnt show dirt.

The door? opening is 21 by 21 on mine, you have to trim the corners though, as the orig is quite rounded, .......I also had to trim one side a bit......opening wasn't perfect. Used a dremel with a tile bit, and kept vac. right close to keep mess to a minimum. Got it from boat outfitters.....one of best mods I did

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BMXZ, beautiful install and carpet.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Really nice! I was thinking of switching carpets over to grey as well... have a thread around here devoted to your new carpets anywhere? :) 

That is their "white/white" color right?  Do you know what they are talking about with a bulb seal?
  • Options

Its seagrass #7 (MW#7) -----bulb seal, probably the binding?

Order Number: S637

Carpet Selection: MW#7
    Binding: Black 4608
    Using:
    R pattern
    2005 Rinker 270 FV
    Snaps on / Separate: SEP 28
    Number of Pieces: 4

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:

That is their "white/white" color right?  Do you know what they are talking about with a bulb seal?
    The bulb seal is the waterproof seal on the door. If the door is going to be outside in the cockpit area, you are going to want that seal.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Duh.....i thought he was talking about carpet...

Ill.look at order tonight to see what color it was
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Oops... wrong thread!!! Lol
  • Options
    J3ff said:
    Really nice! I was thinking of switching carpets over to grey as well... have a thread around here devoted to your new carpets anywhere? :) 

Build Your Own - Starboard Boat Door [Teak Isle]
    Color: Arctic White
    Hinges: Height - Hinging Right
    Lock Type: SS Non Locking
    Bulb Seal: No Seal
    Vented Louvers: No Louvers

Height: 21"
    Width: 21"
    MeasurementType: Cutout
    $213.88
    $213.88

• Options
    Thanks, I ordered mine today..! 
  • Options
    So I got mine... not sure I'm thrilled with the finish though, not sure what to do.. take a look at the pictures... door doesn't seem to line up right, does yours do this??

• Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Is there any adjustment on the hinge screws... just looks to be sitting a bit low. 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably square up when screwed to a sold serfuss
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    welliswellis Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    J3ff said:
    So I got mine... not sure I'm thrilled with the finish though, not sure what to do.. take a look at the pictures... door doesn't seem to line up right, does yours do this??

Looks like it could probably square up when installed. Is it same size as cooler cut out? Where did you order? Thanks
  • Options
    Ya it does flex and square up. Ya didn't get stainless latch ? ?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    nah, I have a black/grey/white theme going on...so far... speakers/hull color/soon to be carpets/bimini and other things.. 
  • Options
    wellis said:
    J3ff said:

Looks like it could probably square up when installed. Is it same size as cooler cut out? Where did you order? Thanks
    Installed:

Same problem :(
  • Options
    edited June 2017